What guitar that you still own has been in your possession the longest?

That worked, I'm just an idiot and completely missed that whole part of the page Lol

Me too. I freely admit to the wife that I am an idiot. But if she ever calls me stupid.....look out! Her sh!t will be on the lawn, and I'll have more room for guitars!

Ok, not really. After 29 years, it would take a lot.

Desert Sun Yellow 1987 Ibanez 540S....first year with the 3 on/off switches and the coil tap on the volume. It is the ONLY guitar that has been with me no matter what. It has proven to be the one that I will keep no matter what. I got it in 1987 - it was purchased and then returned. I got it used, but it was and still is immaculate. It is 100% original, down to the screws. These days it is a case queen. The last time I had it out was two months ago to show it to a friend. He strummed it for a few minutes and then it went back into the case. In May I will have had this guitar 30 years.

DSCN3351.jpg

DSCN3348.jpg

DSCN3349.jpg

My '77 Strat. August will be 40. It was junk when I got it(9-1 tuning ratio, a neck gap so wide I could rock it several degrees, cheap pots/pickups). Luckily, I was impressionable, had a collection of Guitar Player magazine and read all the mods that could be accomplished.... which I did do several times in one year.

BTW, I've had my '81 MKIIC Boogie from day one(not sure why I sold my MKI stack for $600...sigh).

I still have my first acoustic worth less than 100 euros nearly 20 years old my les Paul supreme nearly 15 years old I have a 1971 strat that was my dads signed by the stones

My 1985 Kramer Classic strat clone is my oldest original guitar. It was a guitar when I didn't have any coming out of a divorce that forced their sale. I actually inherited the thing from a deceased friend. He had done "questonable" things to it.. A MOP pickguard loaded with three lace sensors..ugg. He removed the 4th dummy coil and it buzzed like a banshee until l got it sorted. The frets are about { } this tall now..It needs a face lift. Shoots, in original condition, these things are going for a grand to collectors, they probably weren't worth 100 bucks over the last couple of decades. It's candy red.. ugg. But I still play it with intentions of returning it to it's orginal appearance some day.

I have a 1983 G&L nighthawk that I bought new in 1983. Very high quality guitar.

The store was JC Boddickers in Cedar Rapids Iowa.

Mine would be my 2004 Gibson Les Paul Studio (I believe that maybe it's a Platinum Studio but not certain. It was a limited run of a GC/Musician's Friend promo). The EMG 81/85s in the picture have since been replaced by EMG 57/66 pickups and currently she has been semi-retired since I got the DGT and Tremonti SE. She's been beat to hell and the headstock has been broken 4 times and she has some bad intonation issues recently that need to get sorted out soon but she's still a great guitar.

I have a 1983 G&L nighthawk that I bought new in 1983. Very high quality guitar.

The store was JC Boddickers in Cedar Rapids Iowa.
I don't usually like the responses without pics, but since it's a G&L, you get a big thumbs up!

The one I have had the longest is My '08 Mira that I got via a trade for my '02 CE24. I have had it since 2010. Neck was sheared off at the heel joint when I was hit on the side by a truck probably doing at least 40mph. Got it fixed and still plays great. Left the battle scars because the color has been long since discontinued, was a DuPont Hot Hues color they did a long while back, and it was out of budget. Only change I have made is the tonepros locking studs.

My longest owned is my Godin LGX from '96 (in front of the couch, second from the left). It now has PRS pups (one from Sergio--thanks again!, and one from the SC Standard on the couch). I don't pay it as much anymore, but every time I get it out I have a smile on my face. It's the only piezo-equipped electric I've played that sounds as good or better than my PRS II.

Last edited:
Mine would be my 2004 Gibson Les Paul Studio (I believe that maybe it's a Platinum Studio but not certain. It was a limited run of a GC/Musician's Friend promo). The EMG 81/85s in the picture have since been replaced by EMG 57/66 pickups and currently she has been semi-retired since I got the DGT and Tremonti SE. She's been beat to hell and the headstock has been broken 4 times and she has some bad intonation issues recently that need to get sorted out soon but she's still a great guitar.

Nice!! I have one of those. Same color, but black hardware. '92. was my second (or third?) though... 490/498s in it though.

Thanks. I would love to post more pics on here but it is such a pita to do.

Of course I could be doing it wrong.

Just try it from the other side!

Wait...

It's actually pretty easy. In very simple terms, you just have to post a link to the picture. So it has to be on the web somewhere.

Not the first owned, but first built...
Pardon the image quality. Old school photos. Early nineties stuff here...

All maple. Birdseye fingerboard. Carvin pickups. Not a trem. Really full neck like a Santana.
Spz68G4.jpg

This thing turned out quite heavy...
F48s4zc.jpg

Got pretty good at shaping the neck with this one. Almost pattern thin feel. Pretty decent unplugged sound too.
gKJQ7Il.jpg

Ok, I bought the neck from Carvin on this one...
Gibson pickups.
UQpQtin.jpg

I love wooden cavity covers
lAFHEsl.jpg

This was the first one. I had to enlarge the shape with a xerox. No internet back then.
DZyCIx1.jpg

I also built a speaker cabinet...
yiPTH3M.jpg

All this was early nineties...
I never finished this neck. Dual carbon rods and double-action truss rod. Was going to build a Parker Fly.
SkAIjYX.jpg

I didn't want it to show any opening on the headstock so the adjustment is on the butt end. Not really thought that through completely.

Last edited:
Not the first owned, but first built...
Pardon the image quality. Old school photos. Early nineties stuff here...

All maple. Birdseye fingerboard. Carvin pickups. Not a trem. Really full neck like a Santana.
080E9272-1769-4C7D-A130-AA2261081C08_zpsadwxpzni.jpg

This thing turned out quite heavy...
0A7C65D6-8CAC-44F4-8B2E-7E625880BCF4_zpskzmqt6kk.jpg

Got pretty good at shaping the neck with this one. Almost pattern thin feel. Pretty decent unplugged sound too.
5BE01EC2-EDA4-4DE6-BEB2-EF3A365CC34F_zpspti7nu7b.jpg

Ok, I bought the neck from Carvin on this one...
Gibson pickups.
45899775-38EE-426F-BEFF-45675958A035_zpsltbxmwc0.jpg

I love wooden cavity covers
A5AC1840-CF26-48D9-967C-81FBA16D86D8_zps0hhcgwju.jpg

This was the first one. I had to enlarge the shape with a xerox. No internet back then.
0399C8EA-76B9-46AF-821B-6B7CAAAE6686_zpszz01v53y.jpg

I also built a speaker cabinet...
AB95AB77-E812-4195-A8B6-A2BC05F4D066_zpsn8emu269.jpg

All this was early nineties...
I never finished this neck. Dual carbon rods and double-action truss rod. Was going to build a Parker Fly.
89B0A12E-7A3C-48EA-A4DC-A3776CC9B20D_zpsjz9ysaf5.jpg

I didn't want it to show any opening on the headstock so the adjustment is on the butt end. Not really thought that through completely.

Cool stuff!

Back