What are the non-PRS guitars in your arsenal you'll just never quit?

In the interest of full disclosure, AIN'T NOBODY gettin' that Axis out of my hands, either. NO WAY that is going anywhere but to my grandson unless I last long enough to establish that he's not going to play guitar. IF that happens, one of you guys needs it! EBMM haters-out! Floyd Rose haters-out! (You know who you are... and so do I! Hahahaha!)

That thing is PURE Rock and Roll and plays and sounds GREAT! Demo's available on request.

I know the old saying of "never say never", but I don't ever plan on getting rid of my '98 American Standard Strat. I bought it brand new in '98 and it's been through it all with me. From my college days, to traveling across the country, to playing all of the gigs I played for 13 years. Granted, it's not the most sought after Strat ever made and a lot of folks don't care much for this era, but I love it. It has the thick poly finish, swimming pool route, and it weighs much more than your average Strat. It's one of the darkest sounding Strats I've ever heard also. It plays great, always stays in tune, and aside from having to replace the pots when they finally went bad, fret work done when necessary, and replacing the nut... it's all stock. It's been dropped, banged, abused, loved, bled on, cried on, etc. There is so much sentimental value to it that I don't think I could ever part with it. There have always been other guitars around (and I love them as well), but this one has remained my #1.

hJqGyNm.jpg

No pics right now but there are 2 I won't part with ... first a 1988 first series Peavey Vandenberg signature. This was the first "real" made in the USA guitar that I had. Saved up washing dishes and cooking fry's to buy it almost new in 1989. Worth more now than I paid for it but I have no interest in parting with it.

Second is my 2014 Taylor 414 Fall Limited acoustic. It is just a beautiful instrument, sounds amazing and I can't imagine letting it go. Tasmanian blackwood back and a western red cedar top, it is the warmest acoustic tone I have ever heard.

I have a G&L Nighthawk I bought brand new in 1983. It's a great guitar and I played the snot out of it for years.

It's the first real guitar I ever had. I had played a few super cheap not so nice guitars prior but the G&Las a really nice machine. Still have it but haven't played it for a really long time.

Quite a few actually. All 3 of my Gibson Les Pauls for sure. The Studio was the first guitar I ever got so that never leaves. My R7 is the only Custom Shop/Historic instrument I own and it's fantastic. It'll never leave. I recently got an 85 Standard that's all original too. I bought it from one of my best friend's Step Dad. He can't play anymore due to deformation in his hand. So he sold it to me for a great price because he knew I liked that guitar. My Gibson SG won't go either because it's fantastic player and sounds amazing (2016 Standard with P90s). Heck I've got a lovely Epi Sheraton I upgraded that my wife really likes too so that's not going. I've also got a couple Charvels I really like - including a 1982 and 1983 San Dimas - a couple really good Strats and my Gretsch 5422 that was made the same year my son was born (so he has a birth year guitar if he ever wants it).

I have a '93 SRV Strat that I bought new - I would never let it go. I bought the Strat on August 8, 1994 and it's never left my side.

My '90 Rickenbacker 360/12 is another keeper. My family all came together and gave me the guitar as a high graduation gift. It's a reminder of happier times.

My '95 Dick Dale Strat - it's just a riduculously cool guitar, and Dick played it in '96. He made fun of my "wussy" 11-50 strings. He signed it four different times in four different places.

There's quite a few that I can't part with, but the one that stands above all the rest is a 1979 Yamaha SA2000 that I bought new in 1979. It's been re-fretted once and could probably use it again. WCR Darkburst pups in it. Repaired headstock crack.

A couple dozen guitars and half a dozen horns, but I'm not connected with any other instrument the way I am with this guy. We just understand each other completely.

SA20004.jpg

Im an complete Ibanez guitar nut. Like I'm that annoying guy that knows way way too much about that guitar company guy haha
I've currently got a
Paul Gilbert owned PGM 300 that id never sell period.
Plus my first proper guitar which is a 1987 rg550 that I found in bits in a box in the back of a shop in Tokyo that me and my dad built back up together into a working guitar again
I've got a 1983 roadster deluxe that's been gigged and busked nearly to death
I've also go an Ibanez project guitar with a S series body sandwiched with an old RG neck that once finished will be a never seller.
I've also got a Deering banjo that is a never seller as my gf bought me it for my 30th and is a very useful instrument to be able to play and certainly another instrument I never plan to sell. The photo was when it was new, plenty more wear on it now ten years later ;)

It’s almost too easy to play.
There’s a totally different vibe and attitude that comes on when I play it.:cool:
Definitely the kind of guitar you wanna be playing fast and heavy! :cool:;)
Looking at it just reminds me of the last time I saw Slayer with Jeff in the band. I got squashed in the middle of a huge wall of death and got my arm dislocated. There were many walking wounded after that pit I can tell you haha

Looking at it just reminds me of the last time I saw Slayer with Jeff in the band. I got squashed in the middle of a huge wall of death and got my arm dislocated. There were many walking wounded after that pit I can tell you haha
There was nothing like a SLAYER show, for sure!

They were even more dangerous with seating.

A friend of ours worked at a record chain and regularly rigged the ticket lottery. We got third row seats for Clash of the Titans and my buddy Pete… LOL! He got f@cked up at that show.

First, we were all deaf after the second song (always wear protection), then he got hit in the middle of the forehead when Dave threw his sticks into the crowd. He took a direct hit with the base end of the stick, we all watched in horror as the huge welt developed and started cracking in real-time.

Then, Kerry tossed some picks a few songs later and one landed right on the floor at the seat in front of him. So he bends over the seat to pick it up when this 300 pound hesher in a Whiplash shirt dove over two rows, right on top of poor 160 pound Pete who was now pinned with the chair back straight into his gut. The tussle for that pick lasted at least a minute… poor guy.

They were even more dangerous with seating.

A friend of ours worked at a record chain and regularly rigged the ticket lottery. We got third row seats for Clash of the Titans and my buddy Pete… LOL! He got f@cked up at that show.

First, we were all deaf after the second song (always wear protection), then he got hit in the middle of the forehead when Dave threw his sticks into the crowd. He took a direct hit with the base end of the stick, we all watched in horror as the huge welt developed and started cracking in real-time.

Then, Kerry tossed some picks a few songs later and one landed right on the floor at the seat in front of him. So he bends over the seat to pick it up when this 300 pound hesher in a Whiplash shirt dove over two rows, right on top of poor 160 pound Pete who was now pinned with the chair back straight into his gut. The tussle for that pick lasted at least a minute… poor guy.
Yup Slayer, Pantera, machine head and Coal Chamber definitely had the craziest pits. I'd put coal chamber at the top as I fractured my knee cap at that show.
I called it a day being in the pit after that one :S
Slayer are top guys tbh
Tho I used to roadie for my mates band raging speedhorn who were supporting them on their European tour. We got stoned, got the munchies and ate Slayers pizza. Man I nearly got killed and booted of the tour for that one! Haha

Last edited:
Back