What Are Some Of Your Favorite Solos? Let's Discuss!

The solos that really moved me to be a lead player are what Murray/Smith threw down in "Powerslave" from the Live After Death record.

This Michael Denner solo from "the Black Horsemen" has always knocked me back. This was hugely inspirational - not just the lead, but everything under it compositionally. It was my goal to be able to be this melodic and have every part of the song contribute to the emotional impact of the song.

There are obviously MANY solos that move me to be a better player. However, these examples helped me develop as a total writer. That was always first for me - writing songs that impart emotions.

Difficult for me as I love so many. But, the Clifford Ball version of Bathtub Gin has always been one to take me places. The "jam" starts about 4:30 in or so and is pretty much built up over the next five minutes or so.....Trey is a master at building tension and then resolving it. To me, he does it better than anyone when it comes to "popular" music.

And I have always loved this version of Guajira. Mainly because Carlos lets his brother Jorge rock out for a bit. He isn't as "notey" as Carlos. But the feel is there and it flows well into the rest of everything......

And let's face it, this entire song, and this performance is just one, long, sick solo!

Last edited:
David Gilmour: Almost anything
Brad Gillis: The solo on Sentimental Street is a clinic in how to get into and out of a solo, from vocal handoff to touchdown pass back to the chorus.
Elliot Easton - Shake It Up, perfect energy and fit for the song
Carlos - Samba Pa Ti, Revelations, Europa… many more
EVH: Eruption. It was that, exactly.
SRV: Tin Pan Alley, a schooling in dynamics
Jeff Beck: Because We Ended As Lovers, quintessentially JB

As I type one, another comes to mind. I could list hundreds, and still be missing hundreds more.

I have always love the intro solo on Sweet Jane from Lou Reed's "Rock and Roll Animal" album! Played by Steve Hunter (aka The Deacon), it is 3 minutes of beautifully placed melodies and structures that always blows my mind!! When that comes on my playlist, I crank it!!!

Of course, there are dozens of others, but that is my contribution for now!

Pretty much the whole of "Desert Rose" by Eric Johnson, but the outro solo always makes me want to play the song a second time.

Larry Carlton's solo on Steely Dan's "Kid Charlemagne" is perfection, as is his outro.

The most concise and cleverly arranged solo ever. No wasted notes, the right scale for the progression, perfectly played.

My runner-up is Stairway to Heaven, and yes I know, how trite by now, but it’s a timeless solo.

One of very few solos I've learned note-for-note. Such unique phrasing.

Pretty much the whole of "Desert Rose" by Eric Johnson, but the outro solo always makes me want to play the song a second time.

Larry Carlton's solo on Steely Dan's "Kid Charlemagne" is perfection, as is his outro.

One of very few solos I've learned note-for-note. Such unique phrasing.
True!

Back