What do you think of this top?

So then, this is a precursor to the PS Santana "Retro" model, or is it one of those?

I did receive this guitar about two weeks ago. I'm really glad I followed my instincts on this one. Something I didn't realize before is that the retro models have thicker backs that usual Santana models and a less pronounced belly carve. This one winds up being a more perfect Golden Eagle for me as I prefer the carve of the Santana and dislike the binding and ebony HS veneer on the Leese models. The sounds is glorious, really fat and sparkling with a touch of honk in the midrange and some upper mid bark like a certain style of guitars designed in the 50s. Some of the other guitars are getting a little jealous and nervous :). I didn't realize until I saw this one in person that the top is probably quilted maple not flame maple, at least it is definitely flat sawn. I'll try to get some of my own pics up this weekend.

Happy Fourth to all
Late congrats for this beauty and thanks for the tone quick review!
Any chances to see some pictures and have a visual comparison between retro and Santana core version if possible?:rolleyes:
I am quite interested to see the body thickness and carve differences between core / Santana retro since there are not so many available posts showing Santana retro.
Thanks in advance!
PS: You can also upload the images to your other thread-Santana pic of the day ;)

Late congrats for this beauty and thanks for the tone quick review!
Any chances to see some pictures and have a visual comparison between retro and Santana core version if possible?:rolleyes:
I am quite interested to see the body thickness and carve differences between core / Santana retro since there are not so many available posts showing Santana retro.
Thanks in advance!
PS: You can also upload the images to your other thread-Santana pic of the day ;)

Hi Emmanuel, I ll post some more pics soon. On Page 5 of the other thread I have some photos that show off the "retro" carve vs the core carve.

Hi Emmanuel, I ll post some more pics soon. On Page 5 of the other thread I have some photos that show off the "retro" carve vs the core carve.
Yep, I have seen the carve comparison already.
It would be interested to see the body thickness differences as well.
Thanks for showing that to us in advance.

Back