What Else Are You Into? Let's Talk

We never had a court at home, but belonged to a racquet club, and had nice courts at the high school in town. But we played everywhere. We'd always take the racquets on vacation and play when at Lake Cumberland, or wherever we were.

I had a couple 6.0 club titles in my early 20s, placed in the Metro, won some other city tournaments (singled and doubles) but when I got married, I just quit playing. 3 sports was too many with a wife and soon a baby! LOL And basketball and softball weren't going to get cut, so it was tennis.

I'd love to try it again but it has literally been 30 years, so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be very good. My friends that are bugging me to get into pickleball are guys I used to play tennis with.
Sports are a great way to stay in shape, and a lot of fun.

"Les, what do you know? You're not in shape any more are ya?"

"Well, I walk two miles a day."

"I'd hardly call that 'staying in shape'. And when was the last time you had fun?"

"Well... Might've been a little while."

"What's a little while? Like, 40, 50 years?"

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that it may make me look like a doofus."

"Don't hold back. Everyone knows you're a doofus."

"1858."

We never had a court at home, but belonged to a racquet club, and had nice courts at the high school in town. But we played everywhere. We'd always take the racquets on vacation and play when at Lake Cumberland, or wherever we were.

I had a couple 6.0 club titles in my early 20s, placed in the Metro, won some other city tournaments (singled and doubles) but when I got married, I just quit playing. 3 sports was too many with a wife and soon a baby! LOL And basketball and softball weren't going to get cut, so it was tennis.

I'd love to try it again but it has literally been 30 years, so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be very good. My friends that are bugging me to get into pickleball are guys I used to play tennis with.
Racquet clubs are a necessity if you play and live in a cold climate! I belonged to one until I was about 50.

The best part of the whole thing was that they had a really great masseur, who worked on the Red Wings and Pistons. Trigger point massage. It was...OMG. Great. But that was then.

This is now...

Racquet clubs are a necessity if you play and live in a cold climate! I belonged to one until I was about 50.

The best part of the whole thing was that they had a really great masseur, who worked on the Red Wings and Pistons. Trigger point massage. It was...OMG. Great.
One of the guys I worked with belongs to the racquet club we belonged to back then. Up until a couple years ago, I used to go there with him several times a year... but it was to play basketball. I haven't picked up a tennis racquet in 30 years. I think I pulled something just thinking about it. (TWSS)

One of the guys I worked with belongs to the racquet club we belonged to back then. Up until a couple years ago, I used to go there with him several times a year... but it was to play basketball. I haven't picked up a tennis racquet in 30 years. I think I pulled something just thinking about it. (TWSS)
Even thinking about actually playing basketball again makes me want to call 911.

Motorcycles. I own a Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide and love riding it. My wife loves riding on the back.
Mini Motorcycles. I ran into and had to buy a Honda Monkey (Red) earlier this year. It is a blast to cruise around the neighborhood.

Fellow red Monkey owner! Along with other Eye-talian big bikes. Monkeys are just too FUN!!

3XGVsli.jpg

How did I forget racquetball? When I was in the USAF, we’d cut out of work early a couple times a week to go play. Such a fast, violent game! No way could I do that now.
Had a blast playing racquetball in college, but had to wait til after tennis season was over. Stroke and ball spacing are so much different (....) that I didn't mix them well. Need to adjust for that and stick with one of the other, at least if you're a serious player. Just the way I had to quit golf because it was messing with my softball.

Even thinking about actually playing basketball again makes me want to call 911.
I played one time last year. I stretched and warmed up for at least 10 minutes before playing and still had to take it easy the first few games. Once I ran up and down the court for a while, I was fine, but obviously got tired quickly because NOTHING keeps you in shape for basketball, except basketball. I played full court for an hour and a half. I was sore for 3 days! :D

How did I forget racquetball? When I was in the USAF, we’d cut out of work early a couple times a week to go play. Such a fast, violent game! No way could I do that now.
Ha! Violent is so true! The game was invented at my college, U of Mich.

I was hit in the eye by a racquetball hit by my own brother. Spent two days in the hospital with a hyphema (bleeding in the eye). Royal PITA. Sidelined me for a whole summer!

Fellow red Monkey owner! Along with other Eye-talian big bikes. Monkeys are just too FUN!!

3XGVsli.jpg
I have so much fun on the Monkey. I am in South Florida. There is a community not too far from me that has dirt roads in it and some loose sand on some of them closer to the drainage channel. I love going over there and riding it. When I ride it through the neighborhood or the one next to mine people stare and wave. When I stop it draws a crowd. Everyone loves that little bike.

That describes me perfectly. But one of us lives in Ohio, and the other lives where there is beautiful water ALL around you. One of many reasons that you are my idol.

Seriously, you need a kayak. If I lived where you did, I'd spend as much (maybe more) time kayaking as biking. Up there, I couldn't get enough of either. One vehicle can haul your bike and a kayak and you can go on ALL kinds of adventures. That guy on Facing Waves has me wanting to move to Canada even more than catching an almost 60" muskie did! Well, if I was there I'd try to catch another one, of course. Heck, get you a pedal driving kayak and get some of your peddling in on the water!
I do have a rodeo kayak, and might get a more stable one for the lakes. I also have a cedar strip canoe.

And one of my friends does have a pedal drive on one of his kayaks.

Back