What happened to the guitar Shops in the Boston?

The Viking Gangster

One thing I love to do when visiting a new area is to go check out high end guitar shops. Last week I was in Burlington, MA right outside of Boston on business. Therefore, I googled guitar shops in the area and in Boston expecting to find some high end guitar shop, however, I did not find much outside of Guitar Center on my smart phone.

Minneapolis has Willies, Twin City Guitars, and others in addition to the 3 Guitar Centers throughout the area. Chicago has the Chicago Music Exchange. Back in the 70's, in Boston, there was a place called Wurlitzer guitar which no longer exist. Did Guitar Center eat up all the shops in the city?

One thing I love to do when visiting a new area is to go check out high end guitar shops. Last week I was in Burlington, MA right outside of Boston on business. Therefore, I googled guitar shops in the area and in Boston expecting to find some high end guitar shop, however, I did not find much outside of Guitar Center on my smart phone.

Minneapolis has Willies, Twin City Guitars, and others in addition to the 3 Guitar Centers throughout the area. Chicago has the Chicago Music Exchange. Back in the 70's, in Boston, there was a place called Wurlitzer guitar which no longer exist. Did Guitar Center eat up all the shops in the city?
I live 10 minutes away from Burlington, and you're right. There are no high end guitar shops close by north of the city. South of Boston there's Matt's music, and Axe palace. Both are about 30 minutes without fighting city traffic. Then 45 minutes north there's John Mann's guitar vault in NH.
There are 5 guitar centers in the area, but they don't carry many high end guitars in stock. I remember Wurlitzer and Daddy's junky music which is no longer around.
There are a couple specialty shops like music emporium in Lexington, but they only deal in high end acoustics.

Last edited:
I live about an hour south of Boston, but I work everyday in the city as a carpenter and I'll tell you what, we are in need of more music stores. It's a shame to see that over time, these brick and mortar stores have nearly disappeared...I understand that in this day in age it's tough, especially in the city where rent is so high. I build big residential/commercial towers, and most of these tiny studio/1-br apartments are going for nearly $3,000 a month, Nevermind commercial real estate which is astronomical... The great news is, there are some really awesome stores as stated above like John Manns guitar vault and the axe palace, so at least we have a few killer places, and I much prefer doing business with those guys as opposed to the big box stores, who don't supply nearly the expertise and inventory of PRS guitars.

I live about an hour south of Boston, but I work everyday in the city as a carpenter and I'll tell you what, we are in need of more music stores. It's a shame to see that over time, these brick and mortar stores have nearly disappeared...I understand that in this day in age it's tough, especially in the city where rent is so high. I build big residential/commercial towers, and most of these tiny studio/1-br apartments are going for nearly $3,000 a month, Nevermind commercial real estate which is astronomical... The great news is, there are some really awesome stores as stated above like John Manns guitar vault and the axe palace, so at least we have a few killer places, and I much prefer doing business with those guys as opposed to the big box stores, who don't supply nearly the expertise and inventory of PRS guitars.

I live in town and do wish we had a cool music store in town. the GC was ok years ago when it was on Comm Ave. but I haven't been impressed with the Fenway location .

I used to love GC on Comm Ave, but as said hasn't been the same since it moved. Daddy's closing was a big loss for used gear. All the before mentioned are great choices (Matts really is the high end destination in Mass). Mr Cs in Allston can have some good stuff, but definitely a smaller store. Like Mr Smith himself has said though if we want to keep these places open we need to start shopping them more. It is tough though because with PRS you know you can buy site unseen and it'll still be good

I live 10 minutes away from Burlington, and you're right. There are no high end guitar shops close by north of the city. South of Boston there's Matt's music, and Axe palace. Both are about 30 minutes without fighting city traffic. Then 45 minutes north there's John Mann's guitar vault in NH.
There are 5 guitar centers in the area, but they don't carry many high end guitars in stock. I remember Wurlitzer and Daddy's junky music which is no longer around.
There are a couple specialty shops like music emporium in Lexington, but they only deal in high end acoustics.

I didn't even think about the NH area.

I liked the Burlington and surrounding areas. Miss that New England style and living amongst the trees. Thanks for the Reply.

This side of the pond it's a 5 hour round trip from where I live, in fact I can be in France quicker so it's an all dayer for me & i've come to Love It. Kid in a sweet shop and all that. !!!

Back