What about using difusors in front of the speaker to spread the sound dispersion

There has been quite a bit of debate in the guitar-gear community about these "beam-blocker" type diffusers (Weber Speakers has had the popular one for a while) versus the "foam donut" style diffusers. If you follow this Google search you'll get a glimpse of the conversations, back & forth in support of one or the other. [The "beam blocker" type that you've asked about seems logical initially; the "foam donut" seems logical from a physics wave-theory perspective.] But whether either of them really do what you want is really up to your ears, the specifics of your gear & playing environment, etc. The "YMMV" effect seems very strong in this debate.

Anyhoo, there is one video out there demo'ing a couple solutions. It doesn't exactly cover the product you asked about, but it does show the center-type beam-blocker style (using a small foam circle in the center) versus the foam-donut style:

Last edited:
Jay Mitchell developed the foam ring. He says, and I believe showed data to support, that it is sonically superior to “beam blocker” type devices. I didn’t click any links yet, but most people who argue with Jay are not really educated enough to be arguing with him... And he usually lets them know that. :D

Jay Mitchell developed the foam ring. He says, and I believe showed data to support, that it is sonically superior to “beam blocker” type devices. I didn’t click any links yet, but most people who argue with Jay are not really educated enough to be arguing with him... And he usually lets them know that. :D
I’ll add, that doesn’t mean a beam blocker won’t work for anyone... might even be better than the foam ring for some.

Diffusing and blocking are pretty different things acoustically. For better diffusion, it actually helps to get a speaker cab off the floor so the sound radiates in a more even way, and you’re not hearing as much floor reflection that can muddy the sound (this is called half space reflection in acoustics).

A little thing that blocks the dust cap isn’t really an effective high frequency blocker. If you want to be able to control high frequency beaming, try a gobo. I use one of these in my studio in front of the cab when I want to isolate it and not pick up bleed into the mic from other instruments, or reduce volume in the room, but it also takes care of that high frequency beaming you can get on-axis. A side benefit is that it absorbs volume.

I use this brand, because it is extremely high quality, but there are many other brands. It’s also very light weight.

http://realtraps.com/p_minigobo.htm

Diffusing and blocking are pretty different things acoustically. For better diffusion, it actually helps to get a speaker cab off the floor so the sound radiates in a more even way, and you’re not hearing as much floor reflection that can muddy the sound (this is called half space reflection in acoustics).

A little thing that blocks the dust cap isn’t really an effective high frequency blocker. If you want to be able to control high frequency beaming, try a gobo. I use one of these in my studio in front of the cab when I want to isolate it and not pick up bleed into the mic from other instruments, or reduce volume in the room, but it also takes care of that high frequency beaming you can get on-axis. A side benefit is that it absorbs volume.

I use this brand, because it is extremely high quality, but there are many other brands. It’s also very light weight.

http://realtraps.com/p_minigobo.htm

That pretty well nails it. ^^^

I have built gobos and you can make them pretty easily and inexpensively with fiberglas insulation and the framing of your choice.

You can also go the Bonamassa route
https://www.robchapman.tv/forum/threads/joe-bonamassas-baffle-explained.11576/

For my own sick purposes I use a load box and cab IR and skip the acoustic gymnastics.

I've tried the Weber beam blockers years back and just found the sound to be odd at best, especially on a 212 cab. As pointed out above, I just would use a load box and run direct. So many great and easy to use tools to get the sound you need direct these days.

I used Beam Blockers for years and just within the last year or so removed them from all my amps. They do disperse the high end, but also seem to cancel other frequencies where I'm standing.

Well in the end I modified my cabs back and it actually works ... I made my version of a Barefaced cab. It really makes a difference, no need to stand directly in front of the cab anymore to hear the definition and volume. Now I can be 45 or 90 degrees off axis and all is good. Will keep on making these in the future if the cab is too directional.

Last edited:
Back