What guitar that you still own has been in your possession the longest?

Mid 60's Gibson SG custom purchased used
("Vintage" was about wine back then.)
on Feb. 1, 1969 from a store in Manhattan.
The guitar has been heavily modified over the years.
(The store is no longer there.)

w2j21Gi.jpg

67890961_511618036048755_3794911829770490182_n.jpg

'88 Am Std, '89 Am Std, '87 MIJ Squier, '90 360/12.

This picture was taken in '91. I had already installed a left handed trem on my red Strat and began the Relic process - note the cigarette burn (parents weren't happy with me).

I wish I had someway of proving or taking credit for the relic thing. As a child of Star Wars, the idea of Lucas' "used universe" made me happy. I started hanging out of Southworth Guitars near American University in DC when I was a teenager and became crazed over the look of a Pre-CBS Fender. Being too poor to swing a '61 Strat for $2K, I created my own - this picture of a picture barely touches on the dumb stuff I did to that poor guitar.

New and clean is boring and lifeless.

Mine is the MUCH HATED Fender Antigua Strat.

To be fair, this was my 1st "REAL" guitar I ever owned.

I'd been learning guitar and to pretty good on the cheap guitars, so my Dad said it was time to get a good guitar.

I really knew nothing about different models, necks, pickups etc.

I wanted a guitar that looked cool to me.

I walked in and checked out all the guitars on the racks and I spotted the Antiqua, which to me look like Shark skin in it's new form.

Told my dad this was the one, and it became my go to for about 12+ years.

I really didn't know how much the Antigua colored guitars were abhorred on guitar forums.

It doesn't bother me at all because this guitar has A LOT of sentimental value to me because my father bought it for me.

It's the oldest guitar in my collection

MY 1979 Fender Antigua Strat.

47214663982_4e18a68d4f_b.jpg

I don't have my first guitar I purchased any more. But this is currently the one I've had the longest (1995 Taylor 812)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fTNmFhGZ35dfDaCq8

edit - been using tinypic for image hosting but seems they are gone now. I can't figure out how to show the pic now.

Last edited:
My first PRS, a '91 Special that I ordered half way through my very short military 'career'

D4pjnIpUwAAqpuG

I put $250 down and paid off 250/month for another 6 months which was my whole paycheck at the time, but I didn't care about anything else at the time and had free room and board. In classic PRS style, it still took months after that for it to finally show up. I put at least 10,000 hours on her when I was a professional musician after my tour, the frets are ready to be replaced, the nut has been shimmed at least twice now, and the volume knob has gone all stiff. I should send her off to the PTC, but I'd kinda rather let her relax in retirement than put in a box and mailed clear across the country.

Still plays great though, and has that early 90's PRS all-hog sound.

Here is mine. 1991 G&L ASAT bought new in scenic Plainfield, Indiana. Not my first guitar, but my first true love. You don't HAVE to post pics of yours, but it'd be cooler if you did.
image-jpeg.195970
Mine is a 1980 Ovation Custom Balladeer. Still in pretty mint condition.

Back