What can I expect changing to 57/08s

88prs

OCD for PRS
So I have a 2001 CU22 with Dragon II's measuring 7.76 neck and 12.2 bridge and I believe are Alnico IV.

Changing to 57/08's with Alnico IIs and less output on the bridge. But what else? They show on the website that they aren't scooped in the mids like an old PAF (Seth Lover) but will they be open and airy?

Thanks!

I think they sound more organic than D2's personally. It's been awhile since I've had D2's though and they were in a Standard 24

I find the 57/08 to be very open, smooth and pretty even across the tonal spectrum. They split well and sound amazing clean and dirty. To me, it is the best pickup...ever. It is what got me into PRS guitars after trying and hating do many models with the HFS/VB pickups.

I had a really amazing CU22 with D2s that I kept stock, but if it was my only PRS I would not hesitate to switch to 57/08s. Your guitar will seem do much more alive and vocal.

Smart choice is stay with PRS 57/08 since they are alnico II which I like??.... or venture out to SD alnico II Pro? They appear to have the same DC resistance but are mid scooped where the chart for the 57/08s looks pretty flat.

Smart choice is stay with PRS 57/08 since they are alnico II which I like??.... or venture out to SD alnico II Pro? They appear to have the same DC resistance but are mid scooped where the chart for the 57/08s looks pretty flat.

I don’t know that those tone charts can be trusted when comparing two different brands of pickups - their eq is probably accurate comparing to other pickups of their brand, but it’s hard to say if that will translate across different brands.

That being said, you simply can’t go wrong with 57/08’s. I’ve tried some dimarzio and Duncan pickups, and while some have been good, there’s nothing I’ve liked more than the PRS pickups, especially 57/08 and 59/09. They consistently have the best punch and balance, IMO.

I don’t know that those tone charts can be trusted when comparing two different brands of pickups - their eq is probably accurate comparing to other pickups of their brand, but it’s hard to say if that will translate across different brands.

That being said, you simply can’t go wrong with 57/08’s. I’ve tried some dimarzio and Duncan pickups, and while some have been good, there’s nothing I’ve liked more than the PRS pickups, especially 57/08 and 59/09. They consistently have the best punch and balance, IMO.

This! I took the DII's out of my Cu22 (2008) and put a 57/08 in the neck and a 59/09 in the bridge. It sounded good with the DII, but it sounds great with the 08/09

The 57/08's almost defy description for me... they're that good. I can make mine (in an '11 McCarty-58) sound dark & fat in an awesome way. But then I can get the guitar to sound clear & chimey, too.

I guess I would say they're pretty much everything that I'd expect to get out of a good ol' PAF pickup--that is, if I could ever get my hands on some. (But why would I need to? I have these pickups in an MC-58 guitar so I've pretty much got the best of "that" coveted late-50's style guitar that I could ever ask for.)

I have a set of 5708s in a Korina McCarty and I love them in that guitar. They were installed by the PRS PTC back in 2009 when PRS was running a “PTC pickup swap” deal on any new USA PRS purchase. The covers are brushed and unengraved.

I was considering a set of 5708s for a 2008 SC245, and noticed PRS and dealers sell them. I read that the dc resistance stated in the 5708 product description shows the current 5708s as being a bit hotter than the older 5708s seem to be.

Does anyone know if the current 5708s are the same wind as the older sets? Any difference? What is the bobbin shape, rounded ends or square? I know the p/u covers are shiny. Thx!

I have a set of 5708s in a Korina McCarty and I love them in that guitar. They were installed by the PRS PTC back in 2009 when PRS was running a “PTC pickup swap” deal on any new USA PRS purchase. The covers are brushed and unengraved.

I was considering a set of 5708s for a 2008 SC245, and noticed PRS and dealers sell them. I read that the dc resistance stated in the 5708 product description shows the current 5708s as being a bit hotter than the older 5708s seem to be.

Does anyone know if the current 5708s are the same wind as the older sets? Any difference? What is the bobbin shape, rounded ends or square? I know the p/u covers are shiny. Thx!
I love looking at your Korina McCarty Tom.

I put a set into my Les Paul and they seem pretty good there... But I'm not sure that helps you at all :)

Also have a set in my sc245 - they are very good, I think you'll be happy for a classic rock, or blues sound.

But, did you say what you don't like about your current ones, and what style of music?

Look for a set that split too - not all of them do (like the ones that come stock in some hollowbody etc)

Best video shoot out ever. 57/08 are right next to D2 pups. And if you go to the page, you can click on the links that allow you to hear the same riff played through each one. You can hear for yourself.

I’ve said it once, I’ll say it a thousand more times; 57/08 (bass) and 59/09 (treble) should just be the default PRS pickups.

Innovation is rad and all... but... when you finally have a f@cking winning combo after 20+ years of people bagging on your pickups... just do that.

Back