What do you think is the best song ever..

I have been told by those that know that James had terrible vocal technique and this has been a contributory factor to the current state of affairs.
Not meant to sound the way it might…. Whoever “those that know” are, you might want to do some research and find out the real truth. It was “hidden” for a good while, but has been out there for years now, and is not hard to find. I’ve seen them live very tour and his voice was SHOT every time I heard them in the early years. If you like Dream Theater, you might want to find out the truth about why his voice was shot a few months in to most tours. It has nothing to do with poor technique.

Not meant to sound the way it might…. Whoever “those that know” are, you might want to do some research and find out the real truth. It was “hidden” for a good while, but has been out there for years now, and is not hard to find. I’ve seen them live very tour and his voice was SHOT every time I heard them in the early years. If you like Dream Theater, you might want to find out the truth about why his voice was shot a few months in to most tours. It has nothing to do with poor technique.
I know about the Food Poisoning incident and the ruptured vocal cords and the fact that DT's brutal touring schedule have lead to issue of overuse, (99% of fans do at this point in time.) Maybe not so much an issue about poor technique per-say but one of misuse / overuse. Even in the early days singing with that rasp in those high registers is destructive. Even before the food poisoning incident he was using his voice in a damaging manner.

I have been a DT fan since the days of the YtseJam yahoo mailing list and I have saw them live on many occasions up to Octavarium and I too have not seen James really nail a gig, but I could say that of JP too. Spock's Beard supported them here in the UK for the Met II tour and Spock's were literally flawless, inhumanly so. DT were a bit rough in comparison but it was Met II first time seeing Jordan live etc etc.. still my favourite DT gig at the absolute peak of my fanboyism.

Could I do even 5% of what James does, even at his low points, no way. I am in no way bashing him at all, I admire his tenacity. No way can any any instrumentalist, let alone a vocalist be at 100% all of the time, especially if like James you are operating at physical extremes. All voices change with age and he has had to adapt to make the best use of what he has. Kudos.

And the winner is....."Good Vibrations" by The Beach Boys. Written and produced by Brian Wilson. Singing by The Beach Boys. Music played by The Wrecking Crew.

I really love You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To. It's my number one.

Best rock song, though - Born to Run

Honorable mention - anything by Michael Franks is absolute genius. Jimmy Webb, as well.

I’d have to go with Blind Faith’s “Can’t Find My Way Home”. Steve Winwood, Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Ric Grech, that right there says it all. It’s one of those songs that can take your mind on a journey no matter what’s going on around you. A true classic that even today still sounds as fresh and as new as it did when it was originally released.

I’d have to go with Blind Faith’s “Can’t Find My Way Home”. Steve Winwood, Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Ric Grech, that right there says it all. It’s one of those songs that can take your mind on a journey no matter what’s going on around you. A true classic that even today still sounds as fresh and as new as it did when it was originally released.
Excellent choice/candidate!

There is no best song ever. There isn't even a best song ever, for me. Depends on my mood when you ask the question.

Moonlight sonata or Europa. Both are masterpieces.

Back