What colour bobbins for pickups in new Bernie

Which colour bobbin combination would you folks suggest I should use.

• Reverese Zebra's = Cream screw coil, Black slug coil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zebra'a = Black screw coil, Cream slug coil

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fullmoon 1971

Werewolf, there wolf, there castle
Hi folks,

So as some of you know I recently picked up another Bernie, bringing to total to 3, As usual this one is going to get tricked out, which brings me to the question of pickups.

I have a fledgling business making my own variations on the PAF pickups using period correct parts with good reviews,

Version #1 features my own take on the "Beast" pickups in double cream but with the neck pickup reverse wound (out of phase) Like Peter Greens LP

Version #2 features pickups from a 1999 McCarty

Version #3 will feature Low wind / Low output (around 7.2k neck, 7.4k Bridge) Duane Allman's LP

Which colour bobbin combination would you folks suggest I should use.

Reverse Zebra's

Zebra's

Reverse Zebra Hybrid

Zebra Hybrid

Addictional question
I currently use two slightly different cream colour butyrate bobbins. Given the option listed.
Which cream color would you use?
Older slightly darker - mimics slightly aged pickes
Newer Lighter cream - Mimic's pickups that have just their covers removed.

Last edited:
On a Bernie, I think double-cream on both neck & bridge pickups would be best. My best explanation "why" is because there's no other black on the face of the guitar for that color to correspond to. (You've already got cream pickup rings, so that coordinates.) If not that, then I think reverse zebra's is totally acceptable.

I would go with double cream as well. I like the look of the older ones better. Just a little more cream

Back