What are PRS SE Custom 24 differences?

kovacs

Hi folks, my first post here so be nice. I wanted to check out the PRS SE Custom 24 series but most stores around here have limited opening hours and some refuse visits due to the virus (understandably) so I wanted to do some research first.

I've always been a PRS fan since my days as a guitar student around 1990 but never actually owned one. The non-SE range is out of my budget but I see so many rave reviews for the SE that I figured maybe it's time to buy in.

I see that there are many SE Custom 24's available but the prices vary a lot, as much as 50% difference between the cheapest and most expensive SE C24.

I tried to search for "prs se custom 24 variations" etc but find nothing really helpful so I figured I'd ask the experts.

So - What is it that makes various Custom 24s cost differently? What should I look for.

i am a classical guitarist by training (non-professional) and dabble in jazz/fusion.

Thanks.

There's 2 models, basically; the SE Standard 24 and the SE Custom 24.

The Standard is all Mahogany and the Custom has a maple top. It's also worth noting that the Standard is cheaper, but you get what you pay for at this price point. I found the Standard to be noticeably cheaper in feel, to the eye, the plastics, hardware, etc. The custom is nicer quality and it's worth it to pay the extra for that.

I have some SE guitars, they're all maple top versions, I don't own a Standard and I don't want any more cheap gear. For the price of a new Standard, you could get a used Custom. You buy a Standard and don't like it, then it's hard to get any money back.

I'd recommend the Custom maple top. It's nicer quality, you can get one for a good price used.

Thanks!

But my question was specifically about the Custom 24. There are many of them available at different prices, so I was wondering what the different prices reflect.

edit: I plan to buy new in order to support my local dealer.

I believe what you are referring to are the different special runs of the SE Custom 24. Right now there is the normal SE Custom 24, SE custom 24 Floyd and the 35th anniversary SE Custom 24. Apart from those there are also exotic series that use different veneers of exotic woods.

Most of them have the same basic specs apart from wood choice. The big differences are the Floyd on the SE Custom 24 Floyd and the pickups and switching system on the 35th anniversary. I just recently got a 35th anniversary model and really love it so far, the SE range definitely punches much above it’s price point.

Thank you!!! I see now that some have rosewood veneers while some have maple tops. That explains why two very similar looking guitars at my local guitar shop's website are priced so differently.

I went in and talked to a guy who was very helpful and seemed to know a lot about the PRS models. They had no Custom 24 SE's in store but he was going to try to get some new deliveries soon. The trampas green is very tempting.

I got to try a SE Standard 245 which was a good, solid guitar. I liked the pickups! And I did get to try a CE Custom 24 and wow what a nice guitar that was. But probably way out of my budget right now.

Thank you!!! I see now that some have rosewood veneers while some have maple tops. That explains why two very similar looking guitars at my local guitar shop's website are priced so differently.

I went in and talked to a guy who was very helpful and seemed to know a lot about the PRS models. They had no Custom 24 SE's in store but he was going to try to get some new deliveries soon. The trampas green is very tempting.

I got to try a SE Standard 245 which was a good, solid guitar. I liked the pickups! And I did get to try a CE Custom 24 and wow what a nice guitar that was. But probably way out of my budget right now.
I like the 245s but I’m not really a single cut guy. The neck on the single cut is a bit more “filling” than the se custom 24 models. The ce has some obvious differences but that neck.....that neck is heavenly on it. My se cu 24 had a great neck but not like the ce neck....sorry I’m salivating. Lol

I believe what you are referring to are the different special runs of the SE Custom 24. Right now there is the normal SE Custom 24, SE custom 24 Floyd and the 35th anniversary SE Custom 24. Apart from those there are also exotic series that use different veneers of exotic woods.

Most of them have the same basic specs apart from wood choice. The big differences are the Floyd on the SE Custom 24 Floyd and the pickups and switching system on the 35th anniversary. I just recently got a 35th anniversary model and really love it so far, the SE range definitely punches much above it’s price point.

You’re right on the money here. Personally, I love the clarity and snap of the 85/15s, which come on the Custom 24 by default. But it seems that many players find those pickups a bit thin, and really love the TCI S that come on the 35th Anniversary Model. The TCI S are also in the SE Paul’s Guitar. I haven’t played them, but to my ear they sound a bit rounder and warmer than the 85/15S. But that’s just from listening to samples online. Again, I personally love the 85/15S, but I’m coming from a single coil/mini-humbucker background, and I require maximum clarity.

In any case, there’s an SE for every taste. I personally love the wide thin neck and the 25 inch scale on the Custom 24.

Last edited:
Back