What are the non-PRS guitars in your arsenal you'll just never quit?

Gnarmageddon

For me there are two other guitars that I will never, ever, under any circumstances part with.

I've got this ESP M-II Deluxe from 1995 that's been completely overhauled inside and out that is the shredder to end all shredders. Hockey stick reverse headstock and a Seymour Nazgul Custom humbucker for extra metal-ness. Not a huge Floyd Rose guy - in fact, it's shimmed into place, but that's the price of admission on a lot of these guitars.

Then there's my Schecter Tempest Deluxe that was quite literally an impulse buy. I was waiting for somebody to check out and picked it up off the wall. Twenty minutes later, I became the owner. And I never thought I'd own a Schecter anything, but the quality and tone are damn impressive. I haven't upgraded a single thing on it, never had to intonate or adjust it once, even going from factory setup to .12-.60 drop-B mayhem.

Don't get me wrong, I love this CE24 and it is usually the first thing I reach for. It does this, that and that other thing. The Schecter usually gets pulled in for super grunty DJUG DJUG chord rhythm tracks and the ESP just because I've been playing it for decades. I actually sold and donated five guitars this year - needed to pull back a bit. But those three aren't ever leaving.

I have a Heritage H150 and a MIM Strat that I don't expect I'll part with. The Strat is a lot like my first Squire that I started on when I switched from acoustic to electric, except is stays in tune better, and the Heritage is as close as I'm ever going to get to a 59 Les Paul. Unless I am desperate for money, they'll stay with me. They are seldom played, but that's another issue altogether.

Well when the house is on fire, and I can only bring 2 guitars out, the first is my PRS Custom 22 10 top from 1997- it's been my "go-to" electric from day 1. The Private stock ( which i love) can go up in flames. ( better insurance check anyway!) the second is my 2008 Taylor 810CE. IT SOUNDS AMAZING. And they just aren't the same anymore - as much as I love Taylors, my '08 810 have a nice, rich look and feel with an ebony fret board that is to die for. I play it every week live at a Lutheran Church here in the Twin Cities and I get compliments on the tone and look all of the time.
I have Les Pauls, Fenders, Washburns and others- but these two are in my mind, irreplaceable.

My number 1's...
ANf5t2E.jpg

I have a couple custom builds (one of them being inspired as a mix between a PRS, LP, and superstrat).

I also finally acquired this ESP USA Custom Eclipse not too long ago. Took awhile to find another one after missing out ages ago, but it's better late than never. This one preceded the current ESP USA division, back when John Gaudesi was under their employ before working for Schecter's 'custom shop' and more recently FMIC/Gretsch. A few things are unique that I haven't seen on other ESP's from this time or since, such as a drop top, neck carve, neck construction, and to an extent the older style cutaway.

There's a few others to stave from a tl;dr post. But these come to mind, at this time, on account of fulfilling some longstanding wishes from my bucket list of guitars I've always wanted apart from the PRSi that I do own.

Big fan of R9 and R8 Les Pauls. If there is one that is going in my tomb, it is this one:

It‘s from a run of 10 (?) “killer quilts“ From 2011.

Some of my others. The excellent quality of these is very consistent (the 3 on the right have Brazilian fret boards), and every one is M2M, non-chambered, and under 9 lbs.

Last edited:
1987 Peavey Patriot bass. I freaking love this instrument, and it is absolutely irreplaceable. The old US made Peaveys are fantastic instruments, and people are catching on a bit...still, I don't care, this is my favorite bass. Paid $167 for it, with case. Was playing bass in a band when I bought it, took it to practice, and everyone agreed - sell the Fenders I was playing, the Patriot sounds amazing. Always have my eye out for another....

patriot1.jpg

For me there are two other guitars that I will never, ever, under any circumstances part with.

I've got this ESP M-II Deluxe from 1995 that's been completely overhauled inside and out that is the shredder to end all shredders. Hockey stick reverse headstock and a Seymour Nazgul Custom humbucker for extra metal-ness. Not a huge Floyd Rose guy - in fact, it's shimmed into place, but that's the price of admission on a lot of these guitars.

Then there's my Schecter Tempest Deluxe that was quite literally an impulse buy. I was waiting for somebody to check out and picked it up off the wall. Twenty minutes later, I became the owner. And I never thought I'd own a Schecter anything, but the quality and tone are damn impressive. I haven't upgraded a single thing on it, never had to intonate or adjust it once, even going from factory setup to .12-.60 drop-B mayhem.

Don't get me wrong, I love this CE24 and it is usually the first thing I reach for. It does this, that and that other thing. The Schecter usually gets pulled in for super grunty DJUG DJUG chord rhythm tracks and the ESP just because I've been playing it for decades. I actually sold and donated five guitars this year - needed to pull back a bit. But those three aren't ever leaving.

Man, I LOVE Schecter Tempests. I used to have a white Custom, loved it. I may need another at some point...

A bunch of them, really.

* A 2013 LP Studio my brother refinished and gave to me as a retirement gift.
* A SG-J a close friend gave me after she won it at a credit union convention. It’s signed by the free credit report.com band!
* A Gilmour “black strat” replica I built with matching electronics, including the “scatter-wound” pickup done by MJ @ Seymour Duncan
* A 2010 Tele that has a mini-hum in the neck and a Jerry Donahue in the bridge.
* A Martin HD28 that is the most even toned acoustic I’ve ever owned. Sold my 914CE after comparing. The Taylor played better, but that 28 tone is the deal.
* A EBMM Stingray 5 HH. You gotta have a bass, and nothing makes thunder like a Stingray!
* A 1972 Gibson SG Standard. Because it is.
* Two Taylor T5s. A standard and a LTD. Might sell one, but have to keep one.

That‘s it. For now. ;)

Got a few that I use...
- Ibanez AG95 - the Artcore series is GREAT. Fantastic value on almost everything in that series, but the AG95 was the one I wanted for a long time. I got it because...Steve Howe; its gets me close enough to an ES-175 without blowing my wallet up.
- Squier Partscaster - Basically put, wanted my Strat back, but kinda wanted to try doing a build based off a cheap Squier and see how good I could make it. Its a great instrument, though I still want a maple neck on her because...Gilmour.
- Dean Soltero - I really love my Soltero. Those are kind of an interesting take on the Les Paul design though they feel very PRS like. Great fretwork too.
- Ibanez SR655 Bass- My first foray into 5 string basses. I got rid of the low B and instead use high C strings from Fodera.

I've got an '05 Olympic white EJ Strat. I've changed the bridge to a Callaham unit (as I had it in stock already) which solved the main design flaw of the guitar - the trem bar made out of soft cheese.
Then I've added Wilkinson's locking saddles (like on Pete Thorn's signature guitar) and notched pivot screws (so it's like a PRS) and tuning stability is rock solid even with dive bombing all day.
Next is a single coil sized P90 in the bridge and you end up with a mildly hot rodded Strat that still looks a vintage guitar. Add in that the white has mostly turned cream, the nitro has started to crack and check and I've worn through to bare patches on the back of the neck and it's starting to look like an epic custom shop relic job - only you know, authentic.
It's light weight, ergonomic and comfortable to play. And it doesn't matter if it falls off the stand. It's my guitar that's always out and often the first one I grab. I can't think of any reason why I'd ever want to get rid of it.
...... But then I can say the same about my 53/10 ltd as well.

Back