What guitar to choose

Robert0253

I am looking at the new 2017 Gibson Les Paul Traditional T. It is an extremely nice guitar. I was wondering what model PRS single cut would be equivalent to the traditional T as far as sound, weight, components. Planning a trip to the Chicago area to try out as many guitars I can find at the different guitar shops. Was wanting a PRS model to look at for side by side comparison.

Enjoy your hunting trip! Always exciting to look at new stuff.

In my most humble opinion...some of the PRS SE Singlecut guitars will outshine an LP.

I had a 2016 Studio T...and wanted to love it, desperately. When I compared it to my Zach Meyers, though...the Gibby didn't seem so great anymore. I also fell into a Bernie Marsden SE, which is, in my mind, a real LP killer, with the upgrades I slapped on it.

I don't hold any grudges toward LPs. I think they look awesome, and I'm certain some play perfect. For me, though...the PRS SE was just a better quality guitar...for less than half the price.

All that said, though...world famous musicians who've made a career with LP guitars can't all be wrong!

End of the day, play as many as you can, and pick the one that makes you giggle like a school girl. (Not to sound creepy....)

SC 594. Not sure there are any floating around Chicago yet. I agree with Drawshot with respect to the SE Bernie (no experience with the Zach). A couple of years ago I went to the local GC with the intent of buying an LP. I played everything they had, in my budget range (up to $2.5k), including a bunch of EPI's just for grins. I didn't bond with any of them. This one didn't sound right, that one didn't feel right, etc.etc.etc. I was getting bummed, and then I spotted this single cut PRS hanging on the wall. It was an SE Bernie Marsden. I wasn't at all familiar with it, so I grabbed it to check it out. Wow! I was floored. Spent less than 10 minutes with it, and never bothered to plug it in. It just felt so good. Walked out with it, and a bunch of leftover cash in my pocket! I have since done some upgrades to it, not that it needed it. I like to tinker, and I figured I could make it over-the-top in terms of sound.

Bottom line, play as much as you can, and grab the one that "speaks" to you. If you're headed to Chicago, make sure Chicago Music Exchange is on your list. They've got a lot of what you're looking for.

I read a lot up on the Bernie Marsden model and watched an interview of him about his LP the beast and his deal with PRS. Definitely a guitar I will take a look at for sure. Sounded good on line, but I cant play like him. Amazing how a pro can make about anything sound amazing. I have a PRS S2 custom 24 and love it. Thanks for the replies. I will definitely check the models out you guys put on here.

Not sure where you're coming from, but if Milwaukee isn't a stretch, take a trip up there too. Distinctive Guitars would be worth the trip. I haven't been there myself, yet (I'm in the far western Chicago suburbs), but I know a couple of guys that have dealt with them. I've been checking their website a bunch too. One of these days........

I read a lot up on the Bernie Marsden model and watched an interview of him about his LP the beast and his deal with PRS. Definitely a guitar I will take a look at for sure. Sounded good on line, but I cant play like him. Amazing how a pro can make about anything sound amazing. I have a PRS S2 custom 24 and love it. Thanks for the replies. I will definitely check the models out you guys put on here.

I'm quite certain that if Bernie heard me play, he'd punch me in the nether region and take my guitar away from me.

I'll NEVER play even remotely close to the way he does...but it doesn't stop me from enjoying it. If the SE I have was modelled after the Beast, with respect to specs, then I'm fully understanding what the magic is behind his.

The guitar is just exceptional.

As for the ZM...it is equally fantastic. Different feel and sound, what with the semi-hollow body...but very, very easy to play, and built incredibly well.

I'm sincere when I say that both blew my LP Studio out if the water.

Enjoy the search, and try everything you can. There's no law saying that LP or PRS are THE right one for you...but I know where I'd throw MY funds!!! :)

Matter of fact...if PRS is, in fact, kicking out a BM SE for 2017, I'll be first in line to snag another one...without question.

Now...if price isn't your primary concern...and if you're willing to go above comparable LP Traditional dollars...you will NEVER go wrong with an SC594. I feel as though it is the end-all, be-all Singlecut guitar...headstock logos be damned. It is the culmination of everything that a guitar should be, and absolutely a pleasure to play. Damned near plays itself!

I will be buried with mine. Even in the afterlife, I'll be butchering barre chords with it.

Last edited:
SC594 will be the closest, but they are new and there are not too many out in the wild yet.

I did this very recently actually, I picked out a few of the cheaper Gibson's and directly compared them to a 2017 PRS SE Bernie Marsden. The quality and the finish was way better on the PRS!

Back