What drove you away from brand X?

Simple- PRS had what I wanted in a guitar, and the other brand(s) didn't.

PRS's play great, sound great, look great, are built to an incredible standard, AND EVERYTHING ALWAYS WORKS THE WAY IT SHOULD!

I still love my G's and F's despite their occasional flaws, but of my 11 guitars, 5 are PRS.

It wasn't so much of a moving away from any particular brand, it was more just moving toward PRS.

This. They're just freakin' great guitars, especially since they dialed their pickups in with the 57/08s and later models. PRS just does a better job of tempting me to buy new guitars than other companies do.

I like my PRS but I will never be a one brand guy.

Me too! PRS gets my vote when it comes to quality, sound, everything. However, I love F guitars as well, although they don't give me as much quality as PRSs. There's just something more classic about their sound and feel.

To answer the original question though, I didn't want to get any duds right from the start of my guitar-ing life, so I went with PRS, after reading through forums praising their near flawless quality.

I had a few guitars prior but the first one I really bonded with was a F** Jazzmaster (Japanese). After working on it a while I figured out I could build a better and more custom F** than F** could. I no longer have time for working on partscasters - when it comes down to free time I would prefer to play them rather than work on them. Also, it was such a crapshoot, you'd never know how a guitar was going to play or sound until the thing was assembled. With PRS, you buy a guitar and it's pretty much great, every time. So, I only have one parts guitar left, the one made from the best parts out there and really holds its own, but still sees so little play time compared to my PRSi.

I've never really been "driven away" from any particular brand... I've tried many times to love a Fender, but I just don't care for guitars that are more "assembled" than "built"... I like the hand crafted feel of a Gibson/PRS style guitar, and as of late I have developed a strong preference for American made instruments. I used to own two Parker Flys (Flies? LOL) but sold them because they were just TOO lightweight and comfortable to play, and now that they have sold the company to the parent company of Washburn, I have no interest in their current offerings. I much prefer PRS over any other brand, with Gibson a close second but only in regards to a Les Paul or maybe a flying V at some point down the road. Not a big fan of the SG, Firebird, or any of the many semi-hollow Gibson offerings... but I like just about everything PRS puts out, barring my distaste for the blade switch on the carved top models. As long as you can still get a PRS without a blade switch, I'll be a fan for life. :)

I will definitely buy a PRS if i want a twin humbucker guitar in the future.A custom 22 or a DGT.I have nothing against Brand x,really cool guitars but price is way to high for what you get today.Was a long time ago i tried a magical brand x in a store.

If I'm paying big money for a guitar, it needs to look flawless. PRS guitars are the best for this. I know sound is important but if there are tiny blemishes, I will not stop thinking about them.

I can live with issues on cheaper guitars, but I'm not willing to bend on expensive models, there's no excuse for sloppy work when you're paying in excess of £2k IMO.

Back