What do y'all do for a living?

S7yZdZb.jpg

Matador

To those who are and were in the military, Thank You for service.

Back in my previous home country, I was a licensed civil engineer. In my lifetime, I was part of the design and construction of inter provincial roads, built dams, buildings, office interiors, high end houses, etc. Despite of, I still couldn't afford a PRSi. It was a third world country.

Now that I ended up in America, I became a science and math middle school teacher. I was only able to afford a used S2 but probably overspent on modifying it to my liking... because there's no way I could afford a core. I am liking it a lot that I don't seek for another PRSi. I am very content with its current configuration.

The teacher job... I am honestly a bit stressed. The kids' behaviors are off the charts and I feel like parents of the difficult ones either dump their kids with us treating schools like a parent timeout place to give them a break, or are in denial and taking their kids' sides claiming the system failed them. I find it funny when admin asks us, "what are we doing about it?", when they're the ones who should do the parenting. I thought our job is to teach and be a positive influence. Don't get me wrong, I am not by any means a terror teacher as kids loves me. They describe me as funny and cool. However, it is taking a toll on my health and family because of taking home work to grade and lesson plan on a daily basis to make an always changing boring curriculum directive more engaging to kids who don't want to learn spending school time distracted by fake fidgets. I get not more than 6 hrs of sleep everyday. It's a good thing that we get summers off coz I would probably be in a psych ward. My work friend actually had a mental breakdown and refused to go to work one morning. Is the pay good? Well... my newly college grad son had an offer higher than what I currently earn after years of teaching. He even bought himself my dream speed car that I always wanted as his daily work commute while I could only afford close to 100k used cars.

I love my job teaching science and math. But, it's taking a toll on a number of things in my life that I don't enjoy my personal life anymore. I barely have time to even play guitar. I have a honey-do list in summers. Non-teachers don't understand our work lives thinking its unfair that we get summer breaks. I have about 10+ years more to go to retire, but honestly, I have been thinking of quitting but I don't know an alternative to keep my family on our current meager lifestyle.

I apologize if my share turned into a rant. I realized that I think I need to see a shrink.

Last edited:
To those who are and were in the military, Thank You for service.

Back in my previous home country, I was a licensed civil engineer. In my lifetime, I was part of the design and construction of inter provincial roads, built dams, buildings, office interiors, high end houses, etc. Despite of, I still couldn't afford a PRSi. It was a third world country.

Now that I ended up in America, I became a science and math middle school teacher. I was only able to afford a used S2 but probably overspent on modifying it to my liking... because there's no way I could afford a core. I am liking it a lot that I don't seek for another PRSi. I am very content with its current configuration.

The teacher job... I am honestly a bit stressed. The kids' behaviors are off the charts and I feel like parents of the difficult ones either dump their kids with us treating schools like a parent timeout place to give them a break, or are in denial and taking their kids' sides claiming the system failed them. I find it funny when admin asks us, "what are we doing about it?", when they're the ones who should do the parenting. I thought our job is to teach and be a positive influence. Don't get me wrong, I am not by any means a terror teacher as kids loves me. They describe me as funny and cool. However, it is taking a toll on my health and family because of taking home work to grade and lesson plan on a daily basis to make an always changing boring curriculum directive more engaging to kids who don't want to learn spending school time distracted by fake fidgets. I get not more than 6 hrs of sleep everyday. It's a good thing that we get summers off coz I would probably be in a psych ward. My work friend actually had a mental breakdown and refused to go to work one morning. Is the pay good? Well... my newly college grad son had an offer higher than what I currently earn after years of teaching. He even bought himself my dream speed car that I always wanted as his daily work commute while I could only afford close to 100k used cars.

I love my job teaching science and math. But, it's taking a toll on a number of things in my life that I don't enjoy my personal life anymore. I barely have time to even play guitar. I have a honey-do list in summers. Non-teachers don't understand our work lives thinking its unfair that we get summer breaks. I have about 10+ years more to go to retire, but honestly, I have been thinking of quitting but I don't know an alternative to keep my family on our current meager lifestyle.

I apologize if my share turned into a rant. I realized that I think I need to see a shrink.
I empathize with your situation littlebadboy! I firmly believe that our teachers should be one of the best paid gigs in our society, but they are not!! People want to believe that the best and the brightest will choose positions that are barely above poverty level wages!!! Infuriating at the least and a recipe for disaster at the worst!!!! Some, like you, who are part of the best and brightest category now have to suffer through the cutbacks, unpaid overtime hours, recklessly parented pupils, dishing out your own money for supplies and supervisors asking why you have not "fixed" those kids!!!!! It is it's own type of military engagement and I thank you for your service!!!!!! I wish I could offer you a solution, but I have not developed one quite yet for this dilemma, so stay strong and know that the kids at least recognize your worth even though your bosses and the parents have their heads up their arses!

I empathize with your situation littlebadboy! I firmly believe that our teachers should be one of the best paid gigs in our society, but they are not!! People want to believe that the best and the brightest will choose positions that are barely above poverty level wages!!! Infuriating at the least and a recipe for disaster at the worst!!!! Some, like you, who are part of the best and brightest category now have to suffer through the cutbacks, unpaid overtime hours, recklessly parented pupils, dishing out your own money for supplies and supervisors asking why you have not "fixed" those kids!!!!! It is it's own type of military engagement and I thank you for your service!!!!!! I wish I could offer you a solution, but I have not developed one quite yet for this dilemma, so stay strong and know that the kids at least recognize your worth even though your bosses and the parents have their heads up their arses!
Thank you for your appreciation, sir!

I may be one of the only people here to admit I work for the rail transportation industry.. I am a Gang Foreman for the LIRR, in my 29th year, looking to make the jump the minute I make 30.. What do I make a year? usually bad decisions, and inappropriate comments..

I may be one of the only people here to admit I work for the rail transportation industry.. I am a Gang Foreman for the LIRR, in my 29th year, looking to make the jump the minute I make 30.. What do I make a year? usually bad decisions, and inappropriate comments..
We don’t judge people on their job, we judge them on personality. I ain’t rich.

If you’re cool, you’re in. That’s pretty much how we roll up in here.

littlebadboy said: "...when they're the ones who should do the parenting."
I can relate. In my almost 35 years of teaching martial arts I've been so many times used as either a baby sitting service or a "demand disciplinarian" (parental demand) for Little Johnny or Miss Suzie I could write a book on it. And it isn't from any specific demographic or class identity either. Single child or multiple siblings, single parent or two parent, Religion or not, right across the spectrum. And it's always our fault for not being able to give said child the "proper guidance".
"So you're telling me that my child cannot study karate (or the judo, aikido, iaido that we teach)?"
"Em, no mam... your child simply cannot learn what he/she (in reality you) wants to learn here in this dojo."
"Well, I never!"
I smile and bow as respectfully as humanly possible under the circumstances thinking (no, you probably haven't, nor ever will).
Sayonara, arigato gozai-masu!

littlebadboy said: "...when they're the ones who should do the parenting."
I can relate. In my almost 35 years of teaching martial arts I've been so many times used as either a baby sitting service or a "demand disciplinarian" (parental demand) for Little Johnny or Miss Suzie I could write a book on it. And it isn't from any specific demographic or class identity either. Single child or multiple siblings, single parent or two parent, Religion or not, right across the spectrum. And it's always our fault for not being able to give said child the "proper guidance".
"So you're telling me that my child cannot study karate (or the judo, aikido, iaido that we teach)?"
"Em, no mam... your child simply cannot learn what he/she (in reality you) wants to learn here in this dojo."
"Well, I never!"
I smile and bow as respectfully as humanly possible under the circumstances thinking (no, you probably haven't, nor ever will).
Sayonara, arigato gozai-masu!

This and Littlebadboy's post put the finger right on why my brother didn't become a teacher. He went through the curriculum, got his student teaching position at an elementary school and realized right away that the parents were a huge problem he couldn't stand dealing with. That was the early 90's IIRC.

When we're not locked away with our instruments, ignoring friends, family members, hunger, and/or bills, we (unfortunately) need to find a way to fund our gear habit, not to mention all the other, less fun parts of life.

So, what do y'all do for a living? You can be as broad or specific as you feel comfortable with, we don't need to know the GPS coordinates of your cubicle!

I'm bracing myself for all the creative and humorous responses.
I'm fortunate enough to be a musician/entertainer for a living for the past 20 years. The last decade I primarily make noise in South Florida and the Florida Keys. I do a solo acoustic show at resorts, yacht clubs, and events. I also manage entertainment for a few events. I keep one bar/restaurant on my schedule that I play at every Monday (Jimmy Johnsons Big Chill) where I can enjoy playing for my friends and locals.

Back