What can you tell me about studios?

Solteroblues

I'm doing this backwards... I bought a 2013 Studio (will be here tomorrow), and now I want to learn more about them... I can't find much on them... Who can school me on these?

so no one has anything to add to this? They aren't still being made, are they? I can't find them on the products page...When was the first year? Why did they stop making them? Etc...? Anyone?

so no one has anything to add to this? They aren't still being made, are they? I can't find them on the products page...When was the first year? Why did they stop making them? Etc...? Anyone?

Pretty sure the studios offer a big vastness ( big word for a bass player, huh?) of tones, due to the HB/S/S pickup combo, whether you have the newer one with Narrowfields or the older Studio with single coils...either way, you'll get some great sounds outta that thang...Congrats!! You'll enjoy it!!!

Studios are killer guitars! Think superstrat with hotter/bolder "single coil" pickups -- they don't have that huge dropoff in volume when you switch from the bridge 57/08 to the Narrowfields. The Narrowfields definitely have more drive and midrange than Strat single coil. But back the volume knob off to 6-8 if you have a responsive amp, and they get really close! It's a very versatile guitar if you're willing to work the volume knob. The in-between sounds are very Strat-like. The only sound it's really missing is that weedy Strat bridge pickup sound. No loss there!

Alas, they were not a great seller and got discontinued.

Studios are killer guitars!
Alas, they were not a great seller and got discontinued.

I would say that the Studio model (with the NF/NF/HB pickups) is one of the greatest guitars PRS has ever invented. Versatility is the greatest strength of the design. I predict that in years to come, there will be a cult following of the Studio model guitar of which I speak and they will be pretty hard to find. Mine just happens to be a Swamp Ash Studio but the regular Studios (the usual set neck, Maple top over Mahogany body and Mahogany neck) are great too.

PRS_SwampAshStudio_1698.jpg

This guitar has two 57/08 Narrowfield pickups and one full size 57/08 pickup. Only the full sized pickup is connected to the push/pull knob so that it can be cut in half to just one coil.

I have a studio and love it. I agree with herr on the volume knob adjustments. makes for a very versatile guitar. I have the same pickups as hanger18 and love them. Do a search for studio guitar in this forum. There is a member who has a killer country song he does with his studio, which is in itself is a gorgeous looking guitar.

My avatar pic is the 2012 Experience SAS in desert foil that I got lucky and found hanging unsold in a GC in Cincinnatti. As soon as I walked in the door it caught my eye. I tried to resist, but I asked to play it in the platinum room. That's all it took-the thing played and sounded incredible. You can feel the neck vibrating like a piano string, and the tones available are all useful.

Since I started this thread, I might as well add the picture of mine. I had already posted a NGD for it, but I can never show off too much!

18336498773_5c380ec0d1_b.jpg

Stunning colour!

I don't own a Studio but I've tried them and that Swamp Ash Studio is very high on the list (as well as that ME III...)
Owning a Swamp Ash Special NF and a McCarty NF I can speak for the NFs in both mahogany/maple bodies and swamp ash bodies and they work really well in both.
I play clean a lot, so the swamp ash brings probably the biggest smile to my face of any guitar I've ever owned. The 57/08 NF is probably my favourite pickup ever. Such a shame you don't see them that often.
The full-sized 57/08 on the bridge should work really well! (I play neck PU 80% of the time...)

I cant tell you much about the studios other than I know a GC that has one for 1800$ and I wish I had the money to buy it....................................................
:(

I cant tell you much about the studios other than I know a GC that has one for 1800$ and I wish I had the money to buy it....................................................
:(

Well, that's what credit cards are for. But don't listen to me 'cause I did that. Now I got to pay the thing off................... :bawling:

Since I started this thread, I might as well add the picture of mine. I had already posted a NGD for it, but I can never show off too much!

18336498773_5c380ec0d1_b.jpg
That was my exact fantasy guitar a few years back. Never actually played one. But the pickup configuration looked like the perfect solution for all the best sounds from one guitar. And I wanted that color.

I would say that the Studio model (with the NF/NF/HB pickups) is one of the greatest guitars PRS has ever invented. Versatility is the greatest strength of the design. I predict that in years to come, there will be a cult following of the Studio model guitar of which I speak and they will be pretty hard to find. Mine just happens to be a Swamp Ash Studio but the regular Studios (the usual set neck, Maple top over Mahogany body and Mahogany neck) are great too.

PRS_SwampAshStudio_1698.jpg

This guitar has two 57/08 Narrowfield pickups and one full size 57/08 pickup. Only the full sized pickup is connected to the push/pull knob so that it can be cut in half to just one coil.
Ridiculously great looking guitar!

I'm doing this backwards... I bought a 2013 Studio (will be here tomorrow), and now I want to learn more about them... I can't find much on them... Who can school me on these?
I'm trying to do this Frontwards, How do you like the guitar, the one thing I can't seem to confirm is the nut width, Pattern, or pattern thin. It would appear To be 1 11/16 " Also known as 42.86 mm,
can you actually measure your nut, I found the question posed in 3 or 4 different forums.
And the answers are hilarious, Can you Please give me the dimension? Answer: it's a lot like some other guitar I once had It's a little bit big and a little bit small don't worry about it.
I would like an actual confirmation a number a measurement a dimension, not it's pretty good.

Thanks I hope you're enjoying it, I don't think I've ever read a bad review about the guitar.

Back