What can i do to avoid more and more scratches and swirl marks after every time i clean my guitar?

I kept the diplomas and awards from university. Mrs framed some of them, but they never went on a wall. They sit on top of a bookcase in a spare room.

I did tell the girls I have a gold medal in a drawer with belts I don’t wear.
jiminy cricket, a gold medal?

I saved mine. No idea why!

However, I have no idea where that, or my college diploma, are. I'm guessing somewhere in the pile of boxes in my basement resulting from several moves. I found my old law school diploma in a box, where it had a crappy looking frame that was once in my office when I still practiced law (stopped making a living at that when I got into music in 1991). So I had that re-framed just because.

I do need to clean all that junk out. I started putting it in plastic storage boxes before COVID, and then lost my momentum. I was also planning to put new flooring in my studio, and have it painted, but also lost traction on that. The painter who also does flooring got too busy, and now I hardly care any more.

I've read that rats love to eat cardboard, and that one should get rid of cardboard in a basement storage room.

Which means I should get rid of the shipping boxes for my guitar and recording gear. Except...what if I move again??? What if I need to ship something for service? What if I sell something?

You see my conundrum. I don't want rats. But I do want to be able to ship or move my gear safely. There's gotta be a compromise! ;)
paint that studio! it looks like the golden girls in there all white and tame!

(i'm saying this as somone with 6 gallons of unopened paint for projects started -- maybe imagined -- last spring.)

I don't even do that! Not every time. I sure don't polish my guitar everyday.

I clean it up and polish it when I change the strings. That's about it.
I only polish when it’s headed out for a gig, or if I’m changing strings. Otherwise, I’m watching for smears and smudges, but they aren’t happening hardly at all. Speaking of which, I’ve got a buddy who is one of those guys who can play anything well. I hate letting him play my stuff because he’s got sweaty hands and he seems to need to caress every possible surface.

I saved mine. No idea why!

However, I have no idea where that, or my college diploma, are. I'm guessing somewhere in the pile of boxes in my basement resulting from several moves. I found my old law school diploma in a box, where it had a crappy looking frame that was once in my office when I still practiced law (stopped making a living at that when I got into music in 1991). So I had that re-framed just because.

I do need to clean all that junk out. I started putting it in plastic storage boxes before COVID, and then lost my momentum. I was also planning to put new flooring in my studio, and have it painted, but also lost traction on that. The painter who also does flooring got too busy, and now I hardly care any more.

I've read that rats love to eat cardboard, and that one should get rid of cardboard in a basement storage room.

Which means I should get rid of the shipping boxes for my guitar and recording gear. Except...what if I move again??? What if I need to ship something for service? What if I sell something?

You see my conundrum. I don't want rats. But I do want to be able to ship or move my gear safely. There's gotta be a compromise! ;)
If the rats eat the boxes, you don’t have them to ship or move with anyway. I’m trying to get rid of a flock of rats in my garage at the moment. I say huck the boxes…

paint that studio! it looks like the golden girls in there all white and tame!

(i'm saying this as somone with 6 gallons of unopened paint for projects started -- maybe imagined -- last spring.)
Show me your studio pics so I can decide if I should be taking your interior decorating advice or you should be taking mine.

White has a few advantages: It brightens up a basement room with only one small window that doesn't bring in much light. It's known that white walls help people focus. It makes artwork pop (that's why you see it in galleries).

And I like it.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! UPDATE: Yesterday i hit mi guitar with a hanging lamp. Now, it has her first dent on the nut . I just bough it 3 days ago!!
Bummer. Oh well...it was going to happen sooner or later.

Better later...but that's life.

Maybe you can sand and polish it out if it's only the nut.

Show me your studio pics so I can decide if I should be taking your interior decorating advice or you should be taking mine.

White has a few advantages: It brightens up a basement room with only one small window that doesn't bring in much light. It's known that white walls help people focus. It makes artwork pop (that's why you see it in galleries).

And I like it.
hey hey -- don't bristle up, you're the one who started these projects. paint it the color of your choice, white again if you must, just paint it. but if you get a new rug, i suggest something iranian.

Bummer. Oh well...it was going to happen sooner or later.

Better later...but that's life.

Maybe you can sand and polish it out if it's only the nut.
Hahaha thanks you!. I think it's part of life (and having a guitar).

hey hey -- don't bristle up, you're the one who started these projects. paint it the color of your choice, white again if you must, just paint it. but if you get a new rug, i suggest something iranian.
The rug in the studio is a modern interpretation of a Persian Samad. It's hand knotted wool, it's a nicely executed design, and most important, I like it. But it's not from Iran. You can't import them, haven't been able to since 1987 for the most part.

I have antique and modern Persian rugs in every room of my house, some from the 1920s, and an Afghan Kilim in a bathroom. I need no convincing to go with the old Persian designs.

Risking a real Persian rug on the floor of a basement is a pretty bad idea. They're too expensive to replace.

The flooring I don't like is the gray tweed carpeting. That'll be replaced. I'm on my painter's waiting list for the white walls.

Last edited:
The rug in the studio is a modern interpretation of a Persian Samad. It's hand knotted wool, it's a nicely executed design, and most important, I like it. But it's not from Iran. You can't import them, haven't been able to since 1987 for the most part.

I have antique and modern Persian rugs in every room of my house, some from the 1920s, and an Afghan Kilim in a bathroom. I need no convincing to go with the old Persian designs.

Risking a real Persian rug on the floor of a basement is a pretty bad idea. They're too expensive to replace.

The flooring I don't like is the gray tweed carpeting. That'll be replaced. I'm on my painter's waiting list for the white walls.
i indeed had a real one down there when my basement flooded -- had to roll it up and put it across four chairs. a 12 by 10 foot rug.

progress!

i indeed had a real one down there when my basement flooded -- had to roll it up and put it across four chairs. a 12 by 10 foot rug.

progress!
I want to avoid that - I haven't had a flood, but you never know. I had a Blue 1922 Persian Tabriz down there but my wife kept saying, "Is this really a good idea? You can't replace it." She was right.

Then I had a modern hand tufted wool Tabriz pattern in tan, grey and maroon colors, but I changed the furniture in that part of the room, and it didn't look great, so I gave it to my daughter.

This gray one with the Samad pattern works with the black painted oak stuff in the room, it's 8x10, and I do like it. It's the rest of the flooring and ceiling that bother me. I'm still working out whether I want to go with a waterproof real wood floor (apparently that's a thing) or another wall-to-wall carpet underneath the rug, which works well with my acoustics, and that's important, since the room sounds great and I don't want to redo all the panels I've sunk a good chunk of change into.

I also plan ceiling molding - and maybe a wood plank ceiling if it won't screw up the acoustics. I'm getting specs on that. The crappy doors that enclose the water main and the electrical box will be replaced with decent looking cabinets as well.

If this rug gets damaged by flooding, it's nine hundred bucks out the window instead of nine grand.

But nothing changes until the painter does his work, and I'm pretty far down on the list. I've had a few painting disasters trying to do it myself. Never again. My painter is very slow, but his work is impeccable. I guess that's why he's got a long waiting list.

All this nonsense gives me the opportunity to invest in gear instead of decor. That's not a bad thing.

Last edited:
Get a tube of Simichrome polish. You can always find it on Amazon and Home Depot sometimes has it.

Jerry Rosa at Rosa Stringworks turned me onto it. He uses it to rub out guitar finishes and to blend in a spot refinish.

Use a soft cotton cloth, not a paper towel, and apply a dab on the spot you want to rub to a high polish and have at it.

Works beautifully on finishes and pickguards to remove fine scratches and restore a finish to a high gloss.

Back