What about a 594 junior

Jez

From everything we hear the 594 is proving to be a very popular model.

The idea of a guitar with a vintage heart and soul but without the inherent issues of an old guitar and modern execution seems to have caught player imagination and i for one love my 594's vibe.

I would love to see PRS extend the current 594 philosophy to the zen like simplicity of an old junior guitar. Old school juniors have been played and loved by rock and blues guitarist for decades.

So the dream was a 594 SC with no fancy top or carve, 594 scale length, simple dots or moons, single pickup, I liked the idea of a slightly tweaked 408 pickup that would give you a single coil and a
humbucker in the same space for added tonal pallet.

The obvious place for what some would see as an entry level guitar would be in S2 line but for me a decent upgrade in the mahogany for the neck and body would be well worth the extra to not be S2 and not be bevelled.

Just a passing thought but the 594 concept is pretty pervasive idea.

Please add your comments would good to hear if I am not alone

maybe if you play an SE One you will have your modern take on a junior. (..slightly different scalelength).Ok, It's
an SE, but who does really care?:confused::confused:

I dont see a lot of the SE ONE's about.
Certainly not a snob about it. Just think applying the same ethos of the 594 to a junior wood make for a cracking rocker.

I looked at some of the satin SC and without seeing one it might be better having the solid Mahogany body but carved hard to tell what it would look like as a slab.

I think juniors are a delightful accident the thicker neck joint, lower magnetics, simple tone controls, old woods, light machine heads etc all work to give great classic guitars.
It often seems if you start doing stuff to posh them up fancy bridges heavier tuners they lose that special quality.

It would be a cool idea! I could get in line with that. I guess what I meant by the SE One was that it is one of those unexpected pleasures you stumble across. Total diamond in the rough.

Just a comment that the One was a P90 equipped rocker and the OP was asking for a splitable 408 humbucker. So different animals IMO.

The original Junior was an entry-level instrument and the least expensive of the Les Pauls. No frills, all business. It seemed fitting that PRS, which at the time had no lower cost USA production alternatives, release a Junior-like option in their entry-level instrument line. IMO, PRS captured the Junior's character better than the original maker did with their reissue. The thought of a meticulously built One, though maybe a bit sacrilegious, is brilliant!

The thought of a meticulously built One, though maybe a bit sacrilegious, is brilliant![/QUOTE]

I don't want to highjack the OP's thread, so sorry for that. I believe Hans said in another thread that he at one time did spec out a PS One. Maybe his spec's would be a great platform....

Well I would be happy for PRS to reimagine the sound of an classic P90.
My thoughts of a tweaked 408 style might were just me trying to square my own personal circle I have two home built old Honduras slab style juniors one with a Fralin p90 the other with a no name humbucker I had laying around.

I just like the idea you could have the primary coil as a standard p90 lay out dual magnets large coil then being able to knock off some of the wind and add in the humbucking coil would probably sound crap but it was just about squaring my own personal circle.

If PRS did a 594 with just a single p90 I would be there the rest is just personal wish list

I believe Hans said in another thread that he at one time did spec out a PS One. Maybe his spec's would be a great platform....
Hans has crafted several One variants into works of art thru PTC. Floyds, Bigsbys, 408, \m/, Deepdish, you name it, and they were incredible. I'd be ok with an S2 single cut, tobacco burst, single P90, with a wide-fat neck.

Excuse a new boys ignorance here.

Hans PTC ???????

Excuse a new boys ignorance here.

Hans PTC ???????
Hans is a long time member and moderator with an insane collection. The PTC is the best place to get your PRS worked on. It's a part of the PRS factory.

I would love to have a 1 pick up junior type guitar.

Can be plain jane with hog body/neck/rosewood bird, dots (or inlay) and just 1 humbucker in the bridge!!

OK I read the Harem take 2 thread and now I get it, great collection and obviously a great collector interesting stuff.

An S2 One Satin would be very, very tempting. Utilize the existing S2 Singlecut Standard platform. Just change the routing and pickguard. Toss in the same G&B P-90 used on the SE guitars, which is very well liked. Seems like a low tooling investment if the demand is there. They could make it the least expensive USA-made PRS to ever hit the market. Throw in some reclaimed woods, sit back and count the money flowing in.

Even that is dreaming, so I wouldn't expect anything else unless the 24.594" scale becomes more pervasive in the lineup.

The existing SE One is a pretty fantastic guitar though. Definitely fits into the low-price performer ethos. A great platform for mods as well. My fave is the one Hans has with the narrow 408 pickup. Those pickups are equally great in humbucker and split mode.

I like Hans' approach, too...one One for every pickup you could possibly want. :cool: I'd take one with a small 408 and one with a Starla pup, too. Mine has an old Gibson mini humbucker in it and it sounds so good, I can't justify taking it out, yet. Crud, now I want a few more guitars. :oops:

I like Hans' approach, too...one One for every pickup you could possibly want. :cool: I'd take one with a small 408 and one with a Starla pup, too. Mine has an old Gibson mini humbucker in it and it sounds so good, I can't justify taking it out, yet. Crud, now I want a few more guitars. :oops:

See! You just got one, and now you want another! It's not just me! :D

An S2 One Satin would be very, very tempting. Utilize the existing S2 Singlecut Standard platform. Just change the routing and pickguard. Toss in the same G&B P-90 used on the SE guitars, which is very well liked. Seems like a low tooling investment if the demand is there. They could make it the least expensive USA-made PRS to ever hit the market. Throw in some reclaimed woods, sit back and count the money flowing in.
This seems like a winner to me.

Back