What exactly is Carlos playing here?

tdarian

Searching for the sound
Carlos Santana and Billy Strings played with Bill Kreitzmann’s Billy & the Kids yesterday. Carlos was playing what looks like an SC245 but I’m curious about what it actually is.

Does anyone here know?

001(4).PNG

Teal-Black or Trampas; the light at this distance doesn't show much wood grain...non-10? Mebbe? Looks to be a core model. Wraparound bridge, #7's? Most SCs had #7's. Curious about the tuners...not Klusons? Mahogany neck. IRW fretboard. (Headstock would be same color if it were rosewood neck)

Carlos Santana and Billy Strings played with Bill Kreitzmann’s Billy & the Kids yesterday. Carlos was playing what looks like an SC245 but I’m curious about what it actually is.

Does anyone here know?

001(4).PNG
Any idea where on island that show took place? At Billy's house? At Carlos's new house? Do you live on island?

Cheers~
MW

Teal-Black or Trampas; the light at this distance doesn't show much wood grain...non-10? Mebbe? Looks to be a core model. Wraparound bridge, #7's? Most SCs had #7's. Curious about the tuners...not Klusons? Mahogany neck. IRW fretboard. (Headstock would be same color if it were rosewood neck)

Looks like klusons to me. Also, SC245’s had these pickups named 245’s at one point.

Mmm...you are correct. The SCs I had owned all had #7's, the SC245 with 245 pickups were built after the ones with #7's, IIRC...

The amp looks to read, "Overdrive Special." Dumble, perhaps?

Either a dumble or a clone. I know he has or had multiple over the years.

Last edited:

Does anyone here know?

001(4).PNG

The 245s have a two-piece bridge. So it's most likely a regular Singlecut. The lack of matching headstock veneer tells me it's an earlier model.

The amp is a Dumble Overdrive Special. The words "By Dumble" aren't showing up well in the pic, but they used a smaller font, and I believe the lettering under the "Overdrive Special" script is there, just not showing up well in the pic.

Back