What are the 10 most important guitar chords to master first?

springfield01

As many newbie in playing guitar, I'm confused with many things, especially guitar skills. I knew that guitar has many chords and I'm wondering which are most important guitar chords should I master first ?

What do you want to play as far as music goes?

What DHW says, +1, would be primary consideration. Having said that, for starting out, go with some basic major chords:
  1. C
  2. D
  3. E
  4. G
  5. A
As these are the easiest "open", or first position chords and don't require learning to barre, which is placing the fore finger over all 6 strings. Then, add some minor chords to help round out the family:
  1. Am
  2. Dm
  3. Em
Any of these can be "barred" to give you the whole spectrum. One of the most important, and hardest to learn (was for me) is the "F", which is the "E" with the first fret barred. This is, of course, and again, using all 6 strings. I would recommend using the shorter version of "F" on just the 1st 4 strings.

For a more illustrated version, you can Google "guitar chord diagrams" and get tons of links, but one of the first I think that gives you a good picture of fingerings, etc, is found here: http://www.8notes.com/guitar_chord_chart/.

Good luck, and btw, welcome to the forum!

What DHW says, +1, would be primary consideration. Having said that, for starting out, go with some basic major chords:
  1. C
  2. D
  3. E
  4. G
  5. A
As these are the easiest "open", or first position chords and don't require learning to barre, which is placing the fore finger over all 6 strings. Then, add some minor chords to help round out the family:
  1. Am
  2. Dm
  3. Em
Any of these can be "barred" to give you the whole spectrum. One of the most important, and hardest to learn (was for me) is the "F", which is the "E" with the first fret barred. This is, of course, and again, using all 6 strings. I would recommend using the shorter version of "F" on just the 1st 4 strings.

For a more illustrated version, you can Google "guitar chord diagrams" and get tons of links, but one of the first I think that gives you a good picture of fingerings, etc, is found here: http://www.8notes.com/guitar_chord_chart/.

Good luck, and btw, welcome to the forum!

I'll add B and Bm to fill that out to 10. You can play about a gazillion rock songs with those ten chords.

I'll add B and Bm to fill that out to 10. You can play about a gazillion rock songs with those ten chords.

Yep, meant to add them, but I also thought of them as being in the "barred" family, growing from the A and Am positions, sorry, :redface:

And then learn all of those as power chords and add f and f# to the list. You won't be playing anything rock like for long before you'll need power chords. And for the love of god learn the octave 3 finger version... you can always lift your pinky but not having it trained sucks. You learn those 22 chords and you will be able to play dang near anything.

Back