What are the one or two you would like back ... ?

wilerty

Geezer
Most of us have had our share of guitars over the years. We bought and sold them for various reasons to get to where we are today. Usually there are a very few we would like to either own again, or at least have back to play with for a little while. What are the one or two you would like to revisit? Don't forget the pics if you have them.

I started playing in 1961, and in 1962 ordered a new olympic white Fender Jazzmaster that I used all thru the 60s and into the early 70s until I sold it. I have MANY fantastic memories related to that guitar and would like to have it back for a little while. I have played numerous Jazzmasters since then and really don't want to own one again ... just visit one. We ordered all the Fender equipment shown in the picture together and the total cost was $1,700. The Jazzmaster is in the middle ...

scan0001-1-2.jpg

I bought a 2007 HB Spruce Piezo in natural in 2008. The guitar was the last year with the old birds and I later put SC245 pups in it. This was before the 5708s were released. This guitar was was just wonderful and a joy to play. These were about $3,000 new at the time ... I think. Even with the 10s with a wound G it was a little harder to play than the regular electrics, but the sound was spectacular. With my PS P22, I don't need to own one again, but I think this was one of the best guitars PRS ever made. Had I held unto it a little longer ... I would probably still have it.

Hollowbody015.jpg

Bill, your pic of that Fender gear brought back a lot of great memories; my first high school band had similar stuff, though I played keys, so had a combo organ and a pair of Ampegs to run it through. But our guitar players had Fender gear. Are those piggyback amps Bandmasters?

"Back in the day" we used to do shows here and there with Savatage -- I hooked Criss Oliva up with Laney (I had an endorsement at the time), he hooked me up with Charvel/Jackson (he had an endorsement at the time). We "built" one together -- Tweaked this and that, this neck, these frets, this pickup, that "special circuit" for leads, etc. After he passed, I didn't want to play it anymore out of simple depression. But that was a helluva guit-fiddle that had a helluvalotta memories behind it and I seriously regret selling it off.

The other one... Geez, don't laugh -- A Peavey Vandenburg Signature. To this day, one of the absolute best factory axes I've ever had the pleasure to swing around.

The funny part is that once the Charvel/Jackson thing came about, I couldn't play anything else live - So the Vandenburg was sitting there collecting dust -- So I sold it. If there was a guitar I ever owned that I wish I still had just because of its amazing playability and sound, that'd be it.

Bill, your pic of that Fender gear brought back a lot of great memories; my first high school band had similar stuff, though I played keys, so had a combo organ and a pair of Ampegs to run it through. But our guitar players had Fender gear. Are those piggyback amps Bandmasters?

Left to right ... Six String Bass, Bassman, Jazzmaster, Bandmaster, Reverb Unit, Strat, and Tremolux.

The other one... Geez, don't laugh -- A Peavey Vandenburg Signature. To this day, one of the absolute best factory axes I've ever had the pleasure to swing around.

I wasn't gonna post mine until I read this!!! My first was a Made in Mississippi Peavey Impact II. All mahogany with, I believe, an ebony board, if not it was the darkest rosewood I have ever seen. H-S-S with three mini toggles for maximum pup configurations, Kahler vibrato with a locking nut. Just a machine. Super versatile and my main workhorse for the better part of the very late 80s to early 90s... I wrote so many songs on that guitar... All my guitar buds made fun of it until they played the guitar and then it usually ended with "hey we are recording this week or I got this gig, can I borrow the Poovus (guitar's nickname)??? Man I miss that guitar...

The other was a custom Kramer "Tele" with an unfinished Maple neck, OG Floyd Rose Tremolo, JB in the bridge and a 59 in the neck with two 3-way mini toggles to get the versatility up there with the Poovus... Such a great guitar that I got talked out of and have kicked myself since...

Last edited:
I had one of those SG specials in white, no pickguard, three knobs, and an ebony board that I regret selling.

good man.
Very missed.
Bill back in the day!

IMG_0153_zps8756694f.jpg
[/URL][IMG/]

Last edited:
Beautiful Red late 80's Studio...killer flamey 10, birds, and an awesome neck. and Emerald Green early McCarty...best full sound ever!!!

1. 1977 Les Paul Custom that was my first "real" guitar. Wasn't a great LP, but wish I still had it for sentimental reasons.
2. An otherwise undistinguished 1994 American Standard Stratocaster that inexplicably was the best Strat I ever owned.

Freaky. This one caused a serious double take followed up with a quizzical WTF.

miss you, Buddy!

Back