What’s your most $pendy guitar?

Ah ok. I had one that I sold to a person in NY a couple of years ago. Just seemed like a coincidence! It was a really nice guitar and I've considered getting another one. Looked like this:

IMG_0516-M.jpg

Great guitars! though ever-so-slightly topheavy... I think the long scale contributes a bit to that. Still, it isn't prone to neck dive; a leather strap has enough friction to keep it nicely in place. Just a different kind of balance for somebody who's used to PRSs, Les Pauls & Strats. Certainly not as bad as the Epi Wildkat which uses a similar one-piece carved body (and is nearly as topheavy as my SG Custom). Here's mine - I think it's called Sunset Glow but I'll need to check the papers to be certain - actually I'm not sure whether finish is even listed on the COA.

The Fylde Oberon I bought in the early 70s. Its serial number is in the 200's.

I bought it from Progress Mill in Kirkham North England which was Roger Bucknall's workshop back then. I could only choose from the 2nds (not for supply to retailers) so all those had some imperfection or blemish). I spent the day pleasantly with Roger and his 2 co-luthiers.

I have no idea what the adjusted price would be today. and I wouldnt reveal it if I did.

http://www.fyldeguitars.com/index.html

The Taylor 618E First Edition on the right:
TATi48h.jpg

#34 of 100, she had a stunning Bearclaw Spruce top that I could never get pics to show correctly to go along with a 3 piece Maple back. She was right around $3000ish list, but the shop I got her from had just hosted a Roadshow and was offering 10% off on all Taylor's and he honored that even for the new Grand Orchestra series. She was gorgeous and sounded incredible...until you tried to record her. The ES2 system drove me nuts, to the point I actually contemplated yanking the entire thing for a K&K. Also, and this is going to sound really silly, she was mint, not a ding, scratch, flaw anywhere and the longer I owned her, the worse that weighed on me. Eventually my OCD over dinging her and the ES2 disappointment led to her becoming a case queen and I finally made the hard decision that it was time for her to go.

The GC7 on the left is really the only guitar that I can say I actually miss and would buy back if the funds and opportunity converged. For being a supposed finger picker type guitar, she covered a lot of sonic territory and she did the majority of the acoustic work on what I was recording during the time I owned her. I traded her for a killer 555 12 string.

I’m actually trying to do the opposite of setting records for spendy guitars. My goal has been to get a great carved top PRS that compliments my existing lineup for not too much dough. Out of four PRS, only gone over $2,000 once (by $150) - for a 10-top DGT. I’m totally ok with that being my most spendy guitar.

Sooooo much Koa goodness! That second picture really gets me :) I love that you went with a Braz neck on it!

Thanks Paul. It has a strong flame when viewed straight on...but from that side angle, there’s almost a tubular quilt effect. She is gorgeous, and sounds amazing. Given the choice...I’ll go with a Brazilian neck every time.

Back