What finish did I buy? CE 24 incoming.

The Steady

I purchased this CE 24 online this morning, impulse buy based on price, supposedly mint condition and listed as model year 2017 and amber finish. It's not regular amber, but some sort of burst, and with the coloring on the back I'm leaning Violin Amber Sunburst after looking at some online images and the 2017 catalog but then the close up shows maybe some cherry. What say you all? Images from listing.

Last edited:
According to the catalog that year the three burst finishes available were Black Cherry Burst, Vintage Sunburst, and Violin Amber Sunburst. It looks nothing like the vintage 'bursts I've seen so I guess it comes down the Black Cherry or Violin Amber. Once it ships and arrives I'll get a better look at the colors in person to see how dark it is at the edges and how much red is in there.

Looks like Violin Amberburst to me. One of the few finishes that wrap around with no binding.
That seems like it might be the ticket then. I didn't notice the lack of binding at first but it definitely contributes to the appeal of this guitar for me. I like simple.

The guitar arrived on my lunch break, well-timed by the FedEx man because I was actually home. Here is a quick finish shot showing the burst, and the slightly visible cap at the edges (so it isn't exactly like the darker wrap finishes I've seen). Still looking like Violin Amber Burst? Proper NGD pictures to come after work.

Last edited:
Sorry folks, no NGD post forthcoming. :(

There was an issue with the toggle (intermittent middle position) and when I opened up the back I could see something was off on the wiring. I message the seller asking if any work had been done and it turns out the bridge 85/15 was replaced with a Tremonti, not my style at all and not original as I expected. I am working with the seller to ship it back for a refund. The hunt continues.

Back