What do y'all do for a living?

My favorite job was looking at clouds. USAF weather observer. Partly cloudy? Partly sunny? Depends on the mood.

Started working for the local school system after that, doing IT, teaching, and administration. Been there 22 years, and now rent out space in the buildings when the schools aren’t using them. Anybody need a basketball court? I’m itching to try to get some live music in our auditoriums, but it’ll likely be children’s music. Can’t serve booze…

In there somewhere I worked as a trainer for TV weather-critters and decided that being a lawyer wasn’t conducive to a good-night’s sleep.

Next step will be as a department head, where I’ll quietly enjoy building community education programs until I retire in twenty years. Seems like the second half won’t be quite as unexpected as the first half, ideally.

Meanwhile, I’ll enjoy being a dad. I came to that a bit later in life than most. It’s a kick in the pants to have my toddler demand that I play guitar for him.

I'm a service tech. Primarily scales but I offer welding services and repairs on most anything involved in material handling.

I install repair and calibrate truck scales.

We are maintenance vendors for FedEx ground in my area too.

I offer welding services out of my shop in my spare time.

I retired 6 years ago and was playing in bands until Covid struck. I have health issues which meant I kept out of the way and only recently have ventured to pubs a few times. I was very fond of a few pints but stopped drinking shortly after the virus appeared. I now have a few drinks every few weeks. I'm 64 and uncertain about whether I'll ever be in another gigging band. This was my only hobby, I love playing with other people and am struggling to maintain my enthusiasm playing alone. I'm bored senseless and struggle to make it through the day.

All cloud VOIP all the time.
No more premises boxes.
I've gone from mechanical phone systems where you need 50-100 wires to service one multiline business phone, to electronic key over two pair, to digital over one pair, to VOIP/ethernet.
The learning curve over 38 years has been amazing.
We now do POE switches, routers, bandwidth, softphones, hard phones, headsets etc. instead of sitting on the floor terminating 100 wires for a single phone.
Things change when you get up in the morning (tm).

I walk around Walmart, Target, Home Depot and a few other stores, stareing at the ceilings and setting the Fire Alarms off. I just got promoted to Regional Field Supervisor aka Cat Herder. I spend more time in hotels than I do at home. But the pay is awesome, so I've got that going for me.
Which is nice!

Ditto...

Well technically... I'm a stay at home dog dad, "the help" and a kept man. It doesn't pay well but, I get to hang around the crib, play guitar and listen to music all day.

Don't hate the player...hate the game.:cool:
Wow! three of us on here that do the same thing!?!?! Imagine that!

Back