What do y'all do for a living?

I'm an engineer by schoolin', and a tinkerer, and a jack-of-all-trades-and-a-master-of-fun. Literally.

I spend most of my time looking for clauses in The Ten Commandments.
Other than that, I try to keep beat-up flying machines in the air by mechanical sorcery.

I make music (too general answer, right?) For me now, music is the first thing that really interests me and brings money. Also, I am engaged in investments, so I try to find more useful information in blogs or articles that will help me become more independent financially. I am sure that there is a lot of useful material on the Internet, especially in real estate. This industry has always been a winning option, so I plan to keep exploring it to increase my finances.

Last edited:
Had many odd jobs early on, but I worked in CNC machine shops from 1986 through 2013. Was a contract worker at Toyota from 2014 until March of 2020. Took care of getting replacement parts for the prototype builds. I really enjoyed that job. Once the virus came to town I and many other contract workers were let go. Watched the unemployment numbers rising dramatically and seeing how I just turned 67 at that time I decided to pack it in and retire. More than had my fill of the rat race.

Now I'm just a content, retired homebody. Hoping I can upgrade my kitchen this year. Hate to say it but a lot of my plans depends on what happens with this old world of ours. I want to be optimistic but I'm being very cautious with my plans.

I'm waiting for my license to practice as a Lawyer, Doctor or Dentist - after all, I bought PRS guitars and as they are only bought by Lawyers, Doctors or Dentists, I am now just waiting for my License :p:D:p

I, like many, have had different careers. My first 'main' career was a Graphic Designer but then changed to become a Senior Careworker looking after Adults with Challenging Behaviour due to either Disabilities or Mental Health - at least until my own health became an issue so now I am 'retired' due to health related issues.

Currently the sales manager at a powersports dealership (16 years worth). Spent most of my working like as a meat cutter/owner in a 25,000 sq/ft supermarket until late 90's. Then was a commercial pilot (all piston singles and light twins) for a few years, and some oilfield supply. Looking forward to being a broke musician in my upcoming retirement though. Don't really care much about the money, missus deals drugs. No, not those drugs, she's a pharmacist. :D

I know you're German and I'm American, but thanks for your service to your country.
Uh, old thread came to live. And your comment on my contribution required some elaboration, @Bodi.
At that particular time in 2016 it was "inbetween".
After leaving grammar school with university entrance exams, I did a conscript year as a soldier of a bridging platoon of a construction engineer company of an army engineer battalion. Then I did half a year apprenticeship in construction engineering (brick layer, carpenter, contruction office jobs) as prerequisit for civil engineering studies.
I was student for 1½ years. The army officer career turned out to be very attractive. I passed successfully the 3 days lasting assessment center. For the next 13 years I was trained to become a combat engineer, was platoon leader of an amphibious bridging system, platoon leader of basic military training company of the mountain engineer battalion, aswell as executive officer officer/deputy company commander of that particular unit. My last 4,5 years I spent as a Captain in the concepts and capabilities development branch of the army engineer school. Center of main effort: Explosive ordnance disposal.
I accomplished my time career volunteer contract, left service for hiring in a commercial EOD company.
That turned out to be my monetary desaster, because CEO didn't take care of labor law, and confirmed income. I took the opportunity for addressing several times politely the issues.
No reactions, but the last time I received a letter of dismission. I accused the company at law court, judge proved I had been right. In the end I left the job with some monetary compensation.
Parallel to applications for new jobs, I was called by military HR office with the request, if I could sign sgain, because my special qualification is needed severly.
I was reluctant in signing contracts quick. For an educated guess army reserve was the first step.
At that time I made my comment in summer of 2016, I was reserve, but already agreed in the official return.
This was in OCT 16, again as time career voluteer with the option of lifer contract, if my evaluations would be excellent.
Half a year staff college (with performance evalution in the top quarter), three years company commander of a combat/armoured engineer company, within 5 months EOD/IEDD refresher/update training (evaluated as best trainee), two tours to Afghanistan with 1½ years on mission in total. Most relevant: Battalion commander (LTC), brigade commander (Brigadier General), division commander (Major General) all highly recommended the transition to lifer contract in late summer/autumn of 2018. The selection board at military HR office followed their voice. Now I'm LTC, still dealing with conventional and improvised ammunition on operational level.
I make my living as a soldier, though I prefer peace and transparent diplomacy as the status and manner of policy.

Currently the sales manager at a powersports dealership (16 years worth). Spent most of my working like as a meat cutter/owner in a 25,000 sq/ft supermarket until late 90's. Then was a commercial pilot (all piston singles and light twins) for a few years, and some oilfield supply. Looking forward to being a broke musician in my upcoming retirement though. Don't really care much about the money, missus deals drugs. No, not those drugs, she's a pharmacist. :D
Cool! I spent almost 20 years in the powersports industry myself.

Prior to my IT career, 31 years ago I was wearing camouflage and my profession was that of a soldier in the US Army. (My brain is still rewired from the experience.)
Before that I worked in the alcohol beverage industry (package sales & liquor lounges) in Florida.
Even did a year of missionary style outreach in Louisiana in the mid 1980's.
Automotive 10 minute oil changes, underground utility locator, wine sales rep...
Heck... where haven't I worked?

Back