What’s your opinion on using a Private Stock as a main instrument?

Playing for me is all about the music that’s in my head, so I don’t need a PS for that. My main is a Paul’s SE and it already has enough X factor on it. Also, simply owning and seeing my PS in pristine condition makes me happier than playing them. I can’t fight the math.

If you are not going to play it, don't buy it. I have a number of one off guitars and low number of builds as well as one I had custom built by another very well known company and I play them all. I have gigged every one of them. I am very careful with them but am not afraid to take any of them on stage and give it a workout.

It's a guitar and its purpose is to help one make music. I think it is a shame when an excellently crafted tool does not get used for their intended purpose. Of course I don't have a PS and if I did I'd be very nervous about taking it out to the local dive bar. My 594 does make occasional appearances at the local dives.
I do have a "sacrificial lamb" for gigs at Bob's Country Bunker type dives!

Why not?

As long as you can accept any battle scars as part of your journey and memories together and not 'worry' about the financial costs (or losses) then why not?

They are built to be played as a main instrument, whether the customer plays them or puts them on the wall as 'art'. There is no reason NOT to play unless you are buying as an investment or art-piece in which case,the closer to 'As New', unplayed condition the more 'valuable' it could be but otherwise, play it!!!
Excellent point. Investment in guitars or other instruments can be tricky. I always planned to play this one--so less than MINT was always in my calculation.

I can't afford private stock but I couldn't own a great guitar without gigging it although I would probably cry for a long time if anything serious happened to it beyond the usual battle scars.

The man whose guitar is worth more to him un-played, is not a guitar player (caveats are applicable however) ;~))

These are not holy relics (and even if they were, you should play them anyway IMO)! Obviously, live gigs are going to introduce elements that can have detrimental effects on your prized git fiddles (smoke, spilled drinks, drunks tripping over stuff and falling into it, bass player tripping on cord and knocking it off stand, thieves, etc.) but if it is the guitar that feels best for a given situation, you gotta do it!!! Great new score (looking forward to the NGD even though I have already seen it and lusted for it on first offer from CME) and cheers to many more!!!

Back