What Else Are You Into? Let's Talk

Avid distainer of religion because of the geographic lottery & conflict, pretendy politics and talking heads except thee talking heads

Love reading, actual current events, history, cycling, weight lifting, music and getting through chores listening to pod casts, audio books and radio

I'm a family man, love german beer and my job, which is now balanced enough to be fun. I work away from home so have felt semiretired for years

Actually, and by my pretty clear understanding, I'm not sure that's strictly correct :)....... (see the text under rule 3: More "Off-Limits" Topics )

What have I misunderstood? I'm not raising any flags here, but I was surprised a little earlier in the thread, I have to say. Not unpleasantly, I should be clear, but still surprised nonetheless.

Last edited:
I love cars and 'enthusiast' driving. Just got a 2015 GTI with an APR Stage 1 tune, making over 300hp/330+torque. Too much fun.

20220825-071836.jpg

I'm on my second GTI. My first was a 2007 that I had tuned. Currently have a 2019 that feels just as fast as the 07 post-tune plus it has all the differential goodies so the front doesn't push as wide in corners.

The best part is I can take winding back roads to a gig like a maniac with all my stuff secured in the back.

I'm on my second GTI. My first was a 2007 that I had tuned. Currently have a 2019 that feels just as fast as the 07 post-tune plus it has all the differential goodies so the front doesn't push as wide in corners.

The best part is I can take winding back roads to a gig like a maniac with all my stuff secured in the back.
I had a 2007 with well over 400,000km on it that two cars ganged up on and smashed to bit while I was having dinner. I replaced it with a 2015 that I don’t allow to eat out.

There is a thread on the Fractal forum where one of the developers put some screenshots of presets on his Axe III and his FM9. It is interesting to look at those. Some had very little difference. A few had about 10% difference and there was one that was a big difference but if I remember correctly the presets were quite different between the two.

EDIT:
The post I was referring to is the one that moerker replied to you with.
Thanks,

I did read that particular linked post comparing the FX3 & FM9. What I did learn was that there was no verifiable ballpark figure (read: average or variance) that could clearly understood from taking, say 25 various presets from both Axe II & FM9, doing a side-by-side comparison, and providing an average or variance for the group.

That is because factory presets are a very small part of the bigger picture which includes user presets, which are even more widely variant in both type, nature, and structure.

You might compare it to how a focus group might sit 100 orangutans at typewriters trying to write an understandable book.

There are many more Fractal users in this world who create various presets based on factory presets, and many who build presets from the ground up. It would nearly impossible to understand the entire cumulative works of every Fractal user and document them, let alone try to understand a ballpark figure estimate of the side-by-side Axe III & FM9's capabilities.

If there were such a database, it would be vast and huge. That is why I stopped searching after what FAS has said is impossible to compile or understand. I just asked a question that the FAS moderators said they didn't know the answer to, and it would be futile to try to understand, because of the enormity of data that would be required.

getting airdrop pamphlets of the spirit in the sky a lot in here lately, boring
My comment about your post above was accurate. Guys talking about what books they read, what music they play, etc., doesn't violate the forum policies. Saying "I don't like religion because..." does. Just like if I were to tell one of them they shouldn't read that book or play that song because... Once you cross that line, you are actually discussing religion, which is not allowed. If it's not allowed, then saying "I'm not religious because" is also not allowed because it's discussing religion.

I'm not the police. I'm just saying. And, if you don't like readying what praise songs someone is playing, or what books they're reading, or what they are studying, then you know... move on past that post/thread. Those things don't break forum policy.

i mean obviously saying ‘i play christian songs weekly in a christian church’ is as religious a statement as ‘i don’t believe in christian doctrine’. neither offends me, but i don’t necessarily want to read about it and i don’t see how it’s all on the atheist to ‘scroll on by if you aren’t interested’. this isn’t the oral roberts forum.

i mean obviously saying ‘i play christian songs weekly in a christian church’ is as religious a statement as ‘i don’t believe in christian doctrine’.
Completely disagree. Sorry. Saying that ^(Edit: the line about playing songs weekly in church) or "I go to church every week" is not "discussing religion" any more than saying "there is a country radio station on my radio" makes me a country music artist.

There are many forums where discussing religion is not only not allowed, to the point it will get you suspended, that have long threads about songs played in church, etc., so clearly they don't feel that is "discussing religion" in an unacceptable fashion. Asking what books you read to study the bible might be getting close... but as long as nobody starts to discuss the studied topics, they still aren't discussing religion.

Another case in point: There is not one person here whom I've read talk about these things, for whom you or I can say they are this religion or that religion. Why? Because they aren't discussing their religion. If anyone discussed religion (if we were permitted to do so) I could pretty quickly start recognizing their affiliations. Or lack thereof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely disagree. Sorry. Saying that ^(Edit: the line about playing songs weekly in church) or "I go to church every week" is not "discussing religion" any more than saying "there is a country radio station on my radio" makes me a country music artist.

There are many forums where discussing religion is not only not allowed, to the point it will get you suspended, that have long threads about songs played in church, etc., so clearly they don't feel that is "discussing religion" in an unacceptable fashion. Asking what books you read to study the bible might be getting close... but as long as nobody starts to discuss the studied topics, they still aren't discussing religion.

Another case in point: There is not one person here whom I've read talk about these things, for whom you or I can say they are this religion or that religion. Why? Because they aren't discussing their religion. If anyone discussed religion (if we were permitted to do so) I could pretty quickly start recognizing their affiliations. Or lack thereof.
if every forum jumped off the tallahatchee bridge etc etc; if you are playing weekly in a church it’s reasonable to assume, with no further discussion, that you are into jesus. which is great, but it is expressing support, and promotion without discussion etc etc.

if every forum jumped off the tallahatchee bridge etc etc; if you are playing weekly in a church it’s reasonable to assume, with no further discussion, that you are into jesus. which is great, but it is expressing support, and promotion without discussion etc etc.
Sorry, but you're wrong here. The thing that is against the rules is discussing religion and politics. There are reasons that we all know. But if I'm a senator, and you ask me about my job and what I do at work, I can say give you a pretty good description of what my job involves without discussing what party I am even in. And, without discussing politics.

Promotion??? Come on. Discussing what songs we played in church is not promoting religion. If it is, I'm both Dream Theater and Julie Bowen's agents!

Sorry, but you're wrong here. The thing that is against the rules is discussing religion and politics. There are reasons that we all know. But if I'm a senator, and you ask me about my job and what I do at work, I can say give you a pretty good description of what my job involves without discussing what party I am even in. And, without discussing politics.

Promotion??? Come on. Discussing what songs we played in church is not promoting religion. If it is, I'm both Dream Theater and Julie Bowen's agents!
no need for analogies, if you are worshipping in church you’re a christian, wheteher you are catholic or lutheran really only matters to other christians. in any case, noone was saying declarations of faith were against the rules, just that they’re as tiring as other non-guitar beliefs.

i do think discussion of church activities is promotion, sorry for being wrong.

noone was saying declarations of faith were against the rules, just that they’re as tiring as other non-guitar beliefs.
So, no analogies. Nobody was making declarations of faith. They were discussing the songs they played in church. The focus was completely on the music/songs and gear used. If you play at bars are you making a declaration of alcoholism? Oh wait, that was another analogy. :p

Seriously, while is is completely wrong, you know there are lots of churches that have people playing in their bands, who are NOT Christians, don't you? If one of those happens to be here and in those discussions about what songs they play... what are they declaring? That they needed a gig?

Action vs thought is the difference between discussion. I ran Vs I am the fastest.

I do know a non believer that gigs at a church. A gig is a gig and it's a good gig at that. I know plenty of people that gig music styles that aren't their own. Where you play or what you play isn't necessarily promotion of anything more than you played.

I think it all skates a very fine line: I'm not into very specific discussion, for a raft of reasons that resemble a small continent in size.

But I don't care about affiliation - you could be a Christian, a Pagan or a Mormon AFAIC - just so long as you keep the minutiae of your beliefs in your back pocket here.

Stating you're into bible study is on the right side of the line, by my personal metric. But it's as on (and then over) that fine line as it gets, once you move from the general into any actual statements of any matters pertaining, whatsoever. Ditto worship music - it's not just music, but it is music. So the music part is fine, I believe. The why-ness of it less so, while on this chunk of (un)real estate, and posting at the pleasure of those that own it.

At that point, it becomes akin to discussing not that you enjoy dancing while naked, but rather why you like dancing naked in the firelight on Beltane :oops: You're basically pushing your luck, having flagged your specific context. And before anyone asks: no, I'm not into that either...

I got a temp ban on TGP, which I made into a perma-self-administered-ban by the simple expedient of not bothering to recognise my last warning. I got it because the mod in question couldn't tell the difference between a statement which he thought was about politics (which he knew was verboten), and one that was actually about economics and empirical data (which he didn't understand).

So yeah, fine lines.

Last edited:
Back