What do you think of this top?

I'm pretty sure that since it was made in the USA, US Customs would be happy to let it come back.

When I did a mock checkout the first message I got was " The seller does not ship the item to the USA" but have since received word that they would. I wasn't sure if it was maybe a PRS policy for dealers in Japan.

You have had so many approval responses you probably won't mind one dissenting vote. I agree that it is unique and interesting. For my eye, it just leaves me kind of nervous for lack of a better term. It's kind of hard to put my finger on. I have one similar in my Avatar that I love. Wide flame and a similar color, but the inexplicable abruptness of the flame leaves me edgy. That may be precisely what you like about it.

You have had so many approval responses you probably won't mind one dissenting vote. I agree that it is unique and interesting. For my eye, it just leaves me kind of nervous for lack of a better term. It's kind of hard to put my finger on. I have one similar in my Avatar that I love. Wide flame and a similar color, but the inexplicable abruptness of the flame leaves me edgy. That may be precisely what you like about it.

I agree that this one wouldn't be for everyone, when I first saw it, I didn't think I liked it, but the more I have "stalked it" the more it has grown on me. For lack of a better term it has a kind of "vintage" look and appeal to me. I admit that if someone else had posted it at some other time I likely would have advised them to keep looking.

For lack of a better term it has a kind of "vintage" look and appeal to me.

Exactly this, it has the look of an exceptional vintage guitar.

The figure is smoky, sinuous, and beautifully curls across the top. Second, the stain is spot-on perfect for it.

It's a combination of really great aesthetics, and I absolutely love it.

It's pretty, but be careful of the yellow finish. I have one, and I have seen a few. They are yellow if you photo them just right, but in most lighting and at most angles they may look untinted. Great if you like it, but I wish mine looked more yellow on average.

It's pretty, but be careful of the yellow finish. I have one, and I have seen a few. They are yellow if you photo them just right, but in most lighting and at most angles they may look untinted. Great if you like it, but I wish mine looked more yellow on average.

Hi Elvis, can you elaborate? do you mean the guitar itself doesn't look yellow and is more orange instead, or do you mean there is not a lot of contrast in the flames, or?

Exactly this, it has the look of an exceptional vintage guitar.

The figure is smoky, sinuous, and beautifully curls across the top. Second, the stain is spot-on perfect for it.

It's a combination of really great aesthetics, and I absolutely love it.

That's not helping Les, in fact almost none of you are helping! :)

In my pics you see wood grain parallel to the neck and a kind of tan-orange color that in person looks like mildly aged maple. At the right angle and in strong light, it looks VERY yellow with flames PERPENDICULAR to the neck (not very figured, but flames for sure). The problem is that 90% of the time it looks like what you see in my post above. I like it well-enough, and it's a really fantastic playing and sounding guitar (with BKP Cold Sweats) so I'm not unhappy, but I do recommend if you love that color, verify that it will actually be that color when you look at it in real life. A straight-on photo without flash in normal indoor light would tell a lot I think.

In looking at that guitar, it does seem to have significant figuring in the wood that I would bet will likely show regardless of the lighting and angle.

According to PRS Customer Service, mine is Santana Yellow.

In optimal lighting:

Last edited:
In my pics you see wood grain parallel to the neck and a kind of tan-orange color that in person looks like mildly aged maple. At the right angle and in strong light, it looks VERY yellow with flames PERPENDICULAR to the neck (not very figured, but flames for sure). The problem is that 90% of the time it looks like what you see here. I like it well-enough, and it's a really fantastic playing and sounding guitar (with BKP Cold Sweats) so I'm not unhappy, but I do recommend if you love that color, verify that it will actually be that color when you look at it in real life. A straight-on photo without flash in normal indoor light would tell a lot I think.

In looking at that guitar, it does seem to have significant figuring in the wood that I would bet will likely show regardless of the lighting and angle.

According to PRS Customer Service, mine is Santana Yellow.

In optimal lighting:

The Santana/vintage yellow colors (the same?) to my understanding do not utilize a double staining process, so the contrast seen on most of the popular PRS stains cannot be expected. I agree that that is a general feature of this color and have noted that on many examples myself

I don't know anything about how these things are tinted, but I get the sense that the yellow is a light tint in the clear coat, not the wood itself. So you have to catch the light off the clear in order to see the color.

Anyhoo, as long as you know what you are getting into. I do think that guitar you posted looks really unique and attractive.

Personally, I think the important thing is the 3 dimensional quality of the grain showing. What ever the color is, I`d buy it. It`s absafrigginlutely the bomb!

Back