What "beater" do you pick up?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by danktat, Sep 8, 2021.

1. aphantomvaper

aphantomvaper New Member

Washburn acoustics have always sounded really great to me. I have a $99 Washburn parlor guitar that is played very often.

LSchefman and danktat like this.
  2. Tony M.

Tony M. New Member

Whoever's turn it is in my random rotation of guitars.

3. ScottR

ScottR If nobody saw it, it didn't happen.

Sooo, I'm not the only one? I feel better now. I only have one so it starts saying...hey a$$hole why are you spinning in circles? I'm over here ya big dummy. Big Momma don't mess around, and she's the jealous type. ;)

4. Aahzz

Aahzz Bluebeard Member

I work from home, and generally from the living room couch most of the day unless I'm actively recording - so these serve that position as well as all other positions.

[​IMG]

5. danktat

danktat Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist

Heck, if I WERE, I might be able to HAVE PRS fiddles as "beaters" :confused:

6. danktat

danktat Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist

Yeah man. I have one. But like I said in the original post, it is a bit bulky for the "grab and go" kind of guitar though. Sounds and play great though. (cost me a bit more than 99 bucks, but it wasn't what I could call "pricey").

[​IMG]

7. colinkanders

colinkanders Compulsive Noodler

My S2 Mira is my go-to guitar. Not only is she the one I've most bonded with, but she can get a solidly good tone for any style of music (and amazing tone for blues-rock, which is what I play most often).

LSchefman, Aahzz and danktat like this.
  8. Slowhands

Slowhands New Member

This. It's 31 years old and though it doesn't look it, it's beat up in spots that aren't visible. Enough that the monetary value in it is probably not much. But it sits next to my desk, I reach for it for everything. No question it's my number one and then some.

[​IMG]

9. gush

gush She said "huge bag of dibs".

Ha ha ha. I have a couple beaters both 97 ce22s.

One is a black burst with dragon 1s rotary and trem. It has a big giant crack in the neck pocket that may or may not be "just the finish" but I love playing it. I'm always blown away by how good those pickups sound when the vol pot is rolled down bit.

It has metal chrome pickup rings and I glued SS flat washers to the tops of the black speed knobs to keep the chrome look going. Kind of dumb but it is a beater!!

The other is a hog ce22 trem rotary but with 5310s

Both have holes in the top from a midi pickup. Previous owner.

10. Sybo

Sybo Nashvillan

Moondog, I have a cheap Yamaha AIM that I went at the saddle really carefully but aggressively. I also split a set of 12 string Elixers that are light. Brass bridge pins and some other secret fairy dust. Action is amazing, no matter what tuning , it’s such a great, special one. They are out there. It actually sounds excellent also..

11. Moondog Wily

Moondog Wily Howlin' At The Moon!

Thanks for the tips Sybo! I must admit, I have become lazy about doing any work on the Martin, because I have these 3 PRSi now, and I can get a tone I am happy with for most acoustic stuff out of my 594 HBII for the time being. I still ultimately want an acoustic that plays better, and I know my J-40 will get there (but will it be far enough?), but sometimes GAS decides the route to a better playing fiddle!!! I will have to try the half pack of 12 string Elixers, that is a good idea!! I had a Yamaha 12 string in the late 80's that sounded really good, but I "Pete Townsended" one night at a party! It had really good tone! Not like my Martin D12-20 though which I bought after I smashed that Yamaha, and I still have that Martin to this day (it is 50 years old this year, I have owned it for 30)! I am leaning heavy toward a carbon fiber guitar for several reasons, the biggest being not having to worry about taking it into less than perfect conditions. I would really like to play some though and to do that, I will need to do some travel, so not sure when that is going to happen. I may buy one blind and sell it if I no like! The loss would be less than flying somewhere ;~)) Do you have any experience with CF guitars? Anyway, good tips and I am trying to get on it!

Alnus Rubra and LSchefman like this.
  12. chicagoslim

chicagoslim New Member

I always keep an S2, out on a guitar stand. A working guitar, nicer than a beater, not as nice as a core model. Most of my guitars stay in a case or gig bag, when not in use.

[​IMG]

#32 chicagoslim, Oct 19, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  13. Herr Squid

Herr Squid I was severely impressed

I don't know about "beater," but these are the two I reach for when I'm just bashing around and don't feel like risking one of the fancier ones. '97 CE and '11 Studio. They're both nicely broken in:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc “Evil” Sergio. You can tell by the goatee

Moondog Wily, bodia, alantig and 5 others like this.
  15. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Yeah baby!!

bodia and Sybo like this.
  16. aphantomvaper

aphantomvaper New Member

My 22 fret Santana SE is preferred for my beater axe, but I did pay a quarter for it!