What direction is PRS going with their amps

Texas_minor_blues

Rosewood or Bust
Would they ever make a Dumble style or have they and I totally missed it?

I recall back to Exp2018, Doug talked a little about some amps for Santana he was working on but no idea if it was a 1 off idea or if they will see production light.

What other amp ideas would you guys like to see Paul & Doug go after?

Maybe someone will know the answer to this, does the JMOD have some Dumble inspiration to it? It has a post-eq extra gain stage, which I think is some of the Dumble formula, and I know Paul has mentioned John shooting out the JMOD against some of his "very valuable amps" etc., so I assume there's at least something of a similarity there. When it comes to the JMOD (as well as the Sonzera, actually), I hear similar things, an amp that it takes a specific technique and way of playing to get it to behave right, and certainly not everyone I've heard play through one can get it there. I've tried a Sonzera at least half a dozen times, and I still can't quite get it to play the way I want, I think you have to be a very good player, and more specifically a blues inspired player with a single coil guitar, to get those things to really sing.

I'd like to see a return to some mid priced single channel amps - there used to be the "30" and Sweet 16/16+, etc. Something similar to a Super Reverb, which I think maybe the Dallas was in that ball park but fairly pricey, as well as a very articulate single channel amp with a leaner bass profile than some of the other PRS amps.

Doug had mentioned that when they were working on the JMOD Mayer only wanted him to match a specific sound from his own dumble (the gain side) but that he was not at all interested in matching the cleaner / jazzy side which was interesting. Dont recall verbatim but that was the main point.

In my older age I am finding much more interest in class A amps (a return to a sweet 16 would be great)

What new knowledge will you have accumulated 5 years from now?

I'm thinking of the videos I've seen where Doug Sewell describes the process of inventing stuff which he goes through and the personal learning and growth which results from that process. So I can only imagine that the PRS amps of the future will be really interesting. More specific than that, I can't say. I don't think anyone can.

I think the MDT was probably a "near miss" at stardom. I've heard several guys just go on and on about how great they were, and that was on the early versions. But the model changed over time, and the earlier ones didn't have a mids control which IMHO is (FOR ME!) not acceptible in this price range... Then, because they never got traction, the used prices are GREAT but... very few have mids control so I've never bought one. And the "great" used prices, equal a big loss of value for someone who bought it new, and that looks bad to potential buyers and makes them be perceived poorly in the market...

I Came close a couple times. Had trade deals all but made for the Mark V. Still think it might be an amp I would fall in love with, but will probably never know.

Last edited by a moderator:

The MDT didn’t sound D at all to me, though it sounded great!

Having had a number of D style amps by Two-Rock that did sound very D, I’d say the difference was quite pronounced.

One thing about original Dumbles is that they were each built for, and voiced for, the player who bought the amps. No two sound alike. So John Mayer’s Dumble might be very different from Larry Carlton’s Dumble, etc. They were truly each one-off, bespoke amps.

Last edited:
The MDT didn’t sound D at all to me, though it sounded great!

Having had a number of D style amps by Two-Rock that did sound very D, I’d say the difference was quite pronounced.
Did you play one of the earlier ones without a mids control, or later one with it?
One of the guys who raved about it, said he could get some of the best Tweed and Marshall tones he'd ever heard with it, but he didn't say much about the D either. And, with Marshall tones, I'm sure it's probably not the ones that would be my favorite M tones. Still, I really wanted to try one. Just figured that overall, maybe a Custom 50 was better for me.

I probably didn’t even notice. No idea which version it was.
While I had several amps with no mids control that worked quite well, I always wanted them and wished those amps had them. I should just get another Custom 50 and call it a day.

IIRC, the MDT was said to be very punchy, and I like that. Some of the single channel PRS amps from around that time had a LOT of gain (as many still do when it comes to the lead channel on current 2 channel PRS amps) and while I appreciate the gesture of “always having enough,” it was just over the top for me. Give me something with a medium amount of drive and I’ll hit it with a pedal if I need more. That’s one of the (small) beefs I have with PRS amps, they often have so much gain, and the zone I want to be in ends up being so small/early on the knob travel, it’s tough to dial in. And, really, I think the amps would sound even better just being voiced for mid gain, when they do open up into the super hot zone... meh.

Something with gain and dynamics like the plexi channel of the Friedman smallbox would be a great pedal platform. Even great as a standalone.

IIRC, the MDT was said to be very punchy, and I like that. Some of the single channel PRS amps from around that time had a LOT of gain (as many still do when it comes to the lead channel on current 2 channel PRS amps) and while I appreciate the gesture of “always having enough,” it was just over the top for me. Give me something with a medium amount of drive and I’ll hit it with a pedal if I need more. That’s one of the (small) beefs I have with PRS amps, they often have so much gain, and the zone I want to be in ends up being so small/early on the knob travel, it’s tough to dial in. And, really, I think the amps would sound even better just being voiced for mid gain, when they do open up into the super hot zone... meh.

Have you played through an HXDA or DG30? Because they have very usable gain throughout their ranges.

Back