What Else Are You Into? Let's Talk

I was just talking to my wife about potentially growing our own peppers this week. I am wondering how they would do where I live. It gets really hot here in the summer and the sun is very strong. I am not sure if they like that.
Well, a lot of those peppers originated in some pretty hot areas. Mexico, the Caribbean, etc. I think you'd be ok. We get the best results growing in big pots. The ones I've planted in the ground never seem to do well.

Well, a lot of those peppers originated in some pretty hot areas. Mexico, the Caribbean, etc. I think you'd be ok. We get the best results growing in big pots. The ones I've planted in the ground never seem to do well.
I am in South Florida. The typical temperature here in the summer is around 92 to 95 degrees, in the shade. I was thinking about trying them in pots. I may be able to grow them on my screened in porch. They would get a lot of indirect light. I can move them out into the sun if they don't seem to like it there. I really don't have a lot to lose by trying it.

I am in South Florida. The typical temperature here in the summer is around 92 to 95 degrees, in the shade. I was thinking about trying them in pots. I may be able to grow them on my screened in porch. They would get a lot of indirect light. I can move them out into the sun if they don't seem to like it there. I really don't have a lot to lose by trying it.
That's true. Pepper plants are cheap. The Mrs waters them every other day, depending on rain. Ours are on the east side of our townhouse. Either on the deck, or a little patio patch we have. They get full morning sun, and afternoon sun until between 1 and 4, depending on where the pots are. I'm in the Chicago area, and we got some hot and humid weather. Nothing like every day in Florida, but still.

Now that I'm semi retired, my time is spent playing or fishing (fly and conventional). I have a cottage on a lake in PA, so the water is right there. I'm also about an hour from the Catskills. My career was working for Dick's Sporting Goods corporate as the fishing tackle buyer, then transitioning into inventory management. I've still got enough tackle to start my own store.....lol.

I've got a bumper crop of habaneros this year. The Mrs makes a yummy habanero BBQ sauce, along with habanero jelly. Looks like the Serranos will be pretty good, as will the Jalapenos.
My wife grows several kinds of peppers every year and makes KILLER pepper relish! And, she always gets one special plant from her plant lady, with some kind of wild hot pepper. A couple years ago, she had some kind of pepper that was so hot... she put 1 pepper in a BIG cast iron pot of chili and it was too spicy for her to eat! So I brought it to work and she warned me, "that pepper is cut in half and still in the chili. Don't eat it." Well, a co-worker and I were eating a bowl for lunch one day and he got half of that pepper floating in his bowl. I found the other one and put it in my bowl. He kept saying how good and how spicy the chili was, and that if it was any hotter it might be too hot for him. I took my bite that had the pepper in it and it was pretty hot... he waited for a minute, got brave and took a big spoonful with the other half of that pepper. 20 seconds later he undoes his collar, loosens his tie, and starts sweating. LOL He was convinced that after cooking, then being in the chili for 2 days, that pepper wouldn't have much heat left. It DID! I went in his office 20 minute later (he didn't finish his bowl of chili. LOL) and he had a fan blowing right on him. LOL A few minutes after that he went outside (February) to "cool off." :p

My wife grows several kinds of peppers every year and makes KILLER pepper relish! And, she always gets one special plant from her plant lady, with some kind of wild hot pepper. A couple years ago, she had some kind of pepper that was so hot... she put 1 pepper in a BIG cast iron pot of chili and it was too spicy for her to eat! So I brought it to work and she warned me, "that pepper is cut in half and still in the chili. Don't eat it." Well, a co-worker and I were eating a bowl for lunch one day and he got half of that pepper floating in his bowl. I found the other one and put it in my bowl. He kept saying how good and how spicy the chili was, and that if it was any hotter it might be too hot for him. I took my bite that had the pepper in it and it was pretty hot... he waited for a minute, got brave and took a big spoonful with the other half of that pepper. 20 seconds later he undoes his collar, loosens his tie, and starts sweating. LOL He was convinced that after cooking, then being in the chili for 2 days, that pepper wouldn't have much heat left. It DID! I went in his office 20 minute later (he didn't finish his bowl of chili. LOL) and he had a fan blowing right on him. LOL A few minutes after that he went outside (February) to "cool off." :p
Sounds like a Carolina Reaper or a Ghost Pepper.

Good god! You should just get some plastic ones and be done with it. Don't tell the Mrs, but I'd bet Paco could take better care of those! :p
I had a whole “style” planned for our backyard this year, but she went ahead and bought flowers I didn’t like… so I let ‘em die.

Black Thumb Wives Club
My wife has the same skill.
Does she spend hundreds of dollars every spring and swear this is the year she’s gonna garden?

Love that skit! My wife actually does an amazing job of arranging.. it’s just the growing part.

But hey, nobody is good at everything.

I find I actually have the hardest time with spices on Asian foods.

Like, I can’t order Thai food without it being spicy, because then it’s so bland I don’t wanna eat it. But no matter how I order it (spicy, easy spice, medium spicy) I either get no heat, or I’m drenched in sweat, freezing from AC and said sweat, and laying down on the floor with my eyes bleeding.

I had a whole “style” planned for our backyard this year, but she went ahead and bought flowers I didn’t like… so I let ‘em die.

Does she spend hundreds of dollars every spring and swear this is the year she’s gonna garden?

Love that skit! My wife actually does an amazing job of arranging.. it’s just the growing part.

But hey, nobody is good at everything.

Yep, Mrs AR is amazing at arranging things, but kills plants just looking at them!

Yeah, my wife used to make that habanero stuff in a pot on the stove. Only the first year. The smell hanging in the air in the house was enough to close your airway and start the eyes watering. It gets done on the side burner of the grill, on a day when there isn't much wind.

I think I've told this story before here. If so, sorry...

About 5 years ago, my wife was making pepper relish one night. She has a bunch of fresh picked peppers in the sink, washed them, and started chopping them up. She had done this many times before, but forgot to wear rubber gloves.

When I got home from work, she was sitting on the edge of the bathtub crying. She had both hands under the water and water on full cold. Her hands were blood red. They were burning so bad she couldn't take them out from under the cold water or it was hurting so bad she was crying.

It was really wild... her hands were just blood red. It took over an hour, and she finally was able to sit in the living room with ice packs on both hands and after a couple hours, they finally cooled down. She tried everything she could find... milk, vinegar, something else she read online would help. Nothing did... poor girl was hurting! And she has since laughed about it, but trust me, she'll NEVER make that mistake again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I've told this story before here. If so, sorry...

About 5 years ago, my wife was making pepper relish one night. She has a bunch of fresh picked peppers in the sink, washed them, and started chopping them up. She had done this many times before, but forgot to wear rubber gloves.

When I got home from work, she was sitting on the edge of the bathtub crying. She had both hands under the water and water on full cold. Her hands were blood red. They were burning so bad she couldn't take them out from under the cold water or it was hurting so bad she was crying.

It was really wild... her hands were just blood red. It took over an hour, and she finally was able to sit in the living room with ice packs on both hands and after a couple hours, they finally cooled down. She tried everything she could find... milk, vinegar, something else she read online would help. Nothing did... pour girl was hurting! And she has since laughed about it, but trust me, she'll NEVER make that mistake again.
Know I’ve told this before but, had a roommate cutting peppers, and then decided to pee without washing his hands first.

Back