What are you playing or practicing right now?

Tremontinator

Banned
Looked around and didn't see any threads talking about learning and advancing one's guitarnage. Hope y'all don't mind if I start a thread to talk about playing and practicing.

I play a ton of AC/DC, various bits and pieces from Mark Tremonti's career, some Black Label Society, and I dabble in PanterA of course.

Lately, I've been practicing the pentatonic scales. I know all of them from the open strings to the 22nd fret in the keys of Em/GM and Am/CM. I'm specifically working on learning other keys and learning how to float around the neck by ear and by feel.

Also been working on improving my vibrato on bends, learning bluesy licks, and I'm ALWAYS trying to write some killer riffs!

Who else has been practicing? Whataya playin?

I very very rarely 'practice' in the strictest sense. Most of my playing is a bit of noodling here and there to a backing track or with some songs on spotify.
I suppose I am trying a few new things/approaches at the moment. I've just discovered Chris Buck on youtube (check him out if you've never hear of him before, does some tasty playing and general guitar related chat). Chris has a particular style that involves a lot of sliding and bending to different pitches, and he does a lot of playing with fingers rather than a pick. So I've been listening to his playing and trying to copy a few of his techniques here and there. That's as close to practicing as I get these days.

Other guitar related things I'm currently exploring (It's not practicing guitar, but it is expanding my general guitar related knowledge so I'm counting it!) is building some of my own pedals. Strictly kits here, I'm not designing anything new, but I'm too poor at the moment to buy original pedals so this is my way building up my effects collection on the cheap. And it keeps me out of trouble for a few hours of an evening.

12:45 AM?!?!?!? Crap, I'd been in bed for five hours!

When I play, I most definitely butcher. I need to get back to learning.

Finally got the blues band on track. Gig on June 7th with an almost entirely new song list, so I have 30 or so songs to learn.

So, blues. Lots and lots of blues. There are a lot of forgotten gems out there that provide good learning and woodshedding opportunities.

"Mary Ann" by Ray Charles - I recently had a lot of fun arranging the piano and horn parts for guitar and harmonica.

I very very rarely 'practice' in the strictest sense. Most of my playing is a bit of noodling here and there to a backing track or with some songs on spotify.
I suppose I am trying a few new things/approaches at the moment. I've just discovered Chris Buck on youtube (check him out if you've never hear of him before, does some tasty playing and general guitar related chat). Chris has a particular style that involves a lot of sliding and bending to different pitches, and he does a lot of playing with fingers rather than a pick. So I've been listening to his playing and trying to copy a few of his techniques here and there. That's as close to practicing as I get these days.

Other guitar related things I'm currently exploring (It's not practicing guitar, but it is expanding my general guitar related knowledge so I'm counting it!) is building some of my own pedals. Strictly kits here, I'm not designing anything new, but I'm too poor at the moment to buy original pedals so this is my way building up my effects collection on the cheap. And it keeps me out of trouble for a few hours of an evening.

That's all good stuff my man. Good stuff indeed!

I have wanted to try experimenting with DIY pedal building but, I'm not the best at soldering. I learned how to do it at auto mechanic school and I'm good enough to repair wiring on cars but, little micro components? Yeeesh! IDK man.

Could I use my little Butane soldering iron? I forget who the hell makes it but, I got it off the MATCO tools truck years ago and it has served me and my customers pretty well. Trying to think what brand it is...

Playing a Sarah McLachlan book I found in the cupboard. It turns out she wrote some interesting guitar parts - complicated a bit because I’m too lazy to change to her tunings.

And experimenting with delay on the Kemper while I am away from the tubes.

I'm going to look her up later

Finally got the blues band on track. Gig on June 7th with an almost entirely new song list, so I have 30 or so songs to learn.

So, blues. Lots and lots of blues. There are a lot of forgotten gems out there that provide good learning and woodshedding opportunities.

"Mary Ann" by Ray Charles - I recently had a lot of fun arranging the piano and horn parts for guitar and harmonica.

You just won the thread while the rest of us had no idea it was a competition.

Blues for the win

I’m still, and will forever be practicing to sound like the guitarists you’d hear over the PA of a roller skating rink in 1983.
I had a friend whose family owned a skating rink. Friday nights were their big rock and roll night. They'd even take requests and even let people bring in their albums (remember those?) to play. One night I took All The Worlds A Stage and they played all 4 sides! A few weeks later, VH1 and Bark At The Moon.

If you're trying to sound like that, then we have that in common. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a friend whose family owned a skating rink. Friday nights were their big rock and roll night. They'd even take requests and even lot people bring in their albums (remember those?) to play. One night I took All The Worlds A Stage and they played all 4 sides! A few weeks later, VH1 and Bark At The Moon.

If you're trying to sound like that, then we have that in common. ;)

Yeah, no. I must’ve meant Saturday night. :)

Back