What guitar that you still own has been in your possession the longest?

This thread necro is brought to you by my oldest beastie, a one-off built by luthier Ed Reynolds (I believe either for himself originally, or as a NAMM sample... I forget which). I've put many, many miles on it since acquiring from him in 1993. She's a bit faded and scarred, but still enormously fun. Administered some much needed TLC today and am pretty delighted with the results. I give you.... my little slice of nerd heaven.

(Sorry for the harsh indoor lighting and occasional cat hair. :oops:)

ugpFZpn.jpg

IVskd2c.jpg

OdSNfE9.jpg

icPKd75.jpg

8qLl2RQ.jpg

NyLI0pA.jpg

VMX3Zf3.jpg

zSPbqnV.jpg

8GsEgit.jpg

o6brIxb.jpg

Koa body, set maple & mahogany neck, ziricote board, locking Sperzels, modded Bartolini actives, Wilkinson trem with an ingenious spring-loaded arm height & angle mechanism. The switching block gives you two rows of five buttons, laid out like a 5-way in sequence. Top row = coil taps. Bottom row = humbuckers. The intent was to be able to access any of the pickup positions with just one click. Works like a treat. That little reed switch activates an onboard (adjustable) EQ boost, and there's a separate treble boost that kicks in at about 9/10 on the tone knob. Pots are push-pulls; pop up the volume knob and you bypass the onboard electronics (with inner adjustable, hidden EQ!) to go passive, pop up the tone knob and you bypass the tone circuitry. Intended string gauge is .0095, .012, .017, .026, .036, .046. Would you believe I can't even remember the scale length? I knew these things once...

So many great memories with this axe in my hands, every time I pick her up it's like getting a hug from your favorite relative. One of these days I'll get her refinished or at least touched up, as there's a bit of pitting and cracking developing. That rubber grommet around the input jack just gave out and popped as I was taking these photos, haha.

Here is mine. 1991 G&L ASAT bought new in scenic Plainfield, Indiana. Not my first guitar, but my first true love. You don't HAVE to post pics of yours, but it'd be cooler if you did.
image-jpeg.195970
hi l have had my ovation Celebrity Pro since 1983

manasseh.jpg

This is a pic of me with my first guitar. I have had this one since I acquired it some time around 1366 from a travelling merchant in trade for some goat skins I had laying around. thats me and my buddy Lucien jamming out to some Zep. Unfortunately he got a little carried away while we were playing Fowles in the Frith and ripped into this super bitchin solo and some old lady accused him of heresy. he was burned at the stake later that day.

1984 Guild D64. Bought new in '84. In fact, the only acoustic I have owned since then - it has been PLAYED!

walrus

I do believe that would be an original Ibanez GB-10 (George Benson model) with Johnny Smith type pickups. Really nice guitar.

Hi
well l have did have three but belive it or not the worst one l had a Ovation 12 it was not a good sound like l was excepting, I did have Faith Saturn ,,,, just an amazing guitar

all the best
Allan

Last edited:
'99 American Standard strat. Got it new and on sale at a GC just as the "American Series" was coming out. They had all the old ones corralled in one spot on stands like puppies up for adoption. This one called out to me. Lots of sentimental value to me. It's had to have the neck replaced and has had a million different pickups in it but I love it. The neck pocket date is the same as my wedding anniversary (day not year) so it's the one guitar my wife actually won't let me sell. Haha. Even though I've kind of played guitar since I was a kid, this was the guitar I essentially learned to play on.

My grandmother bought me my first guitar when I was about 14. It's an Ibanez RG120. I've swapped out the stock pickups for SD JB and Jazz combo. I've owned this guitar for 15+ years and I'll never get rid of her.

IMG_1440.jpg

I have sold all of my older guitars, because other than for sentimental reasons, I think newer guitars are better constructed and are better sounding. This applies to PRS as well as to other well known brands.

Sorry fro the resurrection of this thread but I just found it and thought I'd show off may old baby. This was given to me new by my parents as a joint 11th birthday / christmas present (there 6 weeks apart) back in 1982.

1982 Gibson Spirit 1

Last edited:
Fylde Oberon. Had this since early 70s. I fact I bought it from English luthier Roger Bucknall who still makes his Fylde models to this day. This was from a small batch of 'seconds' (not for sale due to small flaws) kept back at his old workshop Progress Mill in Kirkham. These were just about affordable to me at that time. I spent several hours there playing guitars and even stayed for lunch with Roger and his two assistants. The Oberons a little beat up now, but plays fine.

Spruce top. Indian rosewood back & sides. Ebony fingerboard.

qFLIW0E.jpg

SQXyszS.jpg

Last edited:
I've had so much rotation in my guitar collection that I am pretty sure that my oldest guitar is now my CU24 which was made on National Heavy Metal Day 11/11/11 and I became the first owner in 2013.
PRS-2011-Cu24_57-08s_2760.jpg

It seems that I also joined this forum around the same time that I got re-bit by the PRS bug and bought this guitar.

Bought it new in 1982...my beautiful San Dimas Charvel as pictured in my avatar. I also have my first guitar, a Pan strat bought used in 1979 but have not touched it since the Charvel.

Back