What artists influenced or what prompted you to get PRS gear?

Only by coincidence viewing a PRS ad in Guitar Player magazine in early 1995. Immediately made the connection that the double-cut PRS combines both a Strat and LP, but is actually neither. Listening to the guitar through a 100W singing Marshall is what drew me in. Couldn't afford a Cu22 or Cu24 in 1995, but settled on a CE 22 trem with 5-way rotary in tortoise non-10. IIRC, the guitar cost about $200 more than my Silverburst LP Custom did in 1982, but in my mind, it was a thing of beauty.

After the cost of a new right rear tire I blew out on the way to the guitar shop, and the CE22, I was comparatively happy. The CE22 would stay with me for the next 18 months, then my journey of discovery at a higher-end PRS retailer would fuel my quest for the next 2 decades.

Last edited:
I just joined and searched to see if a topic like this had been posted before, and didn't find one, so hopefully this won't get booted. ;)

Many years ago I was a Strat Fan tried and true. Jimi, SRV, Gilmour, Clapton, Blackmore and many others. Then I saw Alex Lifeson (Rush) playing a PRS guitar and was curious--he is one of my favorite guitarists. What was this guitar all about? I had to know...

Five PRS's later, I have kept my two favorites--a 2004 CU24 Artist and a 2010 SC245 McCarty Burst. Having heard several of the new amps, I will have to have one soon.

But, why did YOU first get PRS gear?

Glad to be a part of this cool place,
Phred
None. I've been attached to the brand since '82 and officially, 2009.

Michael Akerfedlt from Opeth for me. He had a beautiful deep blue Custom 24 that he played live on their 'Lamentations' DVD.

It was before I'd even started playing guitar, and I had no idea who PRS were. But soon as I saw that guitar I wanted it!

Jim Matheos, Fates Warning. His tone, starting on the 1991 album "Parallels" was so awesome. Still, it took some time for me to find a PRS that I connected with.

I read the review in Guitar Player. I went to Chuck Levine Washington Music Center to gat strings,and they had one Whale Blue custom 24 hanging way out of reach behind a counter. I said is that a PRS? The salesman said, yeah, how did you know? He used to work here. I asked him if it was any good, and he shrugged. My now ex-wife said we don’t have time for this, so we left. I said to myself, I want one of those........Fast forward 20 years....I bought an SE Singlecut Soapbar as a backup guitar. When I got home, it smoked my Cherry sunburst LP Custom with the gold hardware. Then I heard Mike Dowdle’s cd, “From the Hip.” All in, all the time.

A guy in my home town in 2000. Seriously. We jammed at his house a lot, and he had one. At the time was the nicest guitar I’d ever played. Then, he sold it. It took years to find the right one but now I have two PRSes. His was a Cu22 with a thin a neck and natural flame maple. Wow.

Artists definitely didn’t influence me for buying a PRS. None of the bands I like use PRS guitars. The first time I saw a PRS was probably late 80’s in a guitar shop and it was beautiful but being in high school it was insanely out of my price range. Everything was out of my price range. I never gave them a second thought. In fact I had forgotten about them. Sometime in the early 2000s was when I paid attention next but they were “too pretty” for me. I frequent a guitar shop that’s a PRS dealer and talk with the owner about guitars a lot. He told me for years that most of the things I like in a guitar is what PRS are. Holding on the the “too pretty “ thing for much too long, in 2011 (I know that because my first PRS was brand new) I finally played one in his shop. I immediately fell in love. He was right. It didn’t take long after playing one to get over the too pretty thing and I took home a new Studio. Several PRS later the Studio is still one of my favorites. It’s hard for me to buy something other than a PRS these days. They are by far my favorite guitars. PRSh is a great company owner which does have some importance to me. The sound, feel, and what Paul has made these guitars won me over. I bought the studio over a 513. I thought the 513 was ugly. Now a Swamp Ash 513 is one of my other favorites. And I still can’t afford a late 80’s Custom.

When I joined I had two PRSi. Now I have 6. I think this forum is my current influence (keep up the good work)

I had been playing for about a year, and I went to Steve Music Store in Montreal, it was a time when rock bands were king and all the kids wanted to learn and be cool like their idol! in short, upon entering this store, it didn't take 1 minute for my eyes to already be on a guitar that looked like nothing I had seen! a PRS gold top, about 2 meters above the ground demonstrates the value of this incredible guitar, I kept this memory in mind! Two years ago I saw a McCarthy gold top and nostalgia drove me to buy this guitar, now PRS is number 1 in my future guitar picks!
92mcgeE.jpg

I think I was vaguely aware of a few artists that played them back in the 80's, but they had nothing to do with my desire for a PRS. It was mainly just the brochures, and then finally seeing them in person. They seemed to be high-end, quality guitars... something to strive for, one day.

None really but I like what Tremonti does with Alter Bridge and (especially) solo stuff. Me getting Custom 24 was rather design thing than particular artist influenced decision. I really like early Incubus stuff too, I really appreciate Wes Borland but I would't call my purchase as artist influenced. Its just Custom 24 is such a cool mix of vintage and modern while keeping strong scent of its own DNA. What really influenced me was Peach Guitars UK. I just couldn't sleep the day I saw that 35th anniversary custom 24 and I'm glad I pulled the trigger in the end. Not easy for Emergency Health Care sector worker but I'm happy I did and I fell I deserved it for last year challenges alone

Last edited:
Almost all my favorite artists play Fenders, Les Pauls, one plays Charvels (Warren DiMartini) and all the others have signature models with Jackson, Kiesle and Schecter. I love playing everything from blues to heavy metal. I was never the kind of guy who wanted to have a lot of guitars to cover all that musical territory. When I got back to seriously playing guitar after an almost 20 year break I wanted a new guitar and so I started doing research on what my playing needs are and what guitars can satisfy those needs while also being an instrument of high quality and craftmanship and of course drop dead gorgeous. It didn't take long to cross all candidates from the list except PRS. Then came the struggle of deciding which PRS :D. I couldn't be happier with PRS' playability and versatility. They are such inspiring instruments. I've become team PRS for life.

In all seriousness , this question got me thinking (Danger, Danger, Will Robinson !) that we 'Boomers are fortunate to have lived in an era of highly talented ,virtuoso guitarists . I start from the mid-to late "60's when The Beatles had already invaded, Psychedelic rock was blooming and the Blues were being re-discovered by folks in England, who heard this music that was marginalized on the major networks in the US as "race music" as was seminal Rock & Roll and the British Invaders and wanted to meet the guys behind it.

And yeah, there was Motown ... But the era of Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, Jeff Beck ,Pete Townshend., Jimmy Page, Mark Knopfler Billy F Gibbons, and Both the Allman Brothers , and their equally talented sidemen will probably never be seen again...

I'm sure I have not mentioned many others, but the main guys played Fenders and Gibsons. But like any talented athlete, put any good guitar in their hands , and magic happens. PRS didn't come along until some of them were gone, or already identified with the other two brands.

"Music" today, is generally focused on "singers" and playing the guitar is just an aside ...(or a prop)

And then, when I decided to look up a guy who's style I am diggin on (Dan Auerbach, The Black Keys) It looks like he specializes in weird, outcast forgotten guitars, or stuff that Sears used to sell !

Lets not forget Cobain's, Found in the Dumpster Behind the Pawn Shop, before they were cool Mexican made Fender Jaguar, ... so these guys aren't playin the Bootiful PRS guitar (nor could they afford one to start)

Imagine, Pete Townshend bashing a $6,000 Core McCarty over a Marshall Plexi, or Jimi, setting fire to a $4,000 Core Custom 24 ??? ;););) ...

They ... would be spending that kinda of cash on other stuff (and no, that powder ain't Kool Aid ) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
PRS was a "grail" guitar for me growing up and when I got older and in a decent financial situation I rewarded myself with one. After playing my first it really just fit like a glove. The other main reason is that PRS is one of the few brands I feel completely fine buying without trying it first, and where I live that is a very big bonus because I have to buy most of my stuff online.

No artist influenced me, it was the beauty and stories of perfection that pushed me to PRS. I had been admiring them since the early 90's or so when I first viewed them. As someone who could be described as a closet musician, there was no way I could justify that kind of money for an axe that may very well sit in it's case for 2 or 3 years between being touched. Add to that the fact that I simply did not have any money like that to spend until the mid 90's, but at that time, I was so far in the closet on musicianship, that I was not buying any music gear. Too busy spending money on my Harley's and touring the country! When I started coming out of my music closet in 2014, I was happy with my Hwy 1 Strat and Eko Kadette electrics and Martin D12-20 for what I was doing. Fast forward to 2021, and I had spent a lot of the pandemic months getting deeply into my music groove (like so many other folk). Come January of '21, I decided it was time for a PRS. Not a chance in hades I would be able to play one at a store, as the nearest worthwhile dealership is thousands of miles away, and during a pandemic, I am not traveling to try some guitars. But I trusted that PRS would not let me down. My search lasted about 30 days, then I saw "the one". I had not even decided on which model I wanted, I just knew I was going to get a PRS and be happy with it, and would know it when I see it. Ended up getting my McCarty 594 HBII Wood Library from Ish guitars. The second I started playing it, I knew I had made an excellent decision. I immediately started searching for another one and purchased a CU24 at the beginning of March of '21 (less than thirty days after receiving my first one). A third one (CU24 Private Stock) is on layaway, and I will be taking delivery on it in mid June. So in just over 4 months, I will have gone from 0 PRS's to 3 PRS's. As funds become available, I will buy more. These instruments are the finest I have ever held (which is not saying much considering my limited exposure to fine instruments) and if they end up hanging on a wall some day, they will be better than most artwork I could get in the same price range IMO!!! I will still play other stuff, but this brand has me addicted, and I am happy with this addiction! I believe these guitars have made me a better player as well. Just easier to move around and hit things right. Especially on my CU24. I like it better for action, but like the tones and weight of the HBII better.

Cheers~
MW

I was a Fender guy at first, then eventually let a few Gibsons into my universe. I avoided PRS for the longest time, because I thought they were just for heavy metal.

Didn't change that opinion until I figured out that Jen Turner played a Custom on Natalie Merchant's Wonder. That's a great tone, and not easy to achieve without a PRS.

Then I started really researching PRS guitars, and now many of my dollars are history.

Not a Finance wizard or knowledge expert by any stretch, but I have to think that one of PRS's major accomplishments would be getting the company launched in the first place ! :)

I would not want to be Paul, going into a bank in the mid eighties and saying to the loan officer "I want to start a guitar company " ! By then the guitar market was pretty mature with Fender & Gibson taking up pretty much all the air in the room. To consider that PRS came into this market, and has established itself as a smaller, but major player is no small feat. I gotta believe the guys that run PRS Marketing should teach at the countries major Business Schools ! ;) .

And after looking at the Shaun video, to see the investment in machine capital, and computer programming !
But even with all that , the degree of artisan skilled labor that goes into these puppies ...DAMM, you gotta wonder if they charge enough !

Now that said, I'm still not a customer for a $6,000.00 guitar, but should I win the lotto ?

No, PRS at its high end, is an artisan make. Fine State of the Art instruments reside there . But ..with the quality and design in the affordable stuff, the next Guitar Hero will probably be slingin' an SE, or maybe an S2...

The design is what drew me to PRS when they first came out, when I saw Carlos start playing them I knew they were worthy.

For me, it was a combination of Guitar World ads in the mid-90's and watching a live video of Silverchair (Australian "grunge" band) in the late 90's (maybe '96 or '97). At the time, my main guitar was a Jackson RR played through a solid state Crate half stack. Most of my guitar influences at the time were things like Sepultura, Metallica, Pantera, etc. with aggressive tone and body shapes. Watching Daniel Johns (guitar/vocals, Silverchair) rock a Custom 24 in Drop D through a Soldano opened my eyes to a very different approach. So first it was the tone and then it was the body shape which caught my eye. Then I have to admit, the move Airheads sealed the deal for me :). It was shortly after that, I saw a whale blue Custom 22 for the first time and I was hooked... It took another ~20 yrs before I got my first PRS (aquamarine DC594) and there is no turning back now!

Back