What "beater" do you pick up?

I walk into my living room, slowly do a 360, and wait for a guitar to speak to me. Sometimes it’s, “pick me! No, pick me! No, me! Hey, I’m your fav!”, which makes it tough.

Sooo, I'm not the only one? I feel better now. I only have one so it starts saying...hey a$$hole why are you spinning in circles? I'm over here ya big dummy. Big Momma don't mess around, and she's the jealous type. ;)

I work from home, and generally from the living room couch most of the day unless I'm actively recording - so these serve that position as well as all other positions.

velas3.jpg

Washburn acoustics have always sounded really great to me. I have a $99 Washburn parlor guitar that is played very often.
Yeah man. I have one. But like I said in the original post, it is a bit bulky for the "grab and go" kind of guitar though. Sounds and play great though. (cost me a bit more than 99 bucks, but it wasn't what I could call "pricey").

56567953_10161605299150331_6309846233917685760_n.jpg

What's a beater?

If I want to learn something, I use a good guitar. Seriously, it makes everything easier.

Ha ha ha. I have a couple beaters both 97 ce22s.

One is a black burst with dragon 1s rotary and trem. It has a big giant crack in the neck pocket that may or may not be "just the finish" but I love playing it. I'm always blown away by how good those pickups sound when the vol pot is rolled down bit.

It has metal chrome pickup rings and I glued SS flat washers to the tops of the black speed knobs to keep the chrome look going. Kind of dumb but it is a beater!!

The other is a hog ce22 trem rotary but with 5310s

Both have holes in the top from a midi pickup. Previous owner.

Although I do have beaters, I rarely reach for them as they are cased just like my good guitars. I usually pull out my beaters when nostalgic thoughts possess me or guilt (Oh my, I haven't played that one all year, poor thing). For general noodling, I am reaching for my McCarty 594 HBII. It is light, don't have to plug it in to get some descent sound on what I am trying to play, and action to die for (like all my PRSi)! Some stuff says "I am an acoustic guitar song", and when that happens, I reach for my Martin J-40 (not quite a beater but I do beat up on it from time to time). What I really need and am searching for is an acoustic that I can play for hours similar to how I can play my PRS electrics. With my J-40 or my other acoustics, I can't last more than 60-90 minutes before I have to switch to an electric. If I don't switch, then I am unlikely to want to play the next day because fingers will be too sore. With my electrics, I have had several days over the past three months or so where I have played for 5-6 hours over the course of the day, and am able to pick up again the next day with similar time stretches if I have the time and feel fine.

But my favorite beater (which I call my beach guitar) is my "Carlos" (that is the brand name). It is an acoustic that was made in Korea. I have no idea of year, what kind of wood, etc. What I do know is, I paid $20 for it in 2006, hardshell Martin green case included (which I believe is worth more than the guitar). And it has better action than either of my Martins (J-40 from 2019 and D12-20 from 1971). And believe me, I know how to adjust action on my axes and I have never once in 15 years had to do a thing to "Carlos". A friend played it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and was like "Holy sh!t, that is some sweet action". Now tone wise, it sounds a little better than a tin can with strings, but it befuddles me that a guitar of this low grade can have action like that when my acoustics that cost thousands don't have similar or better action. Great to have it though, so when I want to go somewhere, I don't have to worry about anything that happens to it!

I played some Ovations in the 80's and 90's that friends owned, and to this day, they were the easiest play acoustics I have ever strummed, but I never cared for their tone a whole lot. They sound better than my Carlos, but still not my cup of tea. Still searching for that elusive acoustic. Hopefully I will get a chance to try some PRSi acoustics later this year when I travel to some locations that have some available for me to strum. Until then, HBII is my go to!!! And loving every minute with that beauty!!! Now once I start pumpin' out some Funk again (soon), both my CU24's will get to shine and I will be grabbing them even though a couple pounds heavier than my HBII.

Happy beaters!
MW
Moondog, I have a cheap Yamaha AIM that I went at the saddle really carefully but aggressively. I also split a set of 12 string Elixers that are light. Brass bridge pins and some other secret fairy dust. Action is amazing, no matter what tuning , it’s such a great, special one. They are out there. It actually sounds excellent also..

Moondog, I have a cheap Yamaha AIM that I went at the saddle really carefully but aggressively. I also split a set of 12 string Elixers that are light. Brass bridge pins and some other secret fairy dust. Action is amazing, no matter what tuning , it’s such a great, special one. They are out there. It actually sounds excellent also..
Thanks for the tips Sybo! I must admit, I have become lazy about doing any work on the Martin, because I have these 3 PRSi now, and I can get a tone I am happy with for most acoustic stuff out of my 594 HBII for the time being. I still ultimately want an acoustic that plays better, and I know my J-40 will get there (but will it be far enough?), but sometimes GAS decides the route to a better playing fiddle!!! I will have to try the half pack of 12 string Elixers, that is a good idea!! I had a Yamaha 12 string in the late 80's that sounded really good, but I "Pete Townsended" one night at a party! It had really good tone! Not like my Martin D12-20 though which I bought after I smashed that Yamaha, and I still have that Martin to this day (it is 50 years old this year, I have owned it for 30)! I am leaning heavy toward a carbon fiber guitar for several reasons, the biggest being not having to worry about taking it into less than perfect conditions. I would really like to play some though and to do that, I will need to do some travel, so not sure when that is going to happen. I may buy one blind and sell it if I no like! The loss would be less than flying somewhere ;~)) Do you have any experience with CF guitars? Anyway, good tips and I am trying to get on it!

My Bluebird. It's a resin guitar making it resilient to season changes so I just keep it out so I cangrab quick if an inspiration comes. I got it dirt cheap enough to be a beater but mod with Gibson Firebird pickups and etc.

Back