What gauge and string brand on PRS SE Custom 24

Craig Clark

Hi All,

I recently purchased my first PRS, an SE Custom 24 in Trampas green I love the guitar it’s the best playing guitar I own.

Upon researching I heard these are factory strung with 9-42. Curious to find out what gauge and brand you guys use on your PRS.

I tried to find PRS strings here in Australia but they are not easy to get. I put Ernie ball super slinky in 9 gauge on but it felt better with the original strings which I assume are the PRS ones

Thanks All

The PRS strings are made to their specs by D'Addario, I believe.

I play D'Addario NYXLs, and am partial to the 9.5" gauge.

Yours did come with 9's. If you go to 10's, you may get some binding in the nut, which can be widened.

Hi All,

I recently purchased my first PRS, an SE Custom 24 in Trampas green I love the guitar it’s the best playing guitar I own.

Upon researching I heard these are factory strung with 9-42. Curious to find out what gauge and brand you guys use on your PRS.

I tried to find PRS strings here in Australia but they are not easy to get. I put Ernie ball super slinky in 9 gauge on but it felt better with the original strings which I assume are the PRS ones

Thanks All

Lately, I've been stringing about everything with Ernie Ball Slinky Pure Nickel "10's"...

Have really fallen in love with those strings of late!

I put Ernie ball super slinky in 9 gauge on but it felt better with the original strings

I have two SE Custom24s and they're my favorite solid body electrics :)

I've always used Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9s and never noticed any difference, but perhaps someone here can say more about the original strings?

Yeah I have EB super slinky on now but I preferred the feel of the original. The EB in 9 can feel a little slinky at times.

I got a set of NYXL in 9 gauge will try those, the PRS guitar strings seem hard to come by here in Australia

I use D'addario NYXL 10-52 on my CE24 for Standard and Drop D tunings mainly. You'd definitely need to file the nut to accommodate if you wanted to go that route, but they sound awesome.

I know the SE's come with 9's so probably stick with the NYXL 9s if you want it to feel close to stock. I used 10's on my SE Santana (which I no longer have). I'm currently using NYXL 10-46 on my CE-24 now. I tried 10-52's but went back to 10-46 due to strings binding in the nut and going out of tune -as DrDoom touched on above. But I may get a new setup for 11's and get nut widened in the near future though.

Ernie Ball 9s currently. still trying others as well but EB is a safe bet.
I like D'Addarios as well. Have the EXP110 on my Santana.
I tried PRS strings, but really leaning towards the above two brands.
Not a fan of GHS Boomers, but using 9.5 GHS Rockers lets me downtune a guitar with 9s to Eb without messing with the trem. I also have Rockers on a strat and they sound great, while the Boomer seem to go dull very fast.
I put Gibson strings on the LPs, but might switch to EB on the USA models and leave the vintage on the R9.

10s on most of my guitars, and 9s on the SE, a Yamaha Image (because that's what it came with), and a homemade ax.
PRS cores, Gibsons, and my shred RGX have 10s.

I like the PRS strings (9-42) on my SE Custom 24. I was using Ernie Balls on my last guitar, but the PRS strings feel really comfortable.

When I first got my SE Custom 24 I liked the 9s fine. But, as time went on, I thought the tone needed some mellowing out. So, I switched to 10's and have never looked back. The 9's were ok but I got better tones out of the 10's and I got less fret buzz.

10-46 DR Pure Blues nickel round-wound for me. You can easily widen your nut slots with a set of slightly modified feeler gauges.

Hi, I am a newbie here at the Forum, could someone tell me please, what strings came on a Santana Signature series 2010 model year, the brand and gauge.
Thanks in advance.
GT

I guess I am different I use Ernie Ball 8/S, however from the PRS site;

Changing String Gauges
If you decide to change your string gauges from the factory installed string gauges, please be sure to remember that the guitar may need to be set-up to accommodate this change. This may include checking the action, intonation, neck relief, pickup height, and nut slots of the instrument. We set-up the guitars at our factory with the following string gauges:

Most solidbody instruments are factory set-up with 10 - 46 gauge strings.

All SE* instruments are factory set-up with 9 - 42 gauge strings (except for the Mike Mushok Baritone, which is set-up with D?Addario XL157 - 14-68). *SE Bernie Marsden comes setup with 10-46 gauge strings.

The DGT is factory set up with 11 - 49 gauge strings with unwound 3rd.

The non-piezo Hollowbody models are factory set-up with 10 - 46 gauge strings. The piezo equipped Hollowbody models are factory set up with 11 - 49 gauge strings with a wound 3rd.

Back