What do y'all do for a living?

Most people don't really hate the railroad, they're just letting off a little steam. I've heard its a great career track. Lots of training required though.
How could anyone hate the railroad? That's just crazy.

I've got two words for you. Engineers Hat. AMIRITE? I mean, without the railroad, we'd have to remove scenes from at least half of the old Western movies, the whole movie Stand By Me, and one of the best scenes in Breaking Bad. And we'd have to pay $.50 to get our pennies smashed. That's outrageous! I could go on...

Most people don't really hate the railroad, they're just letting off a little steam. I've heard its a great career track. Lots of training required though.

I don't hate the railroad, but I couldn't work there because of the hours. I mean, all the livelong day? Just to pass the time? At least now, because of the raised awareness around sexual harassment, you don't have to worry about Dinah.

At least now, because of the raised awareness around sexual harassment,

I may have mentioned in a Vince Neal post that a former Playboy Bunny used to work with me and her desk was right next to mine. She gave me a little statue of a mans leg from the knee down, with a dog "mounted" on the leg. The base says "Sexual harassment is not a problem, it's a job benefit."

But she gave it to me over 25 years ago. Needless to say, it doesn't sit on my desk anymore... but I still have it in a drawer.

I have pictures of her and Vince, her and Eddie Van Halen, her and Bon Jovi, etc., etc., In fact, we're still friends and I follow her on Instagram. Some of those pics are on there as well.

I may be one of the only people here to admit I work for the rail transportation industry.. I am a Gang Foreman for the LIRR, in my 29th year, looking to make the jump the minute I make 30.. What do I make a year? usually bad decisions, and inappropriate comments..

When someone says they work for the railroad, but are "looking to make the jump"... I get worried. It couldn't be that bad, could it!? ;)

When someone says they work for the railroad, but are "looking to make the jump"... I get worried. It couldn't be that bad, could it!? ;)
The jump???

No...

railroad-tracks-jerad-heffner.jpg

Yes!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't hate the railroad, but I couldn't work there because of the hours. I mean, all the livelong day? Just to pass the time? At least now, because of the raised awareness around sexual harassment, you don't have to worry about Dinah.

Yeah, but Cassey Jones figured out how to cope with all that live long day bullsh!t!

Check out the mini-toggles on that
littlebadboy said: "...when they're the ones who should do the parenting."
I can relate. In my almost 35 years of teaching martial arts I've been so many times used as either a baby sitting service or a "demand disciplinarian" (parental demand) for Little Johnny or Miss Suzie I could write a book on it. And it isn't from any specific demographic or class identity either. Single child or multiple siblings, single parent or two parent, Religion or not, right across the spectrum. And it's always our fault for not being able to give said child the "proper guidance".
"So you're telling me that my child cannot study karate (or the judo, aikido, iaido that we teach)?"
"Em, no mam... your child simply cannot learn what he/she (in reality you) wants to learn here in this dojo."
"Well, I never!"
I smile and bow as respectfully as humanly possible under the circumstances thinking (no, you probably haven't, nor ever will).
Sayonara, arigato gozai-masu!
I get used the same way, hoping that I’ll scare their kid straight (by that I mean away from being a criminal, not their sexuality)

I find restorative justice work far more successful.

Semi-retired. Spent 28 years working in Dick's Sporting Goods corporate. They paid me to play with fishing and hunting stuff....lol. When I started, there were 5 stores (headquarted in Conklin NY, privately held), when I left, there were 700 + stores and the Golf Galaxy/Field & Stream stores (corporate was relocated to Pittsburgh PA, publicly traded). I feel privileged to be in the mix when they went through all growth and expansion. I was a part of that, it's pretty cool to see all the changes.

Last edited:
Well, the career list is fairly varied. Over and above my mostly life long association with martial arts training, competing and instructing I've kept busy.
For the last of my high school years and the next 23 years I was self employed in my own business (grocery retail) as a meat cutter/manager until 1998. Then I sold the shop to a corporate entity and chilled for a couple years traveling and doing projects around the house and yard.
Always wanted to fly so I became a commercial pilot did crew changes and freight flights into remote airfields (grass and gravel mostly) with single and twin engine piston aircraft. Also ran my own sight seeing gigs with my personal Cessna 172 just to pay the airtime and keep my flight hours maxed out.
Then I worked in the local golf club pro shop to have a bit of fun and play for free. Managed to get my handicap down into the low teens and was really enjoying playing the other courses in Western Canada that offered either super cut rates for associates or even outright comps as a guest.
After that I did a few years in the oilfield supply business but the hours got really long and harsh for what the pay grade was so I really wanted a less time consuming job but never really searched hard for something different.
Then I got a phone call from a long time business associate/friend and I jumped into my current seat as the sales manager in a powersports dealership that has taken up the last 17 years.
In another month, I step into the world of of retirement immediately after my 65th birthday. Looking forward to being able to devote a whole lot more time to playing and hopefully doing some small venue gigs with friends, maybe some cover recordings. But mostly just enjoying life with a guitar in my hands.

Back