What do you use?

Sekunda

Music is life
I'm looking to buy either a floor multi-effect or go back to a rack unit with midi pedal to use with my HXDA. What are you guys using for this purpose? I'm looking for high-end quality sounds. I need to have access to several presets as well, will be covering several different bands and dozens of sounds.

Possibilities so far:
TC G-Major with RJM GT10 or GT16
TC G-System

Or stay with my boutique pedals and do the dance… after adding more pedals of course ;)

I had an RJM GT10 before with a G-Major and loved it, only problem is I have no loop on my HXDA. Not sure how it will sound running inline.

Just looking for more options for easy patch switching.

Thanks guys!

I've had the same dilemma for years, with lots of amps!

I love the tone of boutique pedals and for digital, the Eventide Factor series pedals. I've had the TC Nova System and liked it a lot, too, though I preferred the Eventide's sound quality (a little more organic). I've run both kinds of systems in front of my HXDA, no problems, though obviously the higher the gain setting on the amp, the less good things like delays can sound in front of the amp, though I don't consider this much of an issue in my studio.

There's something neat and simple about a system like the G-system, Nova, or even the other multi effects boxes. It's great not to have to diddle around with a bunch of little boxes, pedalboards, etc.

On the other hand, IMHO the very best tone comes from hand-picking each effect for its sound quality.

Using the G-System myself, with some dirt pedals in the loops for it. Plus a Boss RC-50 looper (the first one to have the three loops). Haven't done much programming on the G-System, but that's on the menu - I just started reconfiguring some of that stuff this past week.

Alan, I love the look and features of the G-System.

But the sound of the Eventide gear suits my playing style better. I suppose I could get an Eclipse and use it with a MIDI controller in a rack, and put my pedals in the rack with a switching device.

Sigh...this all gets so complicated.

I like the Eventide stuff I've seen, I've just never made the jump to try it. I tend not to use delay a lot (one of my many faults) - I see demos and I'm blown away, and when *I* try to do it, it just doesn't pan out for me.

Truth be told, laziness has convinced me thus far to just accept the presets on this thing and turn individual effects on and off. I'm working to overcome that.

I like the Eventide stuff I've seen, I've just never made the jump to try it. .

I understand completely, and it's not like the TC stuff isn't good -- it's very, very good.

What I like best from Eventide is their modulation effects; however, I think their reverbs and delays are also first class, and a little less "zingy" sounding than the TC or Strymon delays. However, you can dial in the TC or Strymon delays to roll off a little of the high end "zing" and make the distinction between the brands less of an issue. Vice-versa also applies for the delays and reverbs.

However, the Eventide modulations are, for me, unmatched. So it's hard for me to live with a different digital multi effects unit.

I would love it if Eventide would make a more powerful version of the H9 that could serve as a standalone pedalboard. If they put something as simple as an analog distortion box in it a la the TC Nova System, and also build in an expression pedal, I would be in heaven.

I'm sure it'd also cost a ton, but it would be perfect for me.

What I love about the TC Nova and G System:

1. Built in analog distortion and overdrive on Nova.

2. Ability to power external pedals on G System, and loops for those pedals.

3. Bulletproof "pedalboard" with real AC plug.

4. Multiple effects at once.

5. Easy to navigate the controls and set the device up.

What I'm less excited about with TC Nova and G System:

Brightness of reverbs and delays, modulation is less organic.

What I love about the Eventide Factor and H9 pedals:

1. Deeply controllable from the top of the deck or from iPhone/iPad device, plus computer interfacing.

2. First rate, analog sounding, effects.

3. Bulletproof.

What I'm less excited about with Eventide's effects:

Navigating down in banks is fiddly without external switch; no "pedalboard" type multi-effects option.

Last edited:
I would rock a Voodoo Lab switcher and run pedals in a rack. The James made Oz Noy is a prime example.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a TC Nova System. I've had it for years and I am very happy with it.
I use it in front of a one channel amp, set pretty clean and use the Nova for all the rest.
For heavier jams, I set my amp at a Malcom Young break up and use the NS from there. I also have a Keeley DS-1 at the front of the NS if I want even more gain, but really it is too much in a band situation (but who does not like excesive gain from time to time... ;) ).
At one point I was using the NS to run two different amps in stereo. I used a slightly offset delay time for each channel, creating a full and nice stereo effect. The amps also were a lot different sounding (the one is 2xEL84s into 2x12" and the other 2x5881s into 2x10"). Very nice when you are the only guitar player in a band.
Now, if I wanted to use a multi channel amp, the G System would be a better solution.

22012011226.jpg

Last edited:
I've used a G-System live and it's a fantastic unit, used it to switch my Mark V via MIDI (not quite possible with the HXDA...), power and kick external stomp boxes in and out on patch changes, set up switches so effects are only on when the button is pressed (found this easier for delay since I hardly use it) etc etc.

If you get one, make sure you get the latest version with the input section from the iB modified one, just because it's betterer... You can tell by the serial number, TC have a reference on their site.

The G-System is a wonderful thing, but...

I'm selling it, or should I say, I'm selling out. I've gone digital. I went and bought a Kemper Profiling Amp, it arrived the day before I left for work (3 weeks away) and only got minimal time with it. I did profile my HXDA very quick and dirty but from what I heard, I was impressed. It was, to my ears, at least 90% of the way there. I quickly setup 3 different patches with 3 different gains and levels for clean/dirty/solo, it was like having a 3 channel HXDA. Spending a lot more time getting the profiles better (Ribbon mic/SM57 plus I'm buying an isoacoustics thingy) will improve things even more and get to 95%, which to be honest is good enough for stage work for me. Who can tell the difference after it goes through the FOH anyway? I'll even do profiles with various stomp boxes switched in to further refine my stage tones.

The Kemper also has a bunch of top quality fx built in, so I just don't need the G-System and the added complexity any more. All I'm bringing to a gig now is axe/s, rack with Kemper and G90, MIDI foot pedal and a FRFR powered speaker. Plug guitar into wireless, plug 2 x MIDI from foot switch to Kemper, Kemper to FRFR and stage box, power to all and I'm good to go. No 40kg plus guitar amp (mine is a 2x12 and would have to road case it since it's pretty paisley), no micing up, no stomp boxes, no "getting my sounds right", just plug in and go.

Hopefully.

Back