What do you think is the best song ever..

I think I can finally admit this is the best song ever, and my favorite song ever. If it hasn't already been mentioned.

I could never pick just one song. There have been many songs that have touched me through my life. They span several genres. Some have been due to a guitar part, a groove or beat. Others have been because of the lyrics hitting me when they were very relevant to my life at the time. There have been others that I really loved due to the story the lyrics told and how they took me to a place where I could visualize what was being conveyed.

I’m a big DT fan, but…………..James LeBrie. :confused: He’s ok, but he is the weak link. Everybody else is the top of the game. I’d love to hear this band with Dino J behind the mic.
I have been a DT fan since IAW. I have been told by those that know that James had terrible vocal technique and this has been a contributory factor to the current state of affairs. I thought Jeff Scott Sato's rendition of Just Let me Breath from the Sons of Apollo live DVD was cool and he certainly have a stage presence and gave a memorable performance. But for my money they have not been at the same level since Mike left.

….But for my money they have not been at the same level since Mike left.

I don’t disagree, but I’m not sure it’s because Portnoy left. He’s one of my favorite drummers, but Mike x 2 is a badass as well. I just don’t think the songs have been as interesting (and maybe that is because Portnoy’s gone. Dunno).

I don’t disagree, but I’m not sure it’s because Portnoy left. He’s one of my favorite drummers, but Mike x 2 is a badass as well. I just don’t think the songs have been as interesting (and maybe that is because Portnoy’s gone. Dunno).
I first came across Mangini when I saw Extreme in Manchester UK during the waiting for the Punchline tour. when he stepped in when Gary left I wondered what was going on with his kit and then he blew me away! (That was one hell of a gig I remember it like it was yesterday, the whole band killed and maybe is the best live sound I have ever heard from a 3 piece!) I just think MP has a grove that MM can not replicate, a bit of a Ringo star thing (although Mike could do with switching up his fills a bit more.) In terms of actual song writing MP had it going on so did Kevin. JP not so much. (Awake is my favourite DT album.)

I always though of DT as being Portnoy's band, he did the bulk of everything and it was him who really steered them

I equate DT to Crimson or Yes. I have my favourite line ups. Not so much a fan of the newer DT stuff, if I want a widdle fest LTE hits it for me.

Looks like I have some homework to do! I am not aware of any of these musicians.

No such Song exists for me - there can NEVER be a Best Song ever. There are so many 'great' songs that are perfect for a specific mood or situation and as such may well be your 'favourite' song for that moment, but another song is 'better' for another moment. I can't even pick a Favourite song from my favourite artists, let alone pick a favourite song of all time...

Usually for me, the best song ever is the last one I completed ("Time Ain't Got No Grave" written Dec 3, 2021)! But if I had to choose from other earthlings musical productions, I would have to go with "Apostrophe" by Frank Zappa (it is so good, they named an album after it)!! Without any lyrics to clutter the message, it is simply an onslaught of guitar from beginning to end!!! As Ziggy Stardust would say "To be played at maximum volume!"!!!!

But, that's like, just, my opinion, man!
Don't think I could possibly name my favourite Zappa tune let alone a favourite Zappa album.

Looks like I have some homework to do! I am not aware of any of these musicians.
I don't think I've ever heard a Dream Theater song. I've heard of them but I'm not really into prog-rock. To me the best song ever is something that everyone has heard and everyone likes. Of course it is debatable but that's where the fun comes in.

I'll probably get grief for saying it, but "Creep" by Radiohead has always been that one song for me.

It’s gotta be Back in Black! Nothing but. Fully committed on this.

Every time I hear this song and I heard I am sure thousands of times over my life span so far it’s just magical! It has the power to make me so excited and happy no matter what’s currently happening in my life! It makes me just get on my feet and dance. Pure bliss.

Reactions: jxe
It’s gotta be Back in Black! Nothing but. Fully committed on this.

Every time I hear this song and I heard I am sure thousands of times over my life span so far it’s just magical! It has the power to make me so excited and happy no matter what’s currently happening in my life! It makes me just get on my feet and dance. Pure bliss.
what about creep by radiohead though? got to give it up for that.

My mom had this song in her collection of singles. Still sounds as amazing as it did when I was a kid playing on that old record player.

Back