What Are Your Favorite Amps To Play?

Goodsell Super 17 Mk.4. Great amp, light weight, sounds fantastic in a bar band setting ( has a bit of Vox mids).
Mesa Rectoverb 25 - this is my first Mesa, bought a few months ago. Love the sound of channel 1 pushed, with dirt pedals. Currently trying different sounds on channel 2, in vintage mode (both channels set at 25 watts). The one that will always haunt me was my friends 1959 Fender Tweed Tremoluxe. Was in immaculate shape, and sounded just glorious with any guitar. When he sold it I passed, as I had just bought a Rivera Rake, and didn't have the funds.

Last edited:
A 1963 Fender Blackface Deluxe. It never leaves my house, because it's in pristine shape (so too nice to gig), but dammmmmm it sounds good.
20220702-140850-resized.jpg

For grab and go I use a Blues Jr. For more serious venues, I'll use my Allen Accomplice, which sounds great and is allegedly based on the BF Deluxe circuit, but it definitely is NOT the same.

Thinking about Les' recent comments on getting his ultimate tone, I've been experimenting recently with a touring rig........ that I may never even use :)

I took a leaf out of Mayer's book when he set up a W/D/W using a Bricasti and a pair of active big ATCs. I've got two different "wet" setups to run either side of my Two Rock centre amp, and I'm in the middle of testing the first right now. I love these experiments, as in the old days I used to run a pair of Boogies, as well as a rack of FX and some additional Boogie power amps - just never in such an orderly and (relatively) straightforward fashion. Thanks to John Suhr for making this kind of thing so straightforward; though I've no doubt that PRS could do something very similar if they wanted to, of course. No Bricasti as yet, however.

I got Mike Rutherford's stage left and right Fender Tone Masters a while back (the Zinky-era ones) and I've been feeding them with signal off a Suhr RL from the speaker output of my TR Akoya. That goes into a TC Reverb 4000, and on into the Tone Masters.

After this, I'll try running the 4000's output into a Hafler/ATC 20SL setup instead.

Conclusions so far? This much fun should probably be illegal.

Thinking about Les' recent comments on getting his ultimate tone, I've been experimenting recently with a touring rig........ that I may never even use :)

I took a leaf out of Mayer's book when he set up a W/D/W using a Bricasti and a pair of active big ATCs. I've got two different "wet" setups to run either side of my Two Rock centre amp, and I'm in the middle of testing the first right now. I love these experiments, as in the old days I used to run a pair of Boogies, as well as a rack of FX and some additional Boogie power amps - just never in such an orderly and (relatively) straightforward fashion. Thanks to John Suhr for making this kind of thing so straightforward; though I've no doubt that PRS could do something very similar if they wanted to, of course. No Bricasti as yet, however.

I got Mike Rutherford's stage left and right Fender Tone Masters a while back (the Zinky-era ones) and I've been feeding them with signal off a Suhr RL from the speaker output of my TR Akoya. That goes into a TC Reverb 4000, and on into the Tone Masters.

After this, I'll try running the 4000's output into a Hafler/ATC 20SL setup instead.

Conclusions so far? This much fun should probably be illegal.
That sounds like a party to me!

I'm worried - I'm enjoying my (Zinky) Fender Tone Masters more than my various Hiwatts, especially with a KOT and FTT Ambi-Space in front; this wasn't supposed to happen.

Cancel or allow:

Got the Mesa Cali Tweed 4:40 out this morning for a jam, and it reminded me why I had to have it. Man, that thing just sings. A different amp from the Boogie Boys, but shows that same great quality. Killer amp!

Well, I have shifted from more (or less) boogie classic mark tones from my progrock days to the other side of the ocean. Nowadays I actually only play in church and the vox and more classic marshall style sounds from my mesa transatlantic work great. I made profiles from that amp through a reactive load and IR loader in my Kemper and those have replaced the commercial Tonejunkie and MBritt profiles. Took a lot of work and try and retry, but honestly: never sounded better live.

My DG 30 Custom has taken the #1 spot over my trusty Boogie Studio .22 . It is SO delicious , certainly not for everyone, but if it fits your style it is sonic nirvana.

My DG 30 Custom has taken the #1 spot over my trusty Boogie Studio .22 . It is SO delicious , certainly not for everyone, but if it fits your style it is sonic nirvana.
I play my DG30 so often, and with such wonderful results, that mine is pretty much tied with the HXDA for #1, for all practical purposes.

Good things happen when a great recording artist specs an amp and is involved with the development. I've been with mine for over 8 years, and every time I'm impressed with something else it does. I simply don't get tired of what it does.

That's amazing, really. I never had a Two-Rock for that long, and they are FANTASTIC amps.

Incidentally, Pete Townshend (that would be gutiarist for The Who, for the young'uns) was more involved with the development of the early Marshalls than most other artists of that era.

It certainly worked. The DG 30 is kinda like that. A one of a kind, great amp.

Just my two cents. I've been singing its praises for 8 years. It also blends really, really well with pedals of all kinds. Greywolf, you ought to try it with a Pettyjohn Filter or other high end EQ pedal. It is quite simply, incredible. It responds so well when you want that little bit of 'different'.

I'm a Fender guy. Have a bunch of old Fenders from the 50's and 60's.

I like smaller amps like the Deluxe Reverb and Princeton Reverb.

Can't play loud in clubs anymore so the Deluxe Reverb or my Princeton Reverbs modified for a 12" speaker are just about perfect.

I like Celestion speakers and my DR has a made in England G12H30 like Hendrix used.

My PR's each have a 12" speaker baffle and a 12" Celestion G12 alnico from a Vox Super Beatle like the Beatles used. I have two of them.

I love my Vox AC30 but I can't use it in clubs. Too loud.

I also like Gibson GA20's from the 50's if they have the original Jensen P12R speaker. I have two of those.

I picked up a Vox AC10 last week with some Amazon gift cards I had. I really wanted a smaller amp to use in other rooms in the house other than my "studio" room and I thought it would also be interesting to have a different tonal option. I unboxed it, plugged it in, dialed in what I thought would be a starting point for a base tone…and hated it. Three minutes later I was thinking, oh well, not my thing and I’ll return it. A few hours later I sat down with it again and long story short I love this little thing. It’s a very different beast to dial in but the rewards are there. I’m absolutely loving the cleans, and by running the volume high and working the guitar volume and tone the cleans are pretty darn fat, surprisingly enough. You Vox guys are probably nodding your heads - because you know. A really fun little amp for not much dough.

1) My 1996 Bogner Ecstasy 101b standard. Lifer amp that can really do it all for me....even tight thrash metal on the red channel if set up properly. It's hallmark is its feel: a combination of woody-ness and chew that always feels great to play! Current #1 all time.

2) 1999 VHT/FRYETTE Pittbull Ultra-lead. My first "boutique" high gainer and firmly in my top 3 all time, this beast of an amp is tight, immediate, punchy....and unforgiving. Crushing rock/punk/metal rythm tone, Hiwatt inspired cleans. I love the immediacy for leads....but it does take a bit to dial in.

3)1993 Mesa Boogie MkIV. Bought for a song back in 2006, it immediately became one of my all time favorite amps. If it's Rythm 2 channel was like the "crunch" setting on a mk5, it would be top 3. Almost as tight as the Pittbull and trades off a bit of its punch for that amazing, liquid Mark lead feel and sound.

4) 2004 Soldano SLO 100. Bought it for its fabled overdrive channel...ended up loving its cleans and crunch as well! On the OD channel, it's gain sweetspot of around 11 o'clock gave a killer rock rythm tone and a lead sound that reminded me of a combination of jcm + Mark series. Leads rival the Ecstasy for me. Few amps hit like an SLO at volume.

5) 1971 Hiwatt Custom 50. My first bands first tube amp! Still one of my favorite amps: clear, percussive, punchy, but still feels great to play like most vintage amps.

6) 2007 Bogner Uberschall. Really a one trick pony IMO, but what a great it does! My way of describing the Uber is, combine a recto, jcm 800, the Ecstasy red channel and then give it even more low end and gain. Excels for rock to metal and like all Bogners I have played, feels great!!

7) 2018 Friedman BE 100. The only thing I disliked was how the HBE did not have a separate volume/gain (remedied in the Deluxe). Great cleans and amazing tight, smooth, modded Marshall goodness. Another amp that can rip for rythm and leads, due it's great feel!

8) 1993 Mesa Rev F dual rectifier. I owned a 1999 rev G and never really loved it. The rev F took what I liked about rectos and tightened things up just enough! Really, seeing the prices Mk2C+'s and pre- rev G rectos go for now, I don't know why Mesa doesn't do a reissue....

9) 2022 Diezel VHX. Every Diezel tone plus some new ones. Add in studio quality effects, intuitive programming and you have one killer rig!

Honorable mention: Bogner Shiva 20th anniversary, Bogner Helios 100, Diezel Herbert mk1 and 3, 1983 Marshall 2203

Next up: Need to try a Wizard. If it does what I am hearing does from some players in combining the punch, immediacy like a Fryette with that vintage feel, I may have a new favorite!

Back