What do you do...............

Ya, I can wait. I got my first one in 1988 and it was an awesome day I still remember. The others were special too but I was awe struck by that one. So I'll wait for the right one at the right time......

Wise choice. There will always be more guitars. Maybe different but there will always be more.

It's one thing to walk into a store and immediately bond with one like no other in the past, but online shopping, nah. There will be more.

I am one of those that hates debt too. I don't buy unless I have the cash.

I can certainly afford a new prs if I wanted but that's not how we do it at my house. Wife and I have a plan and I would be upset if she financed a large purchase that we really don't need.

My wife is an excellent saver so we always have available cash. Neither one of us have been effected by covid YET but it could happen.

We don't carry much debt but we bought another property that has been used as a repair/welding shop for the last 40 years. I have leased half of it to the company I work for so I have a shop for building projects for my customers. I love it, we wouldn't be able to do that if we didn't save.

Do what ya gotta do but be careful.

Good luck.

Debt has become the enemy in my home, and living debt free has been a wonderful experience over the last several years.

Agreed. I have been 100% debt-free for almost 6 years but the more I save, the harder it is for me to buy another guitar. Funny how that works.

• Clearly define what I want & what I don't.
  • Create searches on eBay and Reverb.
  • Wait.
  • Pounce.
Works for me.

It shocks me how many people can't articulate the first one (and not just about guitars). How can you set goals and define strategies without knowing what you want - or don't?

I have a page divider in my planner (yes, I still use a Franklin) that lists what I want out of life. I can see it next to my daily task list. If there is something on my task list that isn't related to my long term goals in some way, I don't do it.

Last edited:
There is no way I'll put myself in dept for something If I can help It. ( Scares the life out of me)
I work save and then spend.) My last acquisition took 3 yrs to save. I knew what I wanted and went for It.
would I do It again!!! ( Hell Yeah ). Keep saving It'll happen and you won't regret It. In fact It will make It all the sweeter.!!!

Put my saved money in a secured account with no card, so I won't be withdrawing the money whenever I see an ATM or use it elsewhere until I get to earn enough to buy me a PRS!

1. Cancel cable and all your streaming subscriptions.
2. Spend time you would have watched them practicing.
3. When the savings from step 1 are enough, buy the object of your desire and feel like your chops are enough to deserve it!
If having sufficient chops were a prerequisite to getting new gear I’d be forced to give up guitar and take up finger painting.

tenor.gif

I have taken advantage of 0% interest scenarios a few times, but if you're in any doubt about income stability, that's a hard no.

When I get to jonesing for a certain guitar I'm like an addict. Looking around for stuff to sell. Thinking about what guitars I won't want anymore once I have the shiny new thing. Look for ways to save a few bucks here and there.

Then the hard part for me: Unless it's something VERY specific, remember there will always be something equally awesome later, so be patient.

Isn't there some kind of coping strategy where you talk bad about what you wanted before so you can rationalize not having it?
Those DGT guitars are OK, but (insert rationalization here)! At least they aren't like the Paul's guitars. Those guitars suck because (rationalization #2).
Probably not helpful. Sorry.

hmm,,,, what about selling some stock while it's high right now, I'm old enough not to have a penalty......... ah, I can't decide. The perfect DGT, in my eyes, sold so right now I'm on hold anyway.
The hunt never ends

Back