What are you listening to right now?

Being in the UK, we didn't really get Dokken over here. Certainly I can't remember hearing of them until I started getting guitar magazines in the late 90s
I get that. I didn't realize how much good metal, AOR, Prog, etc was coming out of Europe in the early 2000s until I stumbled upon a little CD store locally that specialized in those genres of music. Man, I sure was shocked out how good some of it was, and that I hadn't heard of many of the bands.

Another great cover from Dino, Joel and MP......dude has such a great voice.

Yeah, that there's some good stuff. Dino looks like he's 12 years old to me, which means he's... (checking...) 28, I see.

I've always loved that song, which was recorded 24 years before he was born. So depending on circumstances, it may have been current when his grandparents were young and listening to the radio. And he's into it. Or at least acting like it.

So think about that -- were y'all into your grandparent's music that much? I'll go back 20 years from my own date of birth. Glenn Miller Orchestra? Francis Craig? James Baskett? Ted Weems? Perry Como? Anyone into that stuff...?

None of that stuff is anything I even know about (okay, exception made for Glenn Miller). So what is it about rock after the 60s that gives it such staying power and makes it even relevant to later generations? The music of the first half of the 20th century pretty much didn't do that.

This is a great album! I love DP, maybe more with Steve Morse than Ritchie
I love the album. SO different with Steve, but I've always loved Steve. It's hard to compare them for me. Old DP was pretty dope.

Word is, another album is in the works. I really wanted to see them on the tour that was cancelled this year. So, maybe next year!

For the first time in weeks, I caught up on Bob & Tom early enough in the day that it was worth my time to fire up the stereo for the afternoon. So, it's the bonus discs from the Def Leppard's "CD Collection Vol. 1", Prince's "The Rainbow Children", the bonus disc from the Police CD collection, and Glen Campbell "Icon", time permitting.

Dude that's some very eclectic stuff....and I LOVE IT!!!

Yeah, that there's some good stuff. Dino looks like he's 12 years old to me, which means he's... (checking...) 28, I see.

I've always loved that song, which was recorded 24 years before he was born. So depending on circumstances, it may have been current when his grandparents were young and listening to the radio. And he's into it. Or at least acting like it.

So think about that -- were y'all into your grandparent's music that much? I'll go back 20 years from my own date of birth. Glenn Miller Orchestra? Francis Craig? James Baskett? Ted Weems? Perry Como? Anyone into that stuff...?

None of that stuff is anything I even know about (okay, exception made for Glenn Miller). So what is it about rock after the 60s that gives it such staying power and makes it even relevant to later generations? The music of the first half of the 20th century pretty much didn't do that.
Interesting thoughts. So true, too. I mean, I'm 53 so going back 20 years would be 1947. I certainly remember some of that music just from my parents (born in the 1920s) listening to it, and watching Lawrence Welk every week. I'm ok with big band music. I played sax for 4 years, starting when it was 12. I do admit, I really got into The Brian Setzer Orchestra!

I love the album. SO different with Steve, but I've always loved Steve. It's hard to compare them for me. Old DP was pretty dope.

Word is, another album is in the works. I really wanted to see them on the tour that was cancelled this year. So, maybe next year!
Totally agree, I've been a DP fan since I started listening to music. Heck, I even like the album they did with Joe Lynn Turner on vocals.

As for a new album, it was released in August. I just put it on my phone, for dog walking listening, about 20 minutes ago. I've heard a couple of songs, and really like them.

https://www.amazon.com/Whoosh-Deep-...01572796&sprefix=deep+purple+w,aps,172&sr=8-1

I saw them on their "Long Goodbye Tour" in 2018 with Edgar Winter and Alice Cooper opening. I popped for VIP tix and was in the 3rd row, right in front of Gillan. Great show. He can't scream as good anymore, but when he's not trying to scream, he still sounds great.

Totally agree, I've been a DP fan since I started listening to music. Heck, I even like the album they did with Joe Lynn Turner on vocals.

As for a new album, it was released in August. I just put it on my phone, for dog walking listening, about 20 minutes ago. I've heard a couple of songs, and really like them.

https://www.amazon.com/Whoosh-Deep-Purple/dp/B0857C18JQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1KEF5ZKQMX9NI&dchild=1&keywords=deep+purple+whoosh&qid=1601572796&sprefix=deep+purple+w,aps,172&sr=8-1

I saw them on their "Long Goodbye Tour" in 2018 with Edgar Winter and Alice Cooper opening. I popped for VIP tix and was in the 3rd row, right in front of Gillan. Great show. He can't scream as good anymore, but when he's not trying to scream, he still sounds great.

Thanks for the heads up. I read that quote from Morse about new music 2 weeks ago... must have been an old article.

Interesting thoughts. So true, too. I mean, I'm 53 so going back 20 years would be 1947. I certainly remember some of that music just from my parents (born in the 1920s) listening to it, and watching Lawrence Welk every week. I'm ok with big band music. I played sax for 4 years, starting when it was 12. I do admit, I really got into The Brian Setzer Orchestra!

Sounds like you have Schefmans Syndrome

Yesterday, the first show of the new Zappa Halloween '81 box set. What a great band, what an incredible composer and player Frank was. This was a somewhat restrained show because it was being shown on MTV (there is a DVD of it), but that band is absolute fire.

You know, Zappa is one of those guys that I am more amazed by every time I hear him. My beginning was Burnt Weeny Sandwich. Most of it was too left field for my friends. I might buy another box set. Thanks for the reminder Alan.

On one hand, Zappa is a tough one to recommend because there are so many different styles and entry points to the catalog. Even on some albums, there's such a variety of styles. For me, I had two entry points. The first was my guitar teacher telling me to buy "Dancing Fool" and try to learn it. How the idea came up, I don't remember, but I liked the song (and the flip side, "Baby Snakes"). But Zappa as a whole didn't advance w/me then. Fast-forward a couple years, and I was reintroduced to Zappa's name by two friends I worked with. They'd greet each other in the break room by bellowing, "Blow it out your a$$, motorcycle man!" That led me to buy "Zappa In New York" and "Joe's Garage", which my buddy recommended. Then I was hooked. I'm not quite completist on his stuff, but I have the vast majority of it, and even for me, there are things that I like, things that I love, and things that I haven't quite grasped yet.

Back