What do you take to make your PRS sing!?

Maxime Bousquet

--broken but under repair--
I've been using an AX FX3 for a year now and since I haven't been on stage in a while I like the ability to have good sound at low volumes without alerting my neighbors and on top of being a kid in a candy store!
I feel like I've stopped my quest for sound, yet I'm curious and I like to find out what works for other enthusiasts!

I've been using an AX FX3 for a year now and since I haven't been on stage in a while I like the ability to have good sound at low volumes without alerting my neighbors and on top of being a kid in a candy store!
I feel like I've stopped my quest for sound, yet I'm curious and I like to find out what works for other enthusiasts!
Seems like you've found what works for you and that's a great thing!

Tube amps work for me. PRS HXDA and DG30; Mesa Lone Star 100 and Fillmore 50. For very quiet playing, the Lone Star switches down to ten watts, the Fillmore to 25. But I also have a Cab Clone for times when I want to use my tube amps for quiet recording that sounds fine with an IR.

These are merely personal choices, and not a prescription for anyone else.

Last edited:
The Tie Dye Tower :D

VHT D-50 head, 2 1x12 cabs. I have gone digital for effects, though - Line 6 HX Effects.

ministack.jpg

I'm using a Pod Go for my only "gig" which is at church. It goes directly to the PA and we use in ear monitors. I've learned to get some pretty good sounds from the Pod for what we do.

Besides, my days of playing through an amp (even at a medium volume) is a thing of the past. I have tinnitus and while it's not too bad it really kicks into high gear when I get around anything loud. Drums, cymbals, loud amps.....no more.

I do have a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue that needs some work. I've been putting off taking it in but I really miss playing through it even at a somewhat low volume. Think I'll take it in next week! I'd love to hear my Vela through it!

Seems like you've found what works for you and that's a great thing!

Tube amps work for me. PRS HXDA and DG30; Mesa Lone Star 100 and Fillmore 50. For very quiet playing, the Lone Star switches down to ten watts, the Fillmore to 25. But I also have a Cab Clone for times when I want to use my tube amps for quiet recording that sounds fine with an IR.

These are merely personal choices, and not a prescription for anyone else.
Ha Les .....The Lone Star, the best amp I've had, and the worst blunder for having sold it, I promise myself to have another one! Only after two PRS buy a few months apart, McCarthy, custom 24 and the AX FX3 ouch .. !! , my wife is now asking that I build her Chalet! PRS is good for women too!

I'm using a Pod Go for my only "gig" which is at church. It goes directly to the PA and we use in ear monitors. I've learned to get some pretty good sounds from the Pod for what we do.

Besides, my days of playing through an amp (even at a medium volume) is a thing of the past. I have tinnitus and while it's not too bad it really kicks into high gear when I get around anything loud. Drums, cymbals, loud amps.....no more.

I do have a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue that needs some work. I've been putting off taking it in but I really miss playing through it even at a somewhat low volume. Think I'll take it in next week! I'd love to hear my Vela through it!
Damn tinnitus, with all the bombardment my ears have been through, I'm lucky to have been spared it, my drummer just like you weren't so lucky.

The Fender deluxe reverb, so good, great sound, restore and enjoy it!

Damn tinnitus, with all the bombardment my ears have been through, I'm lucky to have been spared it, my drummer just like you weren't so lucky.

The Fender deluxe reverb, so good, great sound, restore and enjoy it!
I did take precautions with my hearing when I was younger. I played bass in bands pretty much full time from 1972 through 1982. Around 1977 is when I started plugging my ears all the time. Worked in noisy CNC machine shops from 1986 through 2013 and always wore ear plugs. The ringing really didn't start until just a few years ago but it was very mild and most days I barley noticed it. For some reason it ramped up a bit within the last few months and it's more noticeable but not to the point of impairing my hearing or with driving me crazy. So I'm glad I took precautions when I did. I've know some players and many folks from CNC shops who are hearing impaired who never plugged their ears. Not all, but some.

Roland Blues Cube or a Laney Lionheart L5t. Just started playing with a new group of guys and both amps work well. But I played an Orange TH30 at a rental rehearsal space last night, using my Gretsch this week, and wow, that thing is amazing.

Back