What did you replace your 85/15's with?

Yes, 7 in the magic knobby knobs number. At least it is for my PRS guitars.

But are there actual 85/15LT pickups? I have 58/15LT pups... I’ve seen articles and spec lists mentioning 85/15LT but I don’t know if it’s a typo or a real pickup.

I think they might be one offs, but I for sure saw 1 of them. Still a little bummed that I missed out on it.

58/15LT's

In a number of threads recently it seems that there has been talk of replacing the 58/15 or 58/15LT pickups. What I think is going on here is that anyone who has been accustomed to rolling the tone and volume knobs to 10 and leaving them there for years on end will not gracefully take well to these new pickups. PRS guitars with those pickups installed are not designed to be played that way. Assuming that you already have a very good amp and your tone doesn't suck because your amp sucks, rolling the VOL & TONE knobs to 10 will give you a maximum overdrive tone (so to speak). So unless you are in a Judas Priest cover band, you will want these knobs to live around the number 7 position and only kick it into overdrive when you really need to kick it up a notch. You wouldn't want to drive all the way to Albuquerque using only the passing gear, would you? Your transmission would blow up.

Not only that, but unlike many other guitar brands out there, the 1-6 range is a useless muddy swamp. But on a new PRS guitar, the 1-6 range is actually a usable range. So IMHO, YMMV getting rid of the 58/15 or 58/15LT pickups is unthinkable.

I couldn’t agree more. There are soooooo many tones in these pickups if you use your guitar controls. Especially with a 4 knob setup like a 594. And the tone controls actually work through the entire sweep of the pot. They are quite dynamic pickups when compared to some more modern mid to high output offerings, and they take some time to figure out, but once I did I fell in love with them.

The pickups in your S2 Standard 24 are the korean 85/15 "S" pickups from G&B. To achieve a top sounding guitar, you should swap them out as soon as possible. I suggest to choose the core line PRS 85/15 pickups.

I disagree. I currently have and use both types. My ears choose the S versions.

You know what? These pickups are starting to grow on me. I lowered them and they sound better. I'm gonna play it for a while like this I think. ;)

Sometimes that’s all it takes! I only have the one PRS, but I ended up lowering my 58/15LT set from the factory setup and that’s when I fell in love with them. Glad you’re liking what you’re hearing now.

my S2 SC (all hog) is very dark, I mean noticeably so even acoustically compared to me S2 mira. The no.7s sounded muddy to me, haven't tried them anywhere else though, and USA 85/15 set are just right in there. I keep planning to rotate pickups through the guitar but it sounds good. I think the 85/15 are more or less the 58/15, a little brighter/less bell like.

I tend to enthusiastically like most things by nature though ;) so there is that

Back