What are the differences between Archon 25 combo and Archon 50 combo

GrumpyOldDba

Besides the top output can anyone please break down any differences between these combo's?

I already have the MT15 hooked to a Mesa cab but am looking for a combo for band practice at home and who knows might use the archon combo playing out.

GC has a bunch of used 50 and 25 watt combos at some really nice prices.

Thanks John

Is it just different power tubes? Can you put in a set of whatever the 50 has into the 25?

What about speaker in cabinet?

Sorry PRS does not seem to have specs for 25 on website any longer or maybe i am looking in wrong place.

Is it just different power tubes? Can you put in a set of whatever the 50 has into the 25?

What about speaker in cabinet?

Sorry PRS does not seem to have specs for 25 on website any longer or maybe i am looking in wrong place.
Yes, power tubes. No, I do not believe you can put the tubes from the 50 into the 25. Too much power.

Both use a “customized“ V30.

5881s are really nice tubes and I’ve wanted an amp to use my vintage set. Never thought of the low watt Archon, but now I am.
6l6wgb.jpg

I find all the negative remarks about the 25 interesting. The one I tried was new, and I wrote it off as my not caring for the speaker in the combo. Bodia says there’s no competition. Yet they should sound almost identical at most volumes and not all that different even when pushing the power tubes. Yet several hear have had them and didn’t think they compared.

I know the 50 watt head is an AWESOME amp. I wanted to love the 25 watt combo, but A) didn’t and B) I tried it in a store and didn’t dial around on it much. Now that I know the amps controls inside out, I’d love to try one again. As much as I love the 50 with a 1x12 Thiele/EM12, I’d love to try a combo with an EM12n, or an ET65 or of course, a scumback.

Do it already. I’d like to see you post a New Something Day, since it’s something I’ve never seen! I’ll forgive the Santana thing if you do :p
But I’ve got a few nice things now...it’s tough to want for much when you buy smart the first time around. Although, the thought of a Santana stuffed with EVH pickups crossed my mind a few minutes ago. Not sure that’s been done before.

But I’ve got a few nice things now...it’s tough to want for much when you buy smart the first time around. Although, the thought of a Santana stuffed with EVH pickups crossed my mind a few minutes ago. Not sure that’s been done before.
Good point.

I could totally get behind that Santana plan!

Back