What do you use you old SE Amber knobs for?

Let me start by saying how much I adore the big pile of SE’s I own. A few of them I even find just as much enjoyment with as any other guitars I’ve ever owned, but..

Those are the worst lookin Amber knobs I’ve ever come across!

I immediately purchase lampshades or dig through my parts stash to find some old Amber speedknobs whenever I get an SE with those bright orange glow-y mfkers on ‘em.

Dunno how or why I’ve never seen em on any other brand (not that I look too much) are they exclusive? Anyhow, I have a few sets sitting unused and am trying to come up with a way to up-cycle and repurpose them into something useful. Here’s what I’ve got so far:

Tip replacements for toy guns.

Put them in your eye sockets for a last minute “Dark Brandon” costume.

Place them in your yard to mark buried utility lines.

Bicycle reflector replacements

Put a string through them and wear it as a clown nose

Wrap them in cellophane and hand them out as Halloween candy

Put them in cheese ball container to stage your kitchen when selling your house

Use them as a portable color palette/eye protection for the tanning salon (when you’re as orange as the knobs, you’re done!)

What else have you got?
I just put them in a box with all the rest of the parts I took off of my SE to go along with it if I ever sell it or trade it in. (Fat chance)
But if I wasn’t going to do that:

Put them under the sheet at the foot of the wife’s side of the bed.
Use them as targets on a fence post for pellet gun practice.
Swap them onto a bandmate’s guitar when he’s not looking during a break.
Mail them back to the factory with a note that just says, “REALLY?”.
Roll them down the road from the top of the hill I live on to see how far they get.
Throw them out into the crowd like they were picks.
Take them with me the next time I visit the factory and ask if anyone would like to defend them.

I don’t get the dislike, but to each his own. I just mailed a package of parts and pieces I will never use from guitars I have modded to a fellow who donates his time and guitars to kids who can’t afford guitars, but want to learn. If any of you are interested, I can give you a name and address. He would love your less than desirable knobs, screws, washers, tuners, wiring harnesses, springs etc.

Edit: Only thing I ask, is please do not send him wing tuners. Those were designed by someone to terrorize the guitar community, and by someone who actually eats beets.

Last edited:
I just put them in a box with all the rest of the parts I took off of my SE to go along with it if I ever sell it or trade it in. (Fat chance)
But if I wasn’t going to do that:

Put them under the sheet at the foot of the wife’s side of the bed.
Use them as targets on a fence post for pellet gun practice.
Swap them onto a bandmate’s guitar when he’s not looking during a break.
Mail them back to the factory with a note that just says, “REALLY?”.
Roll them down the road from the top of the hill I live on to see how far they get.
Throw them out into the crowd like they were picks.
Take them with me the next time I visit the factory and ask if anyone would like to defend them.

Back