What can i do to avoid more and more scratches and swirl marks after every time i clean my guitar?

What about severe buckle rash.
Light scratches can be polished out, but I take 'severe' to mean 'heavy'.

The only way to fix heavy scratches is a refinish. Too much paint would have to be removed to level the surface enough to remove the scratches with polish.

I realize collectors diss refinished guitars like there's some magic voodoo in original paint. So what, it's your guitar, and if buckle rash bothers you, there's nothing wrong with a refinish, provided it's done correctly and is thin enough.

It's kinda like the magic voodoo in hang tags and 'case candy'. I mean, come on. But now you have to save this junk because it seems required by future buyers.

I remember throwing out the certificate and junk from my Artist II before I sold it in the late '90s. No one cared. Now they might. I really want to have a "burn the paper junk that comes in guitar cases" party, which I need about as much as I needed to carry around my draft card that in my lifetime no one ever asked for, even when I got drafted. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Light scratches can be polished out, but I take 'severe' to mean 'heavy'.

The only way to fix heavy scratches is a refinish. Too much paint would have to be removed to level the surface enough to remove the scratches with polish.

I realize collectors diss refinished guitars like there's some magic voodoo in original paint. So what, it's your guitar, and if buckle rash bothers you, there's nothing wrong with a refinish, provided it's done correctly and is thin enough.

It's kinda like the magic voodoo in hang tags and 'case candy'. I mean, come on. But now you have to save this junk because it seems required by future buyers.

I remember throwing out the certificate and junk from my Artist II before I sold it in the late '90s. No one cared. Now they might. I really want to have a "burn the paper junk that comes in guitar cases" party, which I need about as much as I needed to carry around my draft card that in my lifetime no one ever asked for, even when I got drafted. :rolleyes:
when i moved out of my parents' house, i put my high school diploma (a big padded thing with an etching of the school on fake silk) right in the garbage.

No buckles EVER touch the backs of my guitars. I always tuck my shirt around my buckle, even though it is a smaller dress belt buckle. No cowboy billboards on my belts.:D

The only time a "Dead D__k Monument" belongs near a guitar is a Gretsch Knotty Pine Roundup where it's safely mounted to the tailpiece.

Roundup_05.jpg

when i moved out of my parents' house, i put my high school diploma (a big padded thing with an etching of the school on fake silk) right in the garbage.
I attended my high school graduation as an observer solely because my girlfriend was graduating as the valedictorian! Were it not for that, I certainly would not have gone at all!! I think my Mom still has my diploma ;~))

For me, plush microfiber cloth only as guitar is being put into case after each days play. When I change strings, I will clean up the areas that are difficult to access when strings are on, but sometimes I am in such a hurry to get the new strings on that I forget!! I have a few different guitar cleaners, and only use them when there is something that can not be removed with a little water on a microfiber cloth. As Les said in his excellent description, not all microfiber cloths are created the same. The one I use most is from Fender, but I also have really nice ones from Ernie Ball others, I just think the plush and feel of the Fender one is the best of those I have so I use it daily. Only scratches on my main guitar (which has over 2,000 hours of play time) are pick scratches from my sometimes aggressive playing, YMMV. I polished it once shortly after I first received it, but decided I did not want to wear away the finish with abrasives so I abandoned that!

I attended my high school graduation as an observer solely because my girlfriend was graduating as the valedictorian! Were it not for that, I certainly would not have gone at all!! I think my Mom still has my diploma ;~))
Man, if I ever get around to graduating I’m gonna hang mine up in the bathroom.

For me, plush microfiber cloth only as guitar is being put into case after each days play. When I change strings, I will clean up the areas that are difficult to access when strings are on, but sometimes I am in such a hurry to get the new strings on that I forget!! I have a few different guitar cleaners, and only use them when there is something that can not be removed with a little water on a microfiber cloth. As Les said in his excellent description, not all microfiber cloths are created the same. The one I use most is from Fender, but I also have really nice ones from Ernie Ball others, I just think the plush and feel of the Fender one is the best of those I have so I use it daily. Only scratches on my main guitar (which has over 2,000 hours of play time) are pick scratches from my sometimes aggressive playing, YMMV. I polished it once shortly after I first received it, but decided I did not want to wear away the finish with abrasives so I abandoned that!
Word! My favorite really is that Veuve Clicqout pentanque microfiber I used in that video. It doesn’t “shed” or absorb like some of the guitar ones I got.

i say the same about a graduate degree, which i should have finished 25 years ago. at this stage in life i'd rather do nails.

just today i was saying i'm going to do the men's room in elizabeth taylor photos.
My wife has a whole bunch of degrees and never hangs them up, what’s up with y’all?

I used to live with a dude who had a bunch of Warhol prints, and coincidentally we did have the Elizabeth Taylor in our bathroom at one point. It only got moved after we found a poster of a turkey that said “I’m so happy here I could just s**t”.

It’s important to have your own theme song.
Sure is, hopefully I will be launching my "Moondog Monday" song/live feed later this month! Song was written a couple of months ago, but too much "life" stuff to attend to before I start this weekly feed!! "Funny and silly with the Moondog Wily, maybe just a bit absurd" is one of the lines and I hope to live up to it!!!

I saved mine. No idea why!

However, I have no idea where that, or my college diploma, are. I'm guessing somewhere in the pile of boxes in my basement resulting from several moves. I found my old law school diploma in a box, where it had a crappy looking frame that was once in my office when I still practiced law (stopped making a living at that when I got into music in 1991). So I had that re-framed just because.

I do need to clean all that junk out. I started putting it in plastic storage boxes before COVID, and then lost my momentum. I was also planning to put new flooring in my studio, and have it painted, but also lost traction on that. The painter who also does flooring got too busy, and now I hardly care any more.

I've read that rats love to eat cardboard, and that one should get rid of cardboard in a basement storage room.

Which means I should get rid of the shipping boxes for my guitar and recording gear. Except...what if I move again??? What if I need to ship something for service? What if I sell something?

You see my conundrum. I don't want rats. But I do want to be able to ship or move my gear safely. There's gotta be a compromise! ;)

I saved mine. However, I have no idea where that, or my college diploma, are. I'm guessing somewhere in the pile of boxes in my basement resulting from several moves.

I do need to clean all that out. I started putting all the junk in plastic storage boxes before COVID, and then lost my momentum.

I've read that rats love to eat cardboard, and that one should get rid of cardboard in a basement storage room.

Which means I should get rid of the shipping boxes for my guitar and recording gear. Except...what if I move again??? What if I need to ship something for service? What if I sell something?

You see my conundrum. I don't want rats. But I do want to be able to ship or move my gear safely. There's gotta be a compromise! ;)
Get rid of the rats!

Back