Votes: 6 13.3%
  • 40%

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • 50%

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Above 50%

Votes: 11 24.4%

• Total voters
Grail...I guess I’ll quantify this with a guitar that has the ability to inspire me to create. A guitar that has a magical quality that gives me a certain feeling when I play it. It doesn’t necessarily need to be a one off guitar with crazy specs or looks, just one with intangible qualities that give me that “oh yeah” feeling. Quite frankly, I stop paying attention to the looks once I’m playing and it’s only the function of the guitar and the feeling it gives me when I play it. If you can add great looks that make you weak in the knees, great.

I spec’d my PS out to be all those things obviously. It hits all the marks for me. Yet I can can love my beat up black McCarty standard just the same. I like that it’s kinda worn and well used. It was like that before I got it. It’s hard to put a percentage on it for me. If I keep a guitar for any length of time, I prefer not to get rid of it unless I absolutely have to.
Yes indeed, that’s a kind of magic! Great definition..

Per your request :)

One of the 1st 2 Ziracotes.

A similar inspiration made me reach for this guitar. Though it lacks the wicked curl yours has!
PELTySA.jpg

you have to be a reasonably skilled player to understand what a really good guitar is so it's a journey of both player and guitar.
I found 2 holy Grail guitars I recently did a count I've owned 84 different guitars in 22 years, so I'm about 1 to 2% hit rate.
It took a long time to filter through mediocre guitars, mediocre pickups, and mediocre playing. I really learned that I do not get along with Stratocaster's.
I personally identified the parameters that were the most important for excellent tone for me. And good playability. Looks were secondary but still desirable if possible.

About 3 years ago I made a list. saying I have to stop buying 2 or 3 guitars per year just by 1 or 2 and stick with it. I know what I want.
The guitar must have
1. Jumbo frets, I cannot play minor 7th barre chords unless I have jumbo frets, and helps all aspects of my playing. bending and barre chords
2. Nitro finish, many years ago I finally pulled the trigger on the Fender custom shop 63 telecaster with Nitro, there was no turning back it is my 1st holy Grail guitar. the string dynamics picking dynamics were remarkable for me. lightbulb finally went off. OMG.
3. Single coil or splitable PAF, I stumbled across the bareknuckle mules many years ago, seems like the only satisfying humbucker after trying all 30 on the market, the alnico IV magnets get rid of all the mushiness of alnico II's. and are just remarkable single coil splits.
4. String through body, or stoptail wraparound, after owning 10 different Les Paul's and even the 594 I just do not like the string dynamics of a 2 piece bridge.
5. I really seem to prefer the PRS 24.5 inch scale, or the telecaster,
6. Lightweight guitars, 7.5 pounds or less.... my custom shop telecaster is hand selected lightweight alder 6.4 pounds, unbelievable sustain and picking dynamics.

but my number 1 holy Grail find with upgrades is a 2009 Ted McCarty double cut Limited edition 24.5 inch scale with nitro finish and jumbo frets.
I put the mann-made bridge on their, after deep testing multiple head-to-heads the one piece aluminum has less clarity on string attack the man-made adjustable saddles is a superior bridge for hearing individual strings ring out.
bareknuckle mules alnico IV uncovered also beat out the slightly mushy 57/08, coil splits are to die for.
I've nicknamed the guitar Scarlett.
It seems to do everything possible, I can make it sound like a telecaster I can make it sound like a Les Paul I can make it sound like a Stratocaster, the bending of notes and picking dynamics are out of the world with the nitro finish in the short scale. I've stop looking at other women, I mean other guitars.
Scarlett,..... clearly the most exquisite pieces of wood available are contributing to the mind blowing tone. the mahogany is beautiful 7.2 pounds sustains amazing, I've let several others play it absolutely the 1st thing they remark about it just goes and goes and goes with open chords. holy Grail equals religious experience?
Jyn3tFC.jpg

the Maple top reminds me of the graveyard series PRS did. three-dimensional Maple flame.
4KPuSHg.jpg

wraparound stop tail 24.5 inch scale remarkable picking dynamics soft rubbery strings, for bending, dynamics, vibrato, you definitely have to learn a delicate touch but it's rewarding.
yQo9d4L.jpg

the Brazilian Rosewood is so smooth rich dense high quality, I'm in heaven about 2/100 hit rate.
KWpJkoF.jpg

you have to be a reasonably skilled player to understand what a really good guitar is so it's a journey of both player and guitar.
I found 2 holy Grail guitars I recently did a count I've owned 84 different guitars in 22 years, so I'm about 1 to 2% hit rate.
It took a long time to filter through mediocre guitars, mediocre pickups, and mediocre playing. I really learned that I do not get along with Stratocaster's.
I personally identified the parameters that were the most important for excellent tone for me. And good playability. Looks were secondary but still desirable if possible.

About 3 years ago I made a list. saying I have to stop buying 2 or 3 guitars per year just by 1 or 2 and stick with it. I know what I want.
The guitar must have
1. Jumbo frets, I cannot play minor 7th barre chords unless I have jumbo frets, and helps all aspects of my playing. bending and barre chords
2. Nitro finish, many years ago I finally pulled the trigger on the Fender custom shop 63 telecaster with Nitro, there was no turning back it is my 1st holy Grail guitar. the string dynamics picking dynamics were remarkable for me. lightbulb finally went off. OMG.
3. Single coil or splitable PAF, I stumbled across the bareknuckle mules many years ago, seems like the only satisfying humbucker after trying all 30 on the market, the alnico IV magnets get rid of all the mushiness of alnico II's. and are just remarkable single coil splits.
4. String through body, or stoptail wraparound, after owning 10 different Les Paul's and even the 594 I just do not like the string dynamics of a 2 piece bridge.
6. Lightweight guitars, 7.5 pounds or less.... my custom shop telecaster is hand selected lightweight alder 6.4 pounds, unbelievable sustain and picking dynamics.

but my number 1 holy Grail find with upgrades is a 2009 Ted McCarty double cut Limited edition 24.5 inch scale with nitro finish and jumbo frets.
I put the mann-made bridge on their, after deep testing multiple head-to-heads the one piece aluminum has less clarity on string attack the man-made adjustable saddles is a superior bridge for hearing individual strings ring out.
bareknuckle mules alnico IV uncovered also beat out the slightly mushy 57/08, coil splits are to die for.
It seems to do everything possible, I can make it sound like a telecaster I can make it sound like a Les Paul I can make it sound like a Stratocaster, the bending of notes and picking dynamics are out of the world with the nitro finish in the short scale. I've stop looking at other women, I mean other guitars.
Scarlett,..... clearly the most exquisite pieces of wood available are contributing to the mind blowing tone. the mahogany is beautiful 7.2 pounds sustains amazing, I've let several others play it absolutely the 1st thing they remark about it just goes and goes and goes with open chords. holy Grail equals religious experience?
Jyn3tFC.jpg

the Maple top reminds me of the graveyard series PRS did. three-dimensional Maple flame.
4KPuSHg.jpg

wraparound stop tail 24.5 inch scale remarkable picking dynamics soft rubbery strings, for bending, dynamics, vibrato, you definitely have to learn a delicate touch but it's rewarding.
yQo9d4L.jpg

the Brazilian Rosewood is so smooth rich dense high quality, I'm in heaven about 2/100 hit rate.
KWpJkoF.jpg
Gorgeous!

I put 1%, because honestly if the market was good enough, I'd probably sell almost all of my guitars.
I spend more time looking at them than playing them.

The guitar must have

Jyn3tFC.jpg

4KPuSHg.jpg

yQo9d4L.jpg

KWpJkoF.jpg
Fantastic Ted!

You know, the "holy grail" thing can be funny sometimes; ...But then I picked up an MC-58 McCarty model with 57/08's and it's like, "Whoa! Holy crap! THIS is it!" and magically now my LP—which itself was a holy-grail—feels like a cheap toy by comparison. Funny how these things happen.

This adds a whole new layer to the discussion: That our holy grails can be dethroned. Choose wisely, my friends.

Also, your comment about your LP feeling cheap by comparison resonated with me. You literally just relieved my LP itch. I’ve been looking at them a lot lately. I don’t have one. Even though I kept reminding myself that for the same money I could get soooo much more in a PRS Singlecut, I was still looking at them. So, thank you for that.

I dunno, but these guys showed up recently to jam and I wouldn’t let them in due to social distancing.

I
guess maybe the dude in front right gets it.
Those guys probably should social distance most of the time, based on how long they apparently stayed in their armour.

Now Zoot, on the other hand, does not need to socially distance herself in any way at all...ifyaknowwhatimean.

I reject the notion of a "Holy Grail" guitar. I've owned several guitars that had been on my long term "bucket list" over the years, and have ended up selling them. The reality of their performance never fully lived up to my expectations. While I loved them for a while after buying them, inevitably they slowly diminished to being rarely played. The guitars I come back to and play the most were purchased as high quality, highly versatile tools - my two piezo equipped PRS, followed by my 594 and my Tele. There are still a couple of instruments that I have lusted after since I was a kid, but I fear spending the money to get them, as it is unlikely they will live up to my fantasy expectations.

Those guys probably should social distance most of the time, based on how long they apparently stayed in their armour.

Now Zoot, on the other hand, does not need to socially distance herself in any way at all...ifyaknowwhatimean.

Naughty, naughty Zoot! Perhaps we should span....

Never mind:oops:

To quote Deep Purple on a slightly different topic:

It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase.
Sweet Lucy was a dancer
But none of us would chance her

Just finished reading Gilan's autobiography. Great read, and this story was in it

Maybe a holy grail is just something you are willing to overpay for. Not that you have to, but you would be willing to rather than miss the opportunity. There could be any number of reasons for this.

Maybe it’s partly too much Jamison’s.

Maybe it’s partly an amazing neck hand shaped by a well known and respected guitar maker.
CK_24ViolaNeckDetail.JPG

Maybe it’s top with a captivating figure, coloured with dye powder.
CK_04ViolaTopDetail.JPG

Maybe it is prototype pickups.
CK_17ViolaPickups.JPG

Maybe you just have a thing for mammoth ivory and want a little bit to call your own.
CK_15ViolaHeadstockTopNeck.JPG

And maybe it just sounds so incredibly good that you just want to be able to listen to it whenever you want.

Maybe a holy grail is just something you are willing to overpay for. Not that you have to, but you would be willing to rather than miss the opportunity. There could be any number of reasons for this.

Maybe it’s partly too much Jamison’s.

Maybe it’s partly an amazing neck hand shaped by a well known and respected guitar maker.
CK_24ViolaNeckDetail.JPG

Maybe it’s top with a captivating figure, coloured with dye powder.
CK_04ViolaTopDetail.JPG

Maybe it is prototype pickups.
CK_17ViolaPickups.JPG

Maybe you just have a thing for mammoth ivory and want a little bit to call your own.
CK_15ViolaHeadstockTopNeck.JPG

And maybe it just sounds so incredibly good that you just want to be able to listen to it whenever you want.
I like the way you post!

Back