What A Wonderful World

That sounds great!

I must admit however, I stopped with about 20 seconds to go. I listened using Safari on my iPad. At the far right of the sound level graphic of the player, there’s a little avatar picture of the guy who commented to try to get you to use a promotions service to get listens. I’m probably a bit too cautious in these things sometimes, but I don’t understand why the avatar pic of a commenter shows up in the graphic representation of your recording. Could be lots of reasons. I do not mean to accuse that commenter of anything untoward. Why bring it up then? If there is a problem, I wanted to make sure Alan is aware. If it’s just a thing that SoundCloud does that I haven’t noticed before, this will be an opportunity for one of the quality folks here to reassure that all is well.

Again, great stuff!

Nicely done sir. Tell me about your recording process.:cool:

This one was actually pretty basic. EZ Drummer 2 - although I tried to replace them w/Steven Slate Drums. Could not get that to work. I'm not sure if it's that I got so used to EZD, or I just didn't find the right kit or what. EZD does have a much better system for slapping together a drum track from MIDI. Spoiler alert - the next track ended up being all drums I played into MIDI, so that one is all SSD.

Bass is my PRS bass through the Tech 21 Geddy Lee rack thing. I love that for bass tracks. The rhythm is my new SE Hollowbody Standard - that fit so well. I ended up using it a lot lately. Melody ended up being my PS along w/the Electro-Harmonix B9 pedal judiciously mixed in. I love that for thickening things up, but you have to watch because it's pretty touch-sensitive and sometimes it gets away from me. Solos were the PS. And some organ in the background - Arturia plug-in, I believe.

How does the mix work? After a while, I start doubting myself on that.

That sounds great!

I must admit however, I stopped with about 20 seconds to go. I listened using Safari on my iPad. At the far right of the sound level graphic of the player, there’s a little avatar picture of the guy who commented to try to get you to use a promotions service to get listens. I’m probably a bit too cautious in these things sometimes, but I don’t understand why the avatar pic of a commenter shows up in the graphic representation of your recording. Could be lots of reasons. I do not mean to accuse that commenter of anything untoward. Why bring it up then? If there is a problem, I wanted to make sure Alan is aware. If it’s just a thing that SoundCloud does that I haven’t noticed before, this will be an opportunity for one of the quality folks here to reassure that all is well.

Again, great stuff!

Intersting - I'll have to take a look at it. I know they were popping up the avatar if someone commented at a certain point in the song. This one sounds like a spam thing. I'm not sure how much spam SoundCloud filters out, but a fair bit does seem to get through. At best, I think my comments stuff is about 50% real people, 50% spam. But that might be generous.

This one was actually pretty basic. EZ Drummer 2 - although I tried to replace them w/Steven Slate Drums. Could not get that to work. I'm not sure if it's that I got so used to EZD, or I just didn't find the right kit or what. EZD does have a much better system for slapping together a drum track from MIDI. Spoiler alert - the next track ended up being all drums I played into MIDI, so that one is all SSD.

Bass is my PRS bass through the Tech 21 Geddy Lee rack thing. I love that for bass tracks. The rhythm is my new SE Hollowbody Standard - that fit so well. I ended up using it a lot lately. Melody ended up being my PS along w/the Electro-Harmonix B9 pedal judiciously mixed in. I love that for thickening things up, but you have to watch because it's pretty touch-sensitive and sometimes it gets away from me. Solos were the PS. And some organ in the background - Arturia plug-in, I believe.

How does the mix work? After a while, I start doubting myself on that.
Thank you for that.
I've been mucking around with MT Power drums and SSD as well. I believe the MIDI mapping is different between the two.
I'm getting my feet wet in recording again after years of recording nothing. What DAW and interface do you use?

Thank you for that.
I've been mucking around with MT Power drums and SSD as well. I believe the MIDI mapping is different between the two.
I'm getting my feet wet in recording again after years of recording nothing. What DAW and interface do you use?

Sorry for the delay - wanted to get into the DAW before I started spouting nonsense about the drum stuff! :confused:

I've found the MIDI mapping between the packages maddeningly frustrating. For this tune, I did the guide drums (and ultimately the final drums) on the Basic kit in EZ Drummer 2's Modern package. Three mounted toms, two floor toms. Loaded up the Classic Classic Vintage kit in SSD, and it mapped the toms differently. On top of that, it took a while to get the right MIDI stuff set for one of the floor toms. I had the note number it said, but it wasn't mapping correctly. I think I mapped the drum to a different note and it was suddenly happy. SSD has mapping options, so theoretically you can just pick EZD 2 from the list and it all transfers over. Doesn't seem to work that way for me. I've done a couple where I copied the MIDI stuff from EZD to an SSD track, and I have to do some tweaking to get it to work right. And then I usually reprogram some of the stuff by playing live through an Alesis ControlPad. SSD seems to respond more realistically to dynamic playing - EZD always seems to treat the notes as at or near max velocity.

For DAWs, I've used ProTools since v9 and for the last few years I've been using Logic. I've gradually moved more and more towards Logic, mostly at the urging of Les and Sergio, and partly because PT started getting a tad wonky on my older Mac. The version of Peaches En Regalia I finished last year is (so far) the last PT thing I've done, and to be honest, I'm pretty ecstatic with the sound. I'm not sure why it seems so much better to me, but I really love how that turned out. But the wonkiness has kept me away from it when I want to get stuff done more quickly, which is kind of frustrating because I think I'm better w/PT (or at least used to be). For interfaces, I still have my MBox Pro II that I started with, but now it's slaved to a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 that I picked up last year. I still have some auxiliary outputs from keyboards and modules routed through that because the Focusrite didn't have enough 1/4" inputs for those, and this got them out of the patchbay.

I feel like I use about 10% of the capabilities of this stuff. I did pick up a book that Les recommended for Logic, but I haven't gotten through enough of it. I tend to use it when I run into trouble. I think that's part of why I don't get as much out of these DAWs as I could - I tend to go to the references in times of trouble (because Mother Mary stopped coming to me), so I don't find out about some great tricks I could use. I do find the tips columns in Sound On Sound magazine to be great for that kind of stuff.

And it all beats the crap out of working on my old Roland VS-1880!

That sounds great!

Again, great stuff!

Hey - thanks again for pointing this out (and for the compliment). I checked that out - looks like a spam account. I clicked on their profile, and no surprise, they had nothing posted and all of their comments on all the tracks they commented on were exactly the same. I've removed that, so if you want to listen to the last 20 seconds (no spoilers!) and catch the dynamic ending (I said that w/a straight face even!), go ahead. It's all clear.

Back